• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Looking to take the plunge the black Friday sale post made me think now maybe a good time to build my first. I have a couple questions when piecing together an AR.

stripped lowers..... is a metal psa stripped lower comparable to a bcm stripped lower? or are there big differences in the machining of the actual lower?
    It seems to me people are only concerned with the internals?

also is there somewhere to buy all the "little insignificant" parts? all the parts kits I see come with a stock I don't want a trigger... I don't want.... but being a novice I don't really want to be tasked with buying all the little stuff but also don't want a bunch of junk I don't want just to get those parts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have built maybe 3 complete rifles from the odds/ends/left overs etc from various AR builds/Mods. Never really bothered me to have some extra bits to help out when a buddy or Ingo member lost or broke something.

You can get on MidWay USA and do some piecing together if you look. Sometimes the best way to buy all those bits is in a kit.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Right now you'd still be money ahead by buying a PSA kit for $299 and a stripped lower for $40 then changing out the trigger as opposed to buying all the pieces separate. Couldn't say that a couple years ago. Only reason to piece one together is if your wanting a particular barrel, handguard, and BCG that doesn't already come as a complete URG

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    many companies that sell LPK also sell them sans a fire control group if that helps.

as for the stripped lower question...I have zero experience putting together a 'high end' lower. PSA/Anderson have been my only experience; and I have no complaints. But then again I am not in it for the most accurate rifle ever nor the best looking. mine are range toys but have many, many rounds through them and all seem about the same as day one.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Short answer is no not all lowers are created equal but they all do the same thing. To some extent you get what you pay for, and there is a point of diminishing returns. Whether or not it is "worth it" is an individual question and evaluation. Just my $0.02, but cheaper lowers like Anderson/PSA etc are fine for plinking or range work, but not serious use/personal or home defense etc. Aero Precision is kind of my middle ground, good quality that I'll trust my life to, but doesn't break the bank. BCM, Daniel Defense, etc are great quality with reputations to back it up which you're going to pay for.

You can buy lower parts kids without the trigger and grip if you want, I have a couple from CMMG. I'm sure others sell similar kids. The nice thing about ARs is they're like legos so you can build it how you want it. However if you're building it yourself, everybody ends up with spare parts in order to try out a different grip, stock, trigger, hand guard, sights, etc.

It all depends on what you want, what you'll use it for, and how much you want to spend.

Looking to take the plunge the black Friday sale post made me think now maybe a good time to build my first. I have a couple questions when piecing together an AR.

stripped lowers..... is a metal psa stripped lower comparable to a bcm stripped lower? or are there big differences in the machining of the actual lower?

also is there somewhere to buy all the "little insignificant" parts? all the parts kits I see come with a stock I don't want a trigger... I don't want.... but being a novice I don't really want to be tasked with buying all the little stuff but also don't want a bunch of junk I don't want just to get those parts.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    There is a lot of lpk (lower parts kits) out there with different triggers or safety throws or whatever. If you are not sure what you want.. Go to redbarnarmory.com. They will leet you piece together what you want. You can upgrade what you want and skimp on what you dont care about. They have it laid out so youre not missing any pieces.

As for recivers. There is a difference, but either will run fine. The issue is with fit and finish. The forged unmatched recieves have an issue with stacking tolerances and longevity.
    Matched billet receiver sets will be much better quality. You will not have fit issues. They just have that "feel" of quality. Just:twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

There are many "little" parts in an AR15, but there simply are no "insignificant" parts. You pretty much need every part in there.
    I know what you mean, but...

Unless you plan to enter into combat, a PSA or Anderson will suit your needs fine, without wasting your hard earned dollars.
    There are more expensive, yes, but I don't want to pay the difference for looks.
    If appearances mean that much to you, there are stripped matched sets available from most all makers for a slight increase in price.

Note, AR15's are, for the most part, mix & match parts. You can purchase your parts from virtually any manufacturer you prefer, and they are a drop-in fit.
    There are exceptions. There are a few companies now that sell "quick disconnect" upper/barrel combinations.
    One upper, several different barrels, all able to be swapped out without tools, and in seconds.
    The AR10 platform, now that's another animal entirely.
    There are lower parts kits available that are sold without a trigger, or without the entire fire control group, or with enhanced springs...
    You can buy just the buffer tube alone, then add the spring/buffer/stock...of your choice.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok I am going to piggy back on the OP's post. I would guesstimate about a year ago I bought a PSA stripped lower. I haven't completed the build yet, although I do have a complete lower parts kit from PSA with a Blackhawk Mil Spec buffer tube & stock kit. So next I will be looking at an upper. Prices seem to have dropped and a complete upper can be had for as low as $219. Obviously you get what you pay for but what should we stay away from & what is gtg? If I am mostly going to shoot PMC bronze, Federal ammo to punch holes in paper what twist rate should I be looking at? I keep seeing it depends on bullet weight but I have a mix of 55g and 62g, so will it make that much difference?
    Only AR experience I really have is with an Oly that has a 1:9 rate and is "button rifled", which leads me to whats the difference between standard rifling and button rifling?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    My goal is to build a .300bo pistol for whitetail..... if anyone has any feedback on that it would be great. I am considering buying the psa complete pistol lower ....... and then a short barrel <10” bcm complete upper

and then I will switch out trigger guard for a bigger one for gloves possibly.... and trade out trigger for a Larue.

And add some sort of sling..... with so many options and never using a sling it’s a daunting task lol

what makes a pistol a pistol and a rifle a rifle.....? Can you put a rifle buffer tube on a pistol and then attach a pistol brace? For extra length? Or is the length what classifies it as a pistol?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My goal is to build a .300bo pistol for whitetail..... if anyone has any feedback on that it would be great. I am considering buying the psa complete pistol lower ....... and then a short barrel <10” bcm complete upper

and then I will switch out trigger guard for a bigger one for gloves possibly.... and trade out trigger for a Larue.

And add some sort of sling..... with so many options and never using a sling it’s a daunting task lol

what makes a pistol a pistol and a rifle a rifle.....? Can you put a rifle buffer tube on a pistol and then attach a pistol brace? For extra length? Or is the length what classifies it as a pistol?

A pistol for whitetale. I need to follow this. Curious as to where this will go.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I never thought about it before, but is there barrel length limitations for center fire rifle cartridges?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    300bo is a legal cartridge for whitetail in Indiana. Coming out of a rifle it is legal on private land pistol it is legal on public and private.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a set minimum length for an AR in rifle config. 21"s comes to mind but I may be wrong in this.
    Any shorter and you are in pistol territory. I have a 10.5" barrel with a Sig brace on it. It is a pistol.

I am sure someone will be along to either correct me or confirm.

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    Ok I am going to piggy back on the OP's post. I would guesstimate about a year ago I bought a PSA stripped lower. I haven't completed the build yet, although I do have a complete lower parts kit from PSA with a Blackhawk Mil Spec buffer tube & stock kit. So next I will be looking at an upper. Prices seem to have dropped and a complete upper can be had for as low as $219. Obviously you get what you pay for but what should we stay away from & what is gtg? If I am mostly going to shoot PMC bronze, Federal ammo to punch holes in paper what twist rate should I be looking at? I keep seeing it depends on bullet weight but I have a mix of 55g and 62g, so will it make that much difference?
    Only AR experience I really have is with an Oly that has a 1:9 rate and is "button rifled", which leads me to whats the difference between standard rifling and button rifling?

1:9 twist should be fine for the 55gr and 62 gr bullets. Off the top of my head it will probably be ok as long as you're not trying to shoot 77 gr SMKs or similar, but I might be wrong with stuff in the upper 60s. To answer your second question, button rifling manufacturing technique in which a carbide button is pulled through the barrel blank to make the rifling pattern. https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2017/11/21/3-methods-of-barrel-rifling-pros-vs-cons/

Top Bottom