Where can I pattern a shotgun? (Central Indiana)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Anyone have any suggestions for a range that will let me pattern a home defense shotgun?

I'm in the north suburbs of Indy and have called around to a few local indoor ranges, but most don't seem to allow buckshot on the range, only slugs. I've already got a few different flavors of 00 buck to try, and I'm looking to test them at 10-15 yards. I'm not a member of an outdoor range like MCFG. I've been up to Indy gun club once before, but I can't recall if they have a standard range or if it's all Trap, skeet, sporting clays.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is there anyone willing to let me tag along as a guest at a local club one day?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you are willing to drive down to Seymour I will take you out to pattern a shotgun. So long as my wife doesn’t yell at me. I love shooting buckshot.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Know anyone with a farm? That'd be the cheapest & easiest. Buckshot isn't going to fly across a field and be damaged on the other side.

When I have patterned shotguns in the past, I've found sheets of drywall to be the best target. Cut into 2'x2' squares, you get 8 targets from each sheet, and it's really easy to see where every shot hit even with #8 shot.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you are willing to drive down to Seymour I will take you out to pattern a shotgun. So long as my wife doesn’t yell at me. I love shooting buckshot.

I'm down with that. You just have to promise not to twist my elbow out of socket again. :stickpoke:

Not sure if you remember that or not. It was at the Managing Confrontations class at Parabellum a couple of years ago.

I still remember it ... every time it rains.

I keed. I keed.

Kind of.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm a member of the HHRP club. Our outdoor range is at Gnawbone. I'd be happy to take you out there.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Two places come to mind:
    1. Point Blank Carmel. Last time I went there, they ONLY allowed birdshot. No slugs.
    2. Indy Trading Post. Small/short range and great place to test.

YMMV.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm down with that. You just have to promise not to twist my elbow out of socket again. :stickpoke:

Not sure if you remember that or not. It was at the Managing Confrontations class at Parabellum a couple of years ago.

I still remember it ... every time it rains.

I keed. I keed.

Kind of.

No promises. Incidentally I have learned the same principal applied to the head and neck yield similar but more spectacular results. Ha Ha. I kid......sort of......

I would be happy to give you a shotgun crash course.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Point Blank Carmel. Last time I went there, they ONLY allowed birdshot. No slugs.

Lately when I've been to PBGreenwood they only allow slugs.

jKREHFL.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I think I'll call up to Indiana Gun Club first because they are the closest to me.

I actually went in there looking for a side saddle and possibly a light mount but they didn't have anything for a defensive set-up. It was a nice shop with a ton of guns, but the accessories seen to be for support shooting only. It seemed c kind of odd for a place with so many shotguns.

If they don't work out, I'll send a few PMs to those that offered.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I think I'll call up to Indiana Gun Club first because they are the closest to me.

I actually went in there looking for a side saddle and possibly a light mount but they didn't have anything for a defensive set-up. It was a nice shop with a ton of guns, but the accessories seen to be for support shooting only. It seemed c kind of odd for a place with so many shotguns.

If they don't work out, I'll send a few PMs to those that offered.

There are a couple shotgun threads right now with people giving all sorts of suggestions on accessories. I will sort the wheat from the chaff for you. Skip the side saddle and get a Velcro Shot shell card to stick on the side. I use the ones from Ares Gear but there are others out there. Wipe the gun receiver down with alcohol, apply industrial Velcro, stick card with elastic loops to the gun. Easy, works and nothing to break.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Anyone have any suggestions for a range that will let me pattern a home defense shotgun?

I'm in the north suburbs of Indy and have called around to a few local indoor ranges, but most don't seem to allow buckshot on the range, only slugs. I've already got a few different flavors of 00 buck to try, and I'm looking to test them at 10-15 yards. I'm not a member of an outdoor range like MCFG. I've been up to Indy gun club once before, but I can't recall if they have a standard range or if it's all Trap, skeet, sporting clays.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is there anyone willing to let me tag along as a guest at a local club one day?

Are you just going to pop at a big piece of cardboard a few times over the afternoon or early evening?
    Or are you looking for a big white pattern board?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    10-15 yards with buckshot will not require a large target or board. Depends on the gun and the load of course. My gun with 18” IC barrel will easily keep 8 pellet Federal flight control completely on an 8” paper plate to at least 20 yards. 25 yards it may put a pellet or two outside of the plate but still easily places all pellets within a Q target. I shot a 4x4 standing on end at 12 yards and all pellets were on the board. Since the longest shot in my house is 12 yards wall to wall that means that gun would place every pellet in a 4”x4” area.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Are you just going to pop at a big piece of cardboard a few times over the afternoon or early evening?
    Or are you looking for a big white pattern board?

The first option.

I'm in an apartment currently, so longest distance I would realistically ever need to shoot is about 15 yards. That's the distance from the door of back bedroom, through the hall to the front door. All other shooting angles are less than 10 yards.

I am looking for a load with a minimum of 4-6" spread at that 10-15 yd range and a consistent pattern overlay.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The first option.

I'm in an apartment currently, so longest distance I would realistically ever need to shoot is about 15 yards. That's the distance from the door of back bedroom, through the hall to the front door. All other shooting angles are less than 10 yards.

I am looking for a load with a minimum of 4-6" spread at that 10-15 yd range and a consistent pattern overlay.

A few of us normally shoot at Elwood Conservation thur or fri late afternoon and usually sat or sun afternoon if you are interested. A guest costs five bucks. Its on the south side of Elwoon on County Line Rd. Its easy to find.

Top Bottom