• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Looking for some suggestions on what might be A good place to start for a Christmas gift for our son. He is 14 and he likes classic wood stocks over synthetic. He enjoys shooting both Semi Autos and lever actions.

Thanks

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    M1A would be a great Christmas for any 14 year old. Just my opinion and not that of staff or management!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Lots of weight, recoil very manageable. Unless you’re looking at the 16” SOCOM model. 18” scout is ideal.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    M1A would be a great Christmas for any 14 year old. Just my opinion and not that of staff or management!

Love my M1A
    Wish someone would have given me one at 14
    The wrist on the factory M1A stocks are thick, mine was anyway. I changed mine out for a USGI M14 stock

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    M1A would be enough to make him swear off girls and is a total blast to shoot... but pricey. No one has said anything about budget, new or used, etc.

The cheapest way out would be a used Remington 7400, parent of the year is Springfield M1a NM. Either will last a lifetime, both are semiauto, but you will get what you pay for...

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, Bolt Action, .308 Winchester, 22" Barrel, 5+1 Rounds

$727 at Guns Inc. $10 shipping. Beautiful walnut stock. IMO given the parameters, can't go wrong with it. If a wood stock is a must, you can get something cheaper and restock it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to withdraw my suggestion on the lightweight. The recoil is punishing. I prefer shooting the Remington 700 heavy barrel. Mine is threaded with a muzzle break and is pretty manageable. But I do hate carrying it around. If I was taking one to the tree stand, it would be the lightweight.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    M1A would be enough to make him swear off girls and is a total blast to shoot... but pricey. No one has said anything about budget, new or used, etc.

The cheapest way out would be a used Remington 7400, parent of the year is Springfield M1a NM. Either will last a lifetime, both are semiauto, but you will get what you pay for...

New preferably, M1a would be in the budget, he is wanting to try longer ranges he would also like to fit a bi pod if possible.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Lots of weight, recoil very manageable. Unless you’re looking at the 16” SOCOM model. 18” scout is ideal.

I agree. The Scout Squad has a built in muzzle break for even less recoil. I think Gunprime has either with the walnut for $1500.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    New preferably, M1a would be in the budget, he is wanting to try longer ranges he would also like to fit a bi pod if possible.

The M1A hands down. It is exactly what you are looking for. They come with a discount book for factory accessories. The factory scope mount will be a must as well as extra mags, cleaning kit with the chamber brush and a sling.

There are numerous sites on the net to get good info on using the sling properly.

As a rule these barrels don't like to be bore brushed except when extreme use mandates it.

The factory walnut is not only beautiful but naked. They don't use boiled linseed or tung oil on them. Every cheek weld comes with a whiff of walnut.

You both will have a blast with this thing. Other than possibly some future issues with the factory extractor, you'll be good to go.

How do you feel about adopting a 60 year old?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Teach the boy how to shoot one shot at a time with a bolt action. He can buy his own semi-auto later, when he is paying for his own ammo.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Teach the boy how to shoot one shot at a time with a bolt action. He can buy his own semi-auto later, when he is paying for his own ammo.

That would be my recommendation also.

But since you are looking for gas gun recommendations, I'd throw in my lot with an AR10 with wood furniture. Boyd's has some neat laminate stuff for ARs that definitely change the whole "Tactical" vibe.
    maxresdefault.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I would look at a Savage 10 with wood or laminate in blued or stainless. Great platform, super accurate and lots of aftermarket support. He can upgrade optics, trigger, or anything else over time as he learns to shoot it. Can even have the barrel swapped out and change to a 243, 22-250, etc. if he so chooses.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Palmetto state armory has the Springfield m1a in a wood stock for 1199 new. If you were looking to do a secret santa I’d take a scar in size 17, and in fde :-)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I would look at a Savage 10 with wood or laminate in blued or stainless. Great platform, super accurate and lots of aftermarket support. He can upgrade optics, trigger, or anything else over time as he learns to shoot it. Can even have the barrel swapped out and change to a 243, 22-250, etc. if he so chooses.

The Cabelas special model 10s are a screaming deal now at $599 or so. Heavy threaded barrel, 10T bolt handle, 5R barrel.

The Cabelas special 12FV in .308 is $419!! Both are solid "Real" Savages (not Axis/package, etc) and priced well.

Top Bottom