• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoomOfMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Im borrowing a family members gun to go hunting. Ive never been hunting, problem 1. #2 not my gun. Its a 308WIN with a 1 in 12 twist, T/C compass. It has a Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12 x44 scope. #3 never shot a gun with a scope that wasnt already set up. Also the scope was mounted on in the back room of Gander Online and shoots a 3in group at 50 yards at an indoor range.

I need some pointers and alot of ready materials. Any input would be helpfull.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Im borrowing a family members gun to go hunting. Ive never been hunting, problem 1. #2 not my gun. Its a 308WIN with a 1 in 12 twist, T/C compass. It has a Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12 x44 scope. #3 never shot a gun with a scope that wasnt already set up. Also the scope was mounted on in the back room of Gander Online and shoots a 3in group at 50 yards at an indoor range.

If that gun is shooting 3" groups at 50 yds off of sand bags, you need to make sure all the screws are tight, get the nut behind the trigger some more practice and try some different ammo.
    That gun should do 1" at 100 yds easily.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If that gun is shooting 3" groups at 50 yds off of sand bags, you need to make sure all the screws are tight, get the nut behind the trigger some more practice and try some different ammo.
    That gun should do 1" at 100 yds easily.

^All of this.
    My first suggestion is to try different ammo.
    1:12 is not a fast twist rate for a .308
    What grain of bullet are you spitting out?

Sounds like that gun is set to run heavy for caliber projectiles.
    Try some 180gr, and a different brand,

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I would never trust a dealer/big box store to mount an optic. Three inch groups at 50 yards tells me something is really off, either the tool or the user.

1) Pull everything off and remount it all correctly, or have the owner do it.
    2) Check the crown to be sure it isn't causing the issue.
    3) Get range time with it.
    4) Do some basic optic tests just to make sure it is working properly and holding zero.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

I strongly suggest, at this late date, that you bag the idea of hunting this year unless you have a different weapon you are very capable with already, AND a good mentor/partner for the "woods stuff".

You are ill-prepared (kudos for knowing that), and I doubt strongly that you have time to become even semi-prepared by the time you get the green light, and the gun is only one part of the problem.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I strongly suggest, at this late date, that you bag the idea of hunting this year unless you have a different weapon you are very capable with already, AND a good mentor/partner for the "woods stuff".

What's to know? You go out in the woods still drunk from the night before and shoot at anything that is kind of brownish in color and appears to have fur.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What's to know? You go out in the woods still drunk from the night before and shoot at anything that is kind of brownish in color and appears to have fur.

:ar15:

hehehe...

Oh, and btw, your Sig line is probably the best on the internet. The only problem with it is that you thought of it first.

-Nate

Top Bottom