• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    A couple weeks I got a call from Indiucky... He knew I was a Remington guy and said that he got a rare one in. I ventured on down to his store and he had and Remington Model 592m, chambered in 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum.

Being a Remington guy (more shotgun world) I'd never heard of it... Well long story short it was the weekend of the Knob Creek machine gun shoot so my funds were already depleted haha.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get that one in particular.. More and more I read about it I needed it.

So... lol behold the Remington Model 591m (magazine fed brother of the 592).

5SddgVv.jpg

Ak4dCEW.jpg

Found this little guy on gunbroker.. Surprisingly it was located in Indiana so he was able to ship it straight to me.

Which btw I had know idea you could do that with long guns AS LONG as it stays within the same state when being mailed. You learn something new everyday.:dunno:

From what I've read Remington only made them from 1969-74 with around 55,000 units between both the 592m (tube fed) and the 591m (mag fed). They stopped manufacturing the cartridge itself in the early 80s. I think the cartridge was simply ahead of its time and and was too similar to the .22 magnum so there wasn't really demand for it. Couple companys made a short production run of the ammo in the early 2000s but they even stopped production in 2008.

fpxHtAQ.jpg

I was able to located a couple original boxes of ammo and stocked up.. Probably wont shoot it too much, but I will definitely have to see what it'll do to a couple tree rats and trash pandas. :draw:

All in all its a very interesting piece to me, tend to favor the rare/oddball kind.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    They are neat rifles, can I ask what you paid for a box of ammo?
    I have a box of Remington.

If Remeber correctly for the newer run stuff it was $40-45 for centurion if I’m spelling that correctly? This was at a gun show. GunBroker has a couple auctions but they’re wayyyy up there like $200 for a box. They’re rare, but at the same time not many buyers. Because it was the only gun chambered in it as far as know.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If Remeber correctly for the newer run stuff it was $40-45 for centurion if I’m spelling that correctly? This was at a gun show. GunBroker has a couple auctions but they’re wayyyy up there like $200 for a box. They’re rare, but at the same time not many buyers. Because it was the only gun chambered in it as far as know.

Thanks.. I believe I remember The Old Western Scrounger selling it years ago..

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    1st, hell of a story, was not aware of this gun.. But what the heck do you do about ammo for such a creature.... Purchase a couple 1000 rounds while you can??? Reload the ammo the Indian style..?? does anyone make the bullet projectiles anymore?? or something close to it

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    1st, hell of a story, was not aware of this gun.. But what the heck do you do about ammo for such a creature.... Purchase a couple 1000 rounds why you can??? Reload the ammo the Indian style..?? does anyone make the bullet projectiles anymore?? or something close to it

20 caliber bullets are only a few thousands smaller, I'm sure you could shoot them as is or bump them with a die.
    There are kits out there to reload rimfire..

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    20 caliber bullets are only a few thousands smaller, I'm sure you could shoot them as is or bump them with a die.
    There are kits out there to reload rimfire..

Well this just goes to prove to myself some of my best questions are ones I ask myself..

Good point on those 22 reload kits. Those blew me away... Many thanks, did not know they existed, So did a little digging.. Do not know if one would want to use it
    in a high performance rifle. Which the 5mm is..

Here is the kit in use..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxh6cvWk09g

Here is a pretty fair review with a guy who likes to do things like this..
    you have to watch part 2 some good performance stats & demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTf62hDhefY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrVto33Tiwc

Again for me I was blown away that this kit works as well as it does..

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Well this just goes to prove to myself some of my best questions are ones I ask myself..

Good point on those 22 reload kits. Those blew me away... Many thanks, did not know they existed, So did a little digging.. Do not know if one would want to use it
    in a high performance rifle. Which the 5mm is..

Here is the kit in use..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxh6cvWk09g

Here is a pretty fair review with a guy who likes to do things like this..
    you have to watch part 2 some good performance stats & demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTf62hDhefY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrVto33Tiwc

Again for me I was blown away that this kit works as well as it does..

I feel like the kit could be modified in some way to work with the 5mm, but at the same time I feel like you would need a resizing die of some kind and trim the case afterwards like the bottle necked center fire stuff?

Used to do reloading quite a bit a couple years ago haven't really messed with it lately. No expert by any means, mostly reloaded for bulk not so much accuracy. I wonder if anyone is experienced in that specific reloading area?

for now I think I'll keep savaging for boxes of ammo hahaha

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I feel like the kit could be modified in some way to work with the 5mm, but at the same time I feel like you would need a resizing die of some kind and trim the case afterwards like the bottle necked center fire stuff?

Used to do reloading quite a bit a couple years ago haven't really messed with it lately. No expert by any means, mostly reloaded for bulk not so much accuracy. I wonder if anyone is experienced in that specific reloading area?

for now I think I'll keep savaging for boxes of ammo hahaha

Thats is the darn problem with Orphan calibers like this, there are just so few companies wanting to work on reloading or just making it...

Did read that there was a guy who converted those rifles to center fire, but I did not research that. and do not know how that all worked.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    A couple weeks I got a call from Indiucky... He knew I was a Remington guy and said that he got a rare one in. I ventured on down to his store and he had and Remington Model 592m, chambered in 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum.

Being a Remington guy (more shotgun world) I'd never heard of it... Well long story short it was the weekend of the Knob Creek machine gun shoot so my funds were already depleted haha.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get that one in particular.. More and more I read about it I needed it.

So... lol behold the Remington Model 591m (magazine fed brother of the 592).

Found this little guy on gunbroker.. Surprisingly it was located in Indiana so he was able to ship it straight to me.

Hey, this has been really bugging me , I gots to ask, which gun cost more the one at Ricks or the one you got off gun broker???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETN9eNOA6vw

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I ended up paying $50 more than what he was asking. His though was the rarer of the two though, I don’t think they made as many as the tube fed models as the did the magazine fed ones

Man that is the case going there.. it.. What ever it is will be at the lowest price... Do not know how he does it..

Remember the 1st time I went in there.. Saw something I wanted.. Rick told me this is a great price.. Then went out in the car and researched it on the computer... Damn he was right..

To Try to not spend, I use to toss my wallet to my current little trophy wife and asked her to hold on to it till we were 20 miles away from the store... Now hes got that darn store dog and she is in the
    store before me to see the dog.. He is always upping the ante down there.. Low prices, store movies, a bathroom, store dog... he wears me out...

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    At SHOT Show a few years ago (less than 10) when the Centurian 5mm ammo was being introduced, Taurus had an attractive revolver on display chambered for it...I can't remember if it was a Tracker or part of the "Raging" line (think Raging Hornet), but I digress. Sadly, Taurus didn't follow through with production. With the number of legacy guns already out there, a few new production guns added to the mix probably could've saved the round. If Taurus would've followed through, I imagine one or two other gun companies would've made at least some sort of token nod toward the round's reintroduction. Every 5mm Remington owner I've talked with has spoken very highly of the round's accuracy and terminal performance. This round was ahead of it's time and it's a shame it didn't take off the way the 17 HMR did...and the 17HMR might not have ever come into being if it had.

Top Bottom