• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    If anyone would be willing to help, there is a .22 bolt action rifle I had as a child that was stolen in a burglary before I was a teenager. It was a bolt action with a tubular magazine and the one really unique thing I remember about it was that it had unusual front sights. There were multiple front sights that could be flipped up from the side including one that was a front ring sight. There was also a conventional post sight and also a sight that was sort of a cut off version of a post that I found I could like up perfectly with the bottom of a bullseye at some yardage and hit the X almost every shot.

Other than that, I cannot remember all that much about it, but probably would if my memory were jogged. I doubt it was an exceptionally valuable firearm, but I would love to find one as it was one of the first games I really considered to be mine and would like to own one again.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Well, that was quick. I expected that to take longer. You guys are certainly a treasure trove of information.

At first I did not think that was the one, especially since most of the ones I found had a Mannlicher style stock. Then I saw the bolt out of the gun and I remembered it immediately. That rifle was the first one that I learned how to reassemble a bolt on. I took it all apart and it took me quite a while to figure out how it all went back together. My dad was not real happy with me until I got it all reassembled. :)

Now, to go off and try and find one for sale for a reasonable price. Thank you very much actaeon277. Much appreciated.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    That is some impressive Google-Fu. :ingo:

He got it in one, with the world's vaguest description. I am thoroughly impressed. Out of curiosity, did you have one actaeon77? Or were you familiar with it? Or did you just get it from my vague description that did not even include a manufacturer?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    He got it in one, with the world's vaguest description. I am thoroughly impressed. Out of curiosity, did you have one actaeon77? Or were you familiar with it? Or did you just get it from my vague description that did not even include a manufacturer?

never had one.
    But the sights make it a bit unique.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    One of the first rifles I was shooting was a 146B with the same sights, I was kinda surprised someone found it so quick. Mossberg was really the only ones I've seen use that system

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    As soon as I read the description of the front sight I knew it was some Mossberg, I have a semi auto with the same sight

Yes, same here with the sight and the tube magazine narrowed it down to a few models from the dozens of .22s that Mossberg produced.

To the OP, most of the different models of Mossberg .22s are easily found on Gunbroker for decent prices and the ones I own are really good quality for the price.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    As soon as I read the description of the front sight I knew it was some Mossberg, I have a semi auto with the same sight

I do believe that it is the only Mossberg .22 of that vintage that I have ever seen in my life. I had no idea they were so common, they were not common at all in the area I grew up in.

Now I live in Indianapolis where there is near as makes no difference no used gun market and the used guns that exist are all fairly new and all of them are overpriced. I think I need to get out of the city. I can take the wife antiquing out in the country and while she is browsing I can hit up the small town gun stores.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I learned to shoot with a Mossberg M44 U.S. (very similar rifle, but with a box mag instead of a tubular mag). In my search to find one, I came across a 46B and got it. Here's mine... :) It doesn't have the changeable front sight though.

caYRspG.jpg

MKpTeXG.jpg

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I have a Mossberg 146B T-bolt, with the S106 front sight that is being discussed.

The second photo shows the four different sight posts spread out.

The third photo shows one of the posts in position, with the sight hood re-attached.

MK8YMKv.jpg

QSbQVFa.jpg

aNv4Peq.jpg

Top Bottom