• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jneal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    My boys (10 & 12) want me to take them hunting. I’ve hunted in my younger years but haven’t in probably 15 years. All I have are 12 gauge shotguns. What would be a good shotgun to trap shot and hunt with for a youth? Or would I be better off buying them a rifle they could handle easily? I really don’t want something they’ll outgrow as I’ve kept all my firearms over the years.

Jneal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    That’s along the lines I was thinking. I’ve just never shot a 20g and didn’t know if it would be easier for them repeatedly shoot compared to a 12g.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    Yeah, 20 gauge. If you can find one with rifled slug barrel and smoothbore barrel, you can knock out multiple activities.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    This is what I bought my son years ago, I don't know why they say it now is available with adj buttstock, for this was the the reason I bouth it because it because of the adj LOP.
    Money well spent, soft shooting with boxes of shells shooting clays to 3" steel with ducks and geese. I got him a cantilevered rifled barrel for deer and 10+ years later he still shoots it regularly.

https://www.remington.com/news/2009...rsions-model-11-87-sportsman-now-adjustable-0

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My dad started me on a Remington 870 20g youth, which was and is a great gun.

While I didn’t outgrow it as a shotgun, as a deer gun I definitely wanted to move to a rifle when it became legal, as I suspect your boys will want to do. A bolt action in 300BLK is a great light recoiling deer rifle, or in 6.5 Grendel would also double as a longer range rifle, if they eventually want to get into that.

If you think they will be shooting trap or rabbit hunting much, a shotgun.

If it’s just deer and target shooting, a rifle.

Either way kudos to you for getting them into hunting, and also for not just handing them a 12ga!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Bought my daughter the youth .243 savage she will be using that next year (6) at our private 10 Acres.... for public land I’m still trying to track down a decent deal on a .357 lever..

she already has a .22 and also a youth 20g is in the works

Top Bottom