• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    I have a Stevens model #311A. I was wondering if anybody has any information on these shotguns as it is way older then i am. I am thinking of putting it up for sale as i have no use for a 16 gauge shotgun. So any information at all is helpful as i do not know the price i should even ask for it. Ill post pics when i get home from work tomorrow. It is in good shape and does function properly. I did want to add that it does not have any serial #'s...so how do i even date the shotgun without any information. It has the letter A inside a circle just inside where it holds open on the reciever.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Remove the forearm and look again for a serial number.
    A lot of older shotguns have their markings hidden from plain view. Not sure why, but I've seen it before.

Is this a bolt-action?
    16 gauge has a lot of following in the right circles.

Nope. Found a reference to it here.
    Savage started making the 311 in 1939 from this report.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Arms

Mentioned at the end of the first paragraph.

Last edited:

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    I think the A in the circle is the date code on that double.I have seen it on the web. I have a 12 ga with the A in a circle, it has a tennite stock on it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have a Savage B which is about the same model. The A in the circle is the date code, i dont remember exactly but I want to say 1968

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    I don't know much about the history of the 311 but I have owned one in the past. I'm a 16 ga nut so I'll keep a watch and be interested if you do decide to put up for sale.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've got a 20 and 16 double pre 311's from my great grandfather on my dad's side. From my research based on features mine were made in the early 30's. Mine are family heirlooms so they will be passed down. I have taken the 20 out for some clays and did pretty good for an old work horse.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    From what I have read, Stevens began putting the manufacture date behind the hinge pin pivot or ahead of the trigger guard on their 311 double barrel shotguns. They began in 1949 with the letter A and ended in X in 1970. They did not use the letters O and Q. So, with A = 1949 you can look at the letter within the circle and count forward from 1949 excluding the letters O and Q to determine the year it was manufactured. Check on Gunbroker for similiar shotguns in equal condition to give you an idea of its value. Most I have seen have been in the $250-$350 range. They were really solidly built and a real workhorse of a gun.

Top Bottom