• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've never dropped a scoped rifle hard before. Just wondering if and what might be procedures to check through to test or check for damage not obvious?

Nikon Buckmaster scoped Encore with stainless .308 barrel. I was switching rifle bags when I set it against something I shouldn't have and before I knew it, it crashed to the concrete floor.

There are scratches on the barrel at the muzzle, not into the crown area. I don't readily see marks on the scope, but the configuration of the gun had to have it hitting, maybe first. Polymer stock and forearm show nothing much.

Thanks in advance for the advice. The gun is in the bag, ready to go to the range.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally I feel confident that my AR-15 would keep zero even after a hard drop , but it's a Trijicon. I would personally go re-check the zero on that Nikon. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The gun has been to the range twice in the last week. Never made it out of the car. Other guns were the priority. Same reason I had the gun out of the case, making way for a gun that wouldn't fit in another case. I put a Bellm spring kit in the gun last winter and it hasn't been shot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Range trip. Box test.

Do folks have decent results with Nikons tracking well that haven't been dropped? From what I've read about them in recent times, I had given to think that the scope was to be used solely for holdovers anyway?

Maybe you mean to see if the scope will mechanically adjust at all?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Do folks have decent results with Nikons tracking well that haven't been dropped? From what I've read about them in recent times, I had given to think that the scope was to be used solely for holdovers anyway?

Most scopes tracking should be tested. With your scope chances are very low it tracked before it was dropped, and for your purpose (always holding over). I would just check zero.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Newer Nikons aren’t known for tracking well at the extremities of travel, nor for returning to zero from such.

For just holding zero, it should be ok.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I dropped my buckmaster equipped ruger off a table onto cement. No worries. Pretty tough outfit. Shoot to confirm it though.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I recently dropped my Win M70 barreled action on a concrete garage floor. The Leupold scope bell was dinged, there are a number of deep scratches, and I broke the trigger blade. I replaced the trigger with a Timney and shot it today. Zero was off just a bit but it adjusted and has maintained zero for 25 more shots.

Thanks, Dinny

sniper1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Forgot to add...shoot a box drill.
    Draw a 2"x2" x2" x2" box with dots on corners.
    Shoot from 100yrds.
    1 round aimed at low left dot.(zero adjustments)
    *adjust scope 8clicks right. (scope 1/4" per click)
    aim at same low left dot..impact should be low right dot.
    * adj. scope 8 up. fire 1rnd
    * adj. scope 8 left. fire 1 rnd
    * adj. scope 8 down. fire 1 rnd.
    Always aim at left lower dot for each round.
    Should have shot a 2" box when done.
    This will comfirm scope is good for hunt.
    You can shoot a larger box size...if needed.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nikon Buckmasters have plastic guts. It'll be more prone to something shifting in a drop than a quality scope.

Check zero. Then run a box test. See if it passes.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I wouldn't worry about tracking. Those are set it and forget it scopes. Probably won't track new out of the box.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I wouldn't worry about tracking. Those are set it and forget it scopes. Probably won't track new out of the box.

I agree with that, but I would still do it. Not as much to test accuracy as much as I'd like to make sure nothing broke internally. If you dial up, over, down, and back and you get sort of close, I would call that good and sight it back in. If you start to do the box drill and it becomes obvious the internals are no longer working, then you know it's time to ditch the optic for a new one.

Aflac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I didn't have good luck when my Nikon fell. But it's a good chance to go to the range and make sure. Worst case you can always send it back to Nikon for work if it is broke. Check and see it it has a life time warry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Follow up on OP. Shot the .308 barrel and scope last year. Everything was fine. Didn't even have to change zero.

Fast forward to this year. Muzzy season over, so I switched the Encore back to the .243 barrel.

Was taking the muzzy barrel to the safe and slipped/tripped stepping up on the porch. Only thing that kept me on my feet was slamming the scoped muzzy barrel onto the wooden porch hard. It hit perfectly sideways. Looks fine, scope reticle still seems straight. I may have to break down and re-sight it in though next year? :xmad:

Apparently, I'm trying hard to break something on this gun? :dunno:

Top Bottom