• ...and so much more!
  • 455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    I am so confused.

I have done enough research to know what I want.
    -I want an AK that was built in Eastern Europe or Asia.
    -I want to spend under $1K.
    -I don’t care about looks at all.
    -I want it to perform flawlessly and resist wear/breakage, as a military weapon should.

But beyond the above, does anyone have a link or two to a website that lists or ranks by military quality the various AK brands/country options out there?

I’m tired of Googling, just looking to be pointed to a definitive source/list on the web.

If someone here wants to school me, that’s fine too.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Find a used arsenal to buy most of their new rifles are going for over 1k there are some options in your price range it just depends what's being imported when.
    IMO they are limiting some supply so the can charge more but I could be wrong. Prices have gone up though.

I'd still like to get a 104FR that they should bring back before long. I missed one here in the classifieds that got taken down before I could PM and I didn't get to it first when it was reposted, I'm still bummed obviously

I don't have a website for you though, sorry man, there are some real ak guys on here that I'm sure can help you out.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Websites I’ve found are recommending:
    -WASR, NPAP, and Veprs meet my demands under $1k new?
    -WASR, Serbian, Bulgarian SLR107R

Used Arsenal sounds like good advice.

And for less than $1k am I basically looking at post-ban (89 and later) imported demilled parts put together by a factory here?

Last edited:

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Websites I’ve found are recommending:
    -WASR, NPAP, and Veprs meet my demands under $1k new?
    -WASR, Serbian, Bulgarian SLR107R

Used Arsenal sounds like good advice.

And for less than $1k am I basically looking at post-ban (89 and later) imported demilled parts put together by a factory here?

The answer is yes. You're pretty much getting something with USA-made receiver, or an imported receiver with enough US parts to satisfy 922r, or an import with a neutered stock and other "evil" features removed (bayonet lug)

I'm very partial to Chinese AKs- MAK-90s are post-ban, but have fantastic triggers, have thicker receiver steel, and are built like tanks. They were imported with thumbhole stocks, but you can look for the ones with for the ones with straight cut receivers so that you can easily replace the stock (again, making sure you have the requisite number of US parts, if you care). Stamped receiver guns are in the 650-800 range, usually. You can even find milled receiver versions for under a grand on occasion, but because they all have slant-cut receivers, the stocks are harder to replace.

You didn't specify a caliber, but Romanian SAR-1s (in 7.62) or SAR-3s (5.45) are excellent Romanian rifles with imported receivers and nice alternatives to WASRs. They are a bit scarce these days, but obtainable for under a grand. I had a SAR-2 that was fantastic, if you like a 5.45 gun.

Last edited:

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I have a SAR-1 that I am in the process of pimping out. Have looked occasionally on here to buy a twin, but yes, I believe they are a bit scarce. I eventually decided to increase my budget a little and get a new Arsenal. I can’t spend day and night on INGO classifieds. Missed out on so many listings because I was a month, or even an hour too late to search.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am so confused.

I have done enough research to know what I want.
    -I want an AK that was built in Eastern Europe or Asia.
    -I want to spend under $1K.
    -I don’t care about looks at all.
    -I want it to perform flawlessly and resist wear/breakage, as a military weapon should.

But beyond the above, does anyone have a link or two to a website that lists or ranks by military quality the various AK brands/country options out there?

I’m tired of Googling, just looking to be pointed to a definitive source/list on the web.

If someone here wants to school me, that’s fine too.

Doubt you can find an UNBIASED listing of any firearm! Look at the AR sites, many lists have far differing opinions. I have a Mac 90 I purchased a few years ago - changed enough parts to American made to satisfy 922R. I retained all the old parts so it can be returned to the original condition except for one threaded hole in the side of the receiver.

I took off the thumbwheel stock and installed a Walnut furniture set from (as I remember) Ironwood and installed a POSP Russian Scope with original mount. Great rifle, when I purchased it from an acquaintance, it didn't appear to have been fired. I did purchase it quite cheap.

I put WAY too much money into the mods but it would meet all your criteria with much less mods. However these are getting hard to find, they were well made with a heaver gage metal in the receiver. As they are somewhat collectable I don't know what the market price is today.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    I’m looking for 7.62x39.

There is a Norinco MAK-90 with Bulgarian side folder for sale $950. Says it was imported in the early 1990s. I’m guessing that’s a fair deal?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Find good used Polytech "Legend".

I've had a Polytech "Legend", forged, milled receiver AK47S I bought new in the late 80's immediately after Drug Czar and phony conservative Bill Bennett banned the import of Chinese AK's.

They were made at Plant 386, where the military ones were made then, but semi-auto only.

They're a cut above the typical stamped receiver Chinese AK's

Mine has been flawless, and has never jammed or misfed even once.

Last edited:

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I’m looking for 7.62x39.

There is a Norinco MAK-90 with Bulgarian side folder for sale $950. Says it was imported in the early 1990s. I’m guessing that’s a fair deal?

Anything norinco is really nice. I actually had a 56s that was super nice and put together really well. Almost nicer than an AK deserves to be hahahahaha. I think with tha side folder, that deal above is a good one.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Find good used Polytech "Legend".

I've had a Polytech "Legend" milled receiver AK47S I bought new in the late 80's immediately after Drug Czar and phony conservative Bill Bennett banned the import of Chinese AK's.
    They were made at Plant 386, where the military ones were made then, but semi-auto only.

Mine has been flawless, and has never jammed or misfed even once.
    A bit over his budget. Those are worth thousands

I recomend a MAK90. Still the best bang for the buck out there in my opinion. The arsenals are too much now.
    Or a Maadi if you can find a good imported one and for less than 800-850

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    MAK-90s are great rifles. The Chinese variants had arguably the best trigger feel of any AK version imported or made in the land of shall not be infringed.

The SAR-1 is also a great version but the early ones were saddled with not the greatest trigger group thanks to George Bush the First mandating ATF follow the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment.That pesky 922(r) requiring no more than 10 imported parts on a long gun was added to the 1968 Gun Control Act to define a "sporting" rifle. Century, the importer used a trigger group that was anywhere from soft, or gave severe trigger slap, or was not bad at all. Most SAR-1 trigger groups if falling into the first two categories are easily replaced, usually with a Tapco group.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A bit over his budget. Those are worth thousands

I recomend a MAK90. Still the best bang for the buck out there in my opinion. The arsenals are too much now.
    Or a Maadi if you can find a good imported one and for less than 800-850

Wow!
    I had no idea they're worth that much.
    I just figured they're used and maybe gotten for under $1K.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    VEPR, Saiga, WASR, MAK, then if you’re not worried about the cracking receivers, PAP.

Fun fact about the Chinese guns, they went to crap after we got axed from getting them. So much so that there’s a video of an ISIS (?) member bemoaning the garbage quality of Chinese guns, saying that the only thing they should carry is Russian or Romanian guns. Civilians who can get a hold of the newer Norinco guns also have similar complaints about quality and durability.

I tend to stay away from Arsenal, Hoppes takes the finish right off of them in my experience. Not worth the premium IMHO

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The problem with Chinese guns is you are paying a premium for the lack of supply and the collectability. IMHO current rankings:

Best for quality & value: Arsenal SLR-107 R or 107FR. Supply is hit and miss as they have some big military contracts.

Very best with premium $: Russian SGL-21 or Vepr FM-AK47-11. Insane online prices on gunbroker reflecting the import ban.

Harder to find but really good: Romy SAR-1, true FEG AMD-65. SAR-1s are great and I wish I had kept more of the several I bought for under $500.

Honorable mentions: WASRs are better than a lot of folks will admit. Atlantic has a good variety of models including some inhouse ones which are getting good reviews.

All of the above are built in East Bloc factories. I have had decent experience with DDI as well but they are out of business. While I shy away from American made AKs, some boutique shops like Definitive Arms or Krebs are solid.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Anybody have any comments about the US-made AKs by Riley Defense, Lee Armory, etc.? I'm not familiar with these new outfits, but their price makes me take notice.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    My comment about the US AKs is based on my internet research, so take it for what it’s worth (maybe a corroded penny):

-they may be fine for a few rounds (dozens to a couple thousand) or being a safe queen, because they are not made for military use (I.e., not made to last).

-the com bloc stuff was made for survival in battle, not for profit; chop it up, send it here cheap, rebuild with some US parts, make profit selling cheap.

-the older non-chopped non-rebuilt stuff is the best.

Like I said, internet research, so the above may be e-rumor.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Anybody have any comments about the US-made AKs by Riley Defense, Lee Armory, etc.? I'm not familiar with these new outfits, but their price makes me take notice.

I bought a PSAK-47 from Palmetto State Armory earlier this year. Its still early days but it seems to be built well and it shoots well. It is all American-made. It comes with the optics accessory rail mount on the receiver. The ones that are currently being sold by PSA do not come with a cleaning rod, contrary to one of the video reviews posted below. The accuracy of my rifle using decent commercial ammunition is very comparable to that shown in the second video link, right around 2 MOA at 100 yards/meters for a 5 round group shooting from bench. In the second review video the accessory rail was not quite aligned with the bore. The one on my rifle seems to be well-aligned and the front sight is perfectly centered for windage. The trigger is pretty decent, for an AK. I also have the Midwest Industries optic rail which works very well.

Rob Ski of the AK Operator's Union videos did a 5000 round review of the PSAK-47 with a detailed review of the internals after 5000 rounds which showed very little wear and correct head spacing after the 5000 rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULWb-83QW_c

The Mrgunsngear guy did another very recent review of the PSAK-47 after a round count of around 1200 rounds which is also generally favorable. He said he had one malfunction (a failure to fire) in 1200 rounds.

http://www.full30.com/video/76d7157e75fa73984d3276993f207e81

Top Bottom