• ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello,
    First want to say thanks for all the great help I got from the last post. I have a Christmas list of items and have started to order stuff as well.

One other question, if I may.
    I have two Remington 870 express shotguns that I can choose from. One is just 2 3/4 the other is 2 3/4 and 3, magnum.
    Any benefit in using one over the other for the build. Basically I am building it for HD I suppose it could be called a "Tactical" shotgun. Among several other things I am planning on adding a Wilson extension tube to give 2 more rounds.
    Thanks in advance.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would go for the 3in, not that I would use it but could poss increase resell down the road. Something that goes bump in the night won't ever say," heck, it sounds like he is only using 2.75's, lets take him..."

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would go for the 3in, not that I would use it but could poss increase resell down the road. Something that goes bump in the night won't ever say," heck, it sounds like he is only using 2.75's, lets take him..."

Ha I love that, "only using 2.75".
    Thanks much. I feel pretty much the same way about the choice.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I believe the receivers for the 3" should be labeled magnum and are a stronger material. I have seen some 3" chambered barrels on regular receivers on the used market :n00b:. Like anything else have to do your homework and educate yourself.

Me personally would never shoot anything over a 2 3/4 but it would for sure say magnum on the side.......just in case and make sure it has the good "police" parts on the inside too.

I know its fun to tinker but way less money to buy one done and head to the range.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    All Express receivers in 12 ga are magnum.

It should have an "M" as last part of serial number.

You could get an Express w magnum bbl or standard.
    Eventually all Express were sold w magnum bbls.

IIRC materials for Magnum and standard receivers were the same, but maybe a design difference (plus couple of parts).
    Magnums way back, got you a recoil pad, when standards had buttplates.
    Funny, my 80's era Police Magnum had a buttplate, and 2 3/4" bbl.

BTW, the Express came out in '87.

Back when the Express came out, lots of folks didn't want a magnum.
    So they marketed some as "regular" shotguns, even though they had a magnum receiver (just not stamped as such).

I always bought magnum stamped 870's.........Wingmasters, SP or Express.
    Hell, even my 1100 is a Magnum (have had 5 of them).
    Field loads, you just slap on a reg bbl and they run fine (magnums run a heavier action sleeve). My magnums run lead 2 3/4" 1300 FPS loads fine w magnum (single gas port) bbls.

I think the word " Magnum" automatically has folks flinching before they ever fire the first shot.

Last edited:

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I believe the receivers for the 3" should be labeled magnum and are a stronger material. I have seen some 3" chambered barrels on regular receivers on the used market :n00b:. Like anything else have to do your homework and educate yourself.

Me personally would never shoot anything over a 2 3/4 but it would for sure say magnum on the side.......just in case and make sure it has the good "police" parts on the inside too.

I know its fun to tinker but way less money to buy one done and head to the range.

I am certainly beefing up the springs and changing the non-MIM.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    All Express receivers in 12 ga are magnum.

It should have an "M" as last part of serial number.

The stamping of "Express Magnum" or just "Express" just tells what it was sold as.
    You could get an Express w magnum bbl or standard.
    Eventually all Express were sold w magnum bbls.

I will check my other one. I know one says 2 3/4" on it the other one has both and says Magnum on the side.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If it's a 12 ga Express, Remington standardized by the time the Express came out.
    Even if not stamped "Magnum" check the serial #............at the end there should be an "M".

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    If it's a 12 ga Express, Remington standardized by the time the Express came out.
    Even if not stamped "Magnum" check the serial #............at the end there should be an "M".

Cool. I will check when I get home. Thanks everyone for the help.

Top Bottom