• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I recently acquired a collection of firearms and it contained a pair of Marlins that I don't know a lot about and I can't seem to find much info online either.

First is a Marlin 1891 side gate .22. I believe from the patent dates and serial number makes this a 1st variation with a production date of 1891 (according to oldguns.net). It has a tang sight and a kinda goofy front sight. I read in Standard Catalog of Rifles and Shotguns that this should have a 24" octagon barrel... Well this has a round barrel? Special order or aftermarket?

The second is Marlin 1897. oldguns.net dated this one at 1902. It looks like someone cut the stock and made a bakelite? buttplate for it and added a chromed? lever. It's stamped Marlin Safety at the top but has a screw going through it that doesn't look factory.

Any info on either of these two rifles would be appreciated!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I'll give you the total extent of my Marlin knowledge... both of them are takedowns. TA-DA!

Good pieces and a heck of a history I am sure.

Congratulations.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Try asking the expert over at <https://www.marlinowners.com>

Good folks over there and they know a great deal about Marlins. Can't hurt to ask.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Try asking the expert over at <https://www.marlinowners.com>

Good folks over there and they know a great deal about Marlins. Can't hurt to ask.

Already done. I've posted them here, there and at the gunboards forum. So far all the info has been from gunboards

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    Also not an expert, but I do have a Marlin 39A. :) Both of these rifles are early models in the 39A lineage. The side loading 1891 was primarily made only in 1891, about 5000 were made. The original rear sight on the 1891 was fixed in elevation, so that is probably why the tang sight was used on your rifle. In 1892 the tube fed version was introduced, this was further updated to the 1897 model which introduced the takedown system that was carried on into the 39A. It looks like you have a great piece of history, in particular that 1891. The Marlin Firearms history book by William Brophy is a good reference for these old Marlins. If you have any interest in shooting these rifles, I'd suggest that you avoid high speed ammo.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Both the 1891 and the 1897 should not be used with high speed ammo, it was later in the development that the bolt was strengthened for high speed ammo. I'd probably shoot just the CCI quiet ammo through these just to be sure....

Neither will be fired anytime soon. They are safe queens now

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Here's what I found in Flayderman's Guide. Pay no attention to the prices as my guide is from the 1980s...

MnSox3X.jpg

szc3TvJ.jpg

Top Bottom