Cheapest, decent quality scope for distance shooting??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Jesus, guys. It IS acceptable to just answer the question as best you can WITHOUT being a sarcastic ass. I know this is the internet, and I definitely know there's some pot/kettle here, but...

OP:

The most key responsibility of a long range sighting system is to adjust your trajectory correctly and precisely ("track"), and then to be able to reverse to the previous position and come to the right place ("repeat").

Tracking and repeating, while they seem conceptually simple, are not done very well by quite a number of manufacturers.

For "cheap" money, yes, it can be a challenge to get what you need. The Good-Fast-Cheap triangle is not in your favor.

That being said, I recommend you take a look at eBay for a used Weaver El Paso "T" scope. Steel tube, Micro-Trac.

Along the lines of these, 16x and 10x, respectively:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-T-1...h=item1a66db4319:g:JoYAAOSwzThb-DF6:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-T-1...h=item54594021b5:g:Y7MAAOSw4PRasRGS:rk:5:pf:0

Yeah, they are steel, yeah they are fixed power... No, they don't have all the cool gadgets of more modern scopes like side-adjust parallax or illumination. No, the optical clarity will not be up-to-par with a Schmidt und Bender.

But the adjustments WILL be, and the scope will make the rifle perforate where you point it as well as 99% of scopes made today...and better than ANY in that price range.

Keep your eye on the prize, and accept the costs of your budget.

-Nate

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Jesus, guys. It IS acceptable to just answer the question as best you can WITHOUT being a sarcastic ass. I know this is the internet, and I definitely know there's some pot/kettle here, but...

OP:

The most key responsibility of a long range sighting system is to adjust your trajectory correctly and precisely ("track"), and then to be able to reverse to the previous position and come to the right place ("repeat").

Tracking and repeating, while they seem conceptually simple, are not done very well by quite a number of manufacturers.

For "cheap" money, yes, it can be a challenge to get what you need. The Good-Fast-Cheap triangle is not in your favor.

That being said, I recommend you take a look at eBay for a used Weaver El Paso "T" scope. Steel tube, Micro-Trac.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-T-1...h=item1a66db4319:g:JoYAAOSwzThb-DF6:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-T-1...h=item54594021b5:g:Y7MAAOSw4PRasRGS:rk:5:pf:0

Yeah, they are steel, yeah they are fixed power... No, they don't have all the cool gadgets of more modern scopes like side-adjust parallax or illumination. No, the optical clarity will not be up-to-par with a Schmidt und Bender.

But the adjustments WILL be, and the scope will make the rifle perforate where you point it as well as 99% of scopes made today...and better than ANY in that price range.

-Nate

More info is required to answer the question. For instance, what if his idea of long range is hitting the mile mark with a 308. You just recommended a scope without the internal travel requirements to accomplish the task at hand making the money completely wasted. I don't think its a bad thing to gain a little info before just making recommendations.

If I ask "whats the best cheap truck for pulling a trailer" wouldn't a reasonable question be how heavy the trailer is? Would the recommendation be the same if the trailer hauled a 1000 pound lawm mower as it would a backhoe? I realize people just want quick and easy blanket right answer's, but more times than not individual circumstances come into play.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree with Allen the the question could have many answers. The information needed to even start recommending any Scope is

(1) What type and caliber of firearm are you planning to install the scope on.

(2) What distances do you anticipate shooting.

(3) What type of accuracy do you want to achieve, IE: Are you intending to enter contests shooting at 1000 yards or do you want to build a hunting rifle for Elk or other large game shooting at 500 yard max?

(4) What amount of money are you anticipating spending? Cheap to me may mean a lot difference than Cheap to other folks!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Looking at the OP's avatar I am somewhat relieved that he probably isn't planning to sporterize and put a scope on a historically accurate surplus rifle. Whew

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    More info is required to answer the question. For instance, what if his idea of long range is hitting the mile mark with a 308. You just recommended a scope without the internal travel requirements to accomplish the task at hand making the money completely wasted. I don't think its a bad thing to gain a little info before just making recommendations.

If I ask "whats the best cheap truck for pulling a trailer" wouldn't a reasonable question be how heavy the trailer is? Would the recommendation be the same if the trailer hauled a 1000 pound lawm mower as it would a backhoe? I realize people just want quick and easy blanket right answer's, but more times than not individual circumstances come into play.

First, Allen, I was not specifically singling out anyone when I said what I did. I'm not saying the shoe fits you at all; I'd instead let you re-read your first reply, and see if you provided any value.

I know as well as you do....being that we've both been playing the "internet game" for a long time, both professionally and personally...that most questions posted on forums could have been asked better.

But how WE "experts" choose to react to that, and the TONE of how we do so, determines a bigger portion of the value to that individual than many people realize. If you're a jerk, people tend to hear less of what you have to say. Simple.

I'm far from perfect. I am a work-in-progress at trying to become more aware of the "snarcasm habit" and avoid it when I can in favor of just being genuine and providing straightforward help when I can. I'd want to be treated that way, and in person, most of us don't act the way we do on this here internet.

OP: You've been asked some very important questions here. Best thing you can do is answer them, and tell us the "story" of what you want this rifle to do.

Despite the approach some have taken here, they do mean well, and there's a wealth of knowledge for you to receive...but you're gonna have to work at it a little harder than you did in the first post. They ARE correct in that assessment, by my​ assessment.

-Nate

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    First, Allen, I was not specifically singling out anyone when I said what I did. I'm not saying the shoe fits you at all; I'd instead let you re-read your first reply, and see if you provided any value.

In my post the value is in providing the info required.

That said, I do get what you mean by the tone, and you are correct. I guess I get a little short from time to time because I get phone call's 50 times a day asking "whats the best cheap scope for a 243". In this instance I have 2 options.

1) Make a 100% wild ass guess (I never do, but normally should). If I get it right I win, if I guess the wrong purpose, or the wrong price, I lose

2) Try and gather the info I need to answer the question. Normally I end up pissing people off by saying "whats your definition of cheap?" and they get defensive and I lose, or How do you intend to use it and they say "plinking" (which answers nothing) or they say "well it should be obvious, a 243 is only good for 200 yards, do you know anything about guns?". At that stage there is no nice way to tell someone they don't know what they are talking about.

Over the years I've honestly gotten to the point that I will NOT under any circumstances give an answer without all the info required. I believe I **** less people off being "intrusive" than I do by being wrong. I will actually get to the point where if they wont answer the price range question I will say "well you put some thought into it, and call me back when you come up with something".

I guess my point is gun people in general (or maybe people in general) typically don't know what questions to answer. Giving them that info is the most important part of the first stage of interaction.

Deuce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Man we have a tough crowd around here! I didn't say cheap...I said cheapEST. So no I'm not looking for a "$20 scope to shoot bullseye's at 1000 yds" but I would like to find a scope for less than $200 that'll get er done tho.

Thank you Nate for the great info! So in your opinion a $350 used Weaver is the cheapest, decent quality scope I can find right now?!! DAMN.......:(

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Man we have a tough crowd around here! I didn't say cheap...I said cheapEST. So no I'm not looking for a "$20 scope to shoot bullseye's at 1000 yds" but I would like to find a scope for less than $200 that'll get er done tho.

Thank you Nate for the great info! So in your opinion a $350 used Weaver is the cheapest, decent quality scope I can find right now?!! DAMN.......:(

Group shooting at 1000 yards (not sure if thats your actual purpose, or an example) requires 3 things.

1) Tracking
    2) Zoom
    3) Decent glass quality

Less than 200 will be the tough part. You just dont get much scope for that kind of money anymore. I would look into stretching your budget to 300 so you get the most bang for your buck with this option. Its got everything you need, and nothing you dont, but its a lot of scope for the dollar spent.

REFURBISHED - VIPER® 6.5-20X44 PA RIFLESCOPE MIL DOT

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OP:

-Nate

I am guessing the intended purple was missed here.......Sarcastic A$$.........:dunno:

When one says "Cheap" I/we picture those crappy scopes that come on a Gamo air rifle. At least I do. I thought the smiley faces would show my intent. Guess not.
    The word makes my hair stand up. I hear it all to often when people want the best but are not willing to step up. No knock on the OP. Was not my intention.

42769 will set him up.

Top Bottom