Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Rusty Mosin Nagant

I bought a Mosin from Classic Firearms and to say the least it was A LOT more rusted than what I was expecting. I want to strip off as much rust and pitting as possible, then plan to put on a cheap home bluing kit. I'm looking for suggestions on a solution or method that is easy and effective to strip off the rust. I was thinking CLR or even vinegar might work but I wasn't sure of any adverse effects they might have on the weapon, such as the bore (which is actually in good shape). Any advice of ideas would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Cbrs; 1 Week Ago at 15:25. Reason: add image

Plinker

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I don't have advice on the rust, but thanks for showing what those Mosins looked like. I have a feeling the pictures they were using were not quite representative of the guns you'd get (granted, they did say they would have rust in the description).
    Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom.

Plinker

User Info Menu

The description was clear about the rifles having rust and pitting. I just wasn't expecting the rifle to have as much as it did. It is a functioning rifle, and by no means is this post a jab at Classic Firearms. I have purchased several other guns from them, including other Mosins, and all have been great. I think in this particular case my expectations were just too high.

User Info Menu

Naval Jelly?

Go check out some old post on "The Box o' Truth". That guy refurbed several MN's.
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    I have received and I have given. Usually at different times. But sometime at the same time.

User Info Menu

Look up electrolysis, it works on badly rusted cast iron. If all the parts you want to clean are steel I would think it would work on them, research it well though. Not sure what effect it would have on removing the bluing.
    The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    Look up electrolysis, it works on badly rusted cast iron. If all the parts you want to clean are steel I would think it would work on them, research it well though. Not sure what effect it would have on removing the bluing.
    I use electrolysis all the time on "new" old guns with rust issues. It works amazing and will remove ALL the rust without harming the metal (as long as you don't get carried away). It is VERY easy to do. Try it, you will be surprised.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger......except Bears......Bears will KILL you

Master

User Info Menu

First off let me say I am not a gunsmith nor have I ever applied any bluing or other finish on a gun. Having said that, so long as the bore is good and you plan to re-finish it anyway what about plugging the barrel & chamber and just sand blast it or soda blast it? That would strip off the rust and expose the good metal underneath while also removing any other contaminates that may be on the surface

Plinker

User Info Menu

I think that would be the best option, but I don't own a sand blaster and I think the cost of even a cheap blaster would outweigh the cost of the gun. Good idea, but not economical in this case.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner concentrated gel and medium steel wool. It doesn't take a lot, just a pea sized dob on the steel wool and it will turn the rust into an orange goo that wipes off. Do small areas at a time and it will NOT take off any original blue or even scratch a good spot of original blue. If you want the original blue off as well then use the same product with a Scotchbrite pad and only the clean metal will remain. Their Gun Blue is just as easy to reblue the weapon after you are done cleaning.

I tried all the cold blues but I keep coming back to this one. Gloves, a heat source, cotton balls, the blue paper shop towels and one of their blue kits is all you need. Enough to do 3-5 whole guns if you aren't wasteful. You can go over what bluing is already there or start from the metal in the white.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast