• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am considering purchasing an entry-level bolt-action rifle for a camping/hunting trip out west or up north in late 2019 (probably after July). The viable options seem to be the Mossberg Patriot, Ruger American, and Savage Axis. I tend to be a traditionalist, preferring traditional rifles like lever actions, and traditional calibers like the .30-30. The traditional .30-06 requires a bolt-action, though, which is why I am considering these rifles. My initial thinking was as follows:

1. Ruger is the preferred option because of its quality and customer service.
    2. Savage is the second option because of its history, accuracy, and trigger.
    3. Mossberg is the third option due to its history of economical, but reliable and durable, products.

Internet reviews have led me to alter my thinking to the following:

1. Mossberg is the preferred option because of its accuracy, reliability, durability, free-floated barrel, excellent trigger, and low price.
    2. Savage is a good option, but it is more expensive than the Mossberg, and it does not come with the high-quality accu-trigger. One must select a higher grade model to get that trigger—which increases the cost significantly.
    3. Ruger is the third option because it is having continuing problems with the accuracy of this model, and its performance is not up to the usual Ruger standards.

I realize that I could step up to the higher quality models for both the Ruger and the Savage; but since I do not have a long hunting career before me (I am already retired and my hunting days are numbered), I think entry level is sufficient. I am thinking of a synthetic stock with blued finish.

So, given these presuppositions and parameters, what is the thinking of the INGO experts? Your experience and insights will be greatly appreciated, so learn me something about bolt guns.

Thanks.

Last edited:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    First off ......Don`t consider myself an INGO expert , but I was in a very similar situation .......I wanted an entry level Bolt gun also ( .308 / 7.62 x51 ) . I wanted iron sites and do not plan to scope mine which left out quite a few choices , but my choices were in line with yours and for the same reasons .
    Ruger Gunsite Scout - ( Quality , good reputation , a bit more pricey for gun and magazines )
    Savage 11 Scout - ( Good reputation, available accessories , good reviews / history )
    Mossberg Patrol MVP - ( Pretty good history and reliability , does accept both M1A/M14 as well as LR-308/SR25 style mags, similar price tag as the Savage )
    If I knew I was going to scope my rifle , probably would have opted for a cheaper model Rem. 700 ........
    Long story short , and after countless hours reviewing each one against the other ......I picked up the Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch model and could not be happier for what it is .
    If you don`t already know , you can get some good up to date prices on GUNWATCHER .

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought the Mossberg Patriot in .30-06 last year and I love it.
    Mine has a beautiful wood stock and is very accurate with the factory ammo I've run used to date.
    I don't have a whole lot of trigger time on this one, but from what I've seen so far, all is good.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was surprised to see the Mossberg as a better choice than a Ruger, but I see I am not alone in that opinion. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was surprised to see the Mossberg as a better choice that a Ruger, but I see I am not alone in that opinion. Thanks for your help.

Oh, I've long been a Mossberg fan. The model 500 was my first shotgun, and today I own 3 model 500's. One 12ga, one 20ga, and one .410bore.
    I also have an older bolt action .22lr in a really nice model 44.
    Two years ago I bought a brand new model 464 lever action Mossberg in .30-30Winchester.

The Patriot is the new kid on the block, but stands up just fine with the rest of them.
    Mossberg has a reputation for making solid firearms at affordable prices.

I will always consider another Mossberg, if they offer what I'm looking for next...

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I have the Mossberg in .375 Ruger. Can’t say exactly if it’s a tack driver yet cause my rings need to be changed out. Seems alright for the price. I have a TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor that I really like and it was pretty inexpensive.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Remington 783. Accurate, better trigger, and pillar bedded.

There are aspects of the 783 that merit consideration, but after seeing what Remington did to Marlin quality I eliminated all Remingtons from consideration. I just have no confidence in Remington quality.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There are aspects of the 783 that merit consideration, but after seeing what Remington did to Marlin quality I eliminated all Remingtons from consideration. I just have no confidence in Remington quality.

I got the 783 as an entry-level bolt gun and have enjoyed it.

I also have a Savage Axis in a different caliber and it doesn't seem as high-quality, although I haven't had any issues with it, either.

Honestly, I looked at all of those, too, and you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I got the 783 as an entry-level bolt gun and have enjoyed it.

I also have a Savage Axis in a different caliber and it doesn't seem as high-quality, although I haven't had any issues with it, either.

Honestly, I looked at all of those, too, and you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Glad to know I am not going down the wrong trail.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Those sound like all good choices. I did notice that Kentucky Gun Company has the Thompson Center Compass on a big sale. Here's a link to a 30-06 that is $259.99 with free shipping.
    Compass Rifle 30-06 22" TB 5+1

Absolutely nothing wrong with the TC Compass.
    As a matter of fact I bought one, in .243Winchester.
    I like it a lot, and it is as accurate as you would expect from Thompson Center Arms.
    It is less expensive than the Mossberg Patriot, but I still prefer the solid wood stock on the Patriot over the hollow synthetic stock that the Compass wears.
    Just my opinion, and your mileage may vary...

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I've been rethinking my deer rifle options recently and decided to go ahead with the TC Compass in 6.5CM. Next step is some good glass, as the area I hunt has good opportunity for some longer shots. Looking forward to getting out with it and see how it shoots.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I have one of each of the rifles OP listed . They all are fine guns and in my opinion all about equal . Just be aware the older axis did not come with accutrigger , the standard trigger is horrible .

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have one of each of the rifles OP listed . They all are fine guns and in my opinion all about equal . Just be aware the older axis did not come with accutrigger , the standard trigger is horrible .

Good point about the Axis. The accutrigger is essential if going with the Savage. Thanks.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Yes, I think the T/C Compass would be the 4th rifle to add to that group. All are great rifles, from what I have heard. Some say the Ruger American has a flexy plastic stock, but they also say it is amazingly accurate. ANd now Magpul is making a stock for the Ruger American. It would be nice to handle all 4 and compare them.
    Those sound like all good choices. I did notice that Kentucky Gun Company has the Thompson Center Compass on a big sale. Here's a link to a 30-06 that is $259.99 with free shipping.
    Compass Rifle 30-06 22" TB 5+1

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't see why the .30-06 has to be in a bolt rig.
    Entry level plastic stock doesn't seem "traditional" to me.
    Might want to give a look at an old Remington 760..............just sayin'

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As an entry level plastic stocked bolt rig..........Rem 700 ADL synth.
    Had an Axis, stock sucked.
    If you really have to have a Savage, make it a 110 style action.
    I get the idea of trying to be utilitarian and having a set budget.....a target (no pun intended).
    Spend 100 more and get a better rifle.
    Gun season is over, Xmas bills coming up...........might score a great deal on a used better rifle.

Top Bottom