• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My cousin finally got back from Florida after burying his mother and dealing with her estate. Knowing I'm the family gun nut, he asked me to store a couple rifles for him. The first was his old Marlin 60 that is missing a magazine tube, said he kept it at his camp in the Glades. The other was the rifle pictured below. All he told me was that it came from the corner of a chicken coop and he figures it killed many a chicken and probably other unwelcome intruders to the coop. I thought it was a pretty neat design myself. Any help identifying this would be appreciated. Also, please ignore my messy, cluttered shop.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Actually, looks like it is a model 4. :)

12498317_4.jpg

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I can confirm it is a #4 Remington Rolling Block. They are good shooters if the bore is still good, but stay away from CCI Stingers and other hot ammo, especially since yours is the takedown version. If the bore is a pitted mess, it's still probably worth relining.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My cousin advised me not to shoot it, and I probably won't. Probably just keep it as a wall hanger. As for the double hammer, I was assuming the top one was for opening but there doesn't seem to be a hinge and it wouldn't budge. Moe that I have a model number I can check it out. Thanks fellas.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Stevens "Crack-Shot" that looks almost identical to that.
    Mine is not a takedown, but shoots lights out with just about any ammo I feed it.
    Mine is a single-shot rolling block action and is just plain a blast to shoot.

Try what you can to get that thing back into shooting condition.
    You have a keeper there in any condition.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    As for the double hammer, I was assuming the top one was for opening but there doesn't seem to be a hinge and it wouldn't budge.

Pull the back one first, that's the hammer. It should click twice on it's way back - once at half cock and again at full cock. That unlocks the breech block (second hammer looking piece) to be thumbed open. Insert cartridge, close breech block, and fire by pulling trigger. The breech block and hammer engage each other inside the frame in a cam-like interference keeping everything in place while firing. It's an ingenious and compact mechanism. I own 7 different rolling block rifles :)

Top Bottom