• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Today is my 40th birthday, and I guess you could call this my midlife crisis. I am ready to join the AR club. I have always thought it would be cool to have an AR, just for the fun of it. Anytime I think about getting one, it's a time when ARs are going to be banned and prices are ridiculous. Now that prices are good, I am ready to take the plunge. I talked to a friend who has built many ARs. He has the experience, tools, jigs, and everything else to help me build my own. I am actually wanting to do a build instead of buying to get my stepson involved in the build. He enjoys building things and I think he would enjoy building a gun, especially a gun that he says is one he would like to have. I am thinking that we build this one together, take it to the range and shoot, so he can really enjoy it. Then on his 18th birthday, I will either give him this one that he helped build, or we will build another. I have been reading what I can on here and other sites. I know I will get so many different opinions and advice since there are so many options out there. My buddy says he just gets parts from different places online. He has used PSA and Anderson, among others. He has bought complete lowers, lower kits, and 80% lowers. He says he personally likes the 80% lowers because he enjoys the process of finishing it himself. I am looking for a cheaper build for shooting at the range. I don't need a high dollar precision rifle, just something to have fun. I had some questions to give me even more to think about!! Any tips for a 1st timer would be appreciate.

1. I found a .223/556 PSA kit, minus the receiver, for $400. It has a 13.5" MLok rail, which is what my stepson likes. I can also get the lower kit and a .223 Wylde upper for the same price. I read that the Wylde is "best of both worlds". Given the equal price, what would be the best option?

2. I can also get about the same options from Daytona Tactical. Any experience with them, or anyone else I should look at?

3. As I said earlier, my buddy can do the 80% lowers. I think it would be cool to see the entire process, but also don't mind just having a lower shipped to a FFL. What are the pros/cons of either option?

4. What is the difference between keymod and M Lok? What should I get?

5. I know the kits might not be the best choice. For my first build, I think I want to keep it as simple as possible and not try to buy parts from all over. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Thanks INGO!!

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You're right. You're going to get as many diferernt opinions as responses, and that's o.k.

My experience, take it for what you paid...

I've built, or helped build, some 2 dozen AR15's, in different configurations, calibers, colors, manufacturers...
    All have been intended as range toys. Not one was built as a "duty" weapon, or intended for "combat".
    O.k., now that that's out of the way.

PSA or Anderson will suit your needs fine in my opinion.
    Others will as well.
    From what I've seen, the 80%'ers will actually end up being slightly more expensive if you need to purchase the jigs, but it sounds like that may not be your case.
    It is SO close to Christmas, I would wait to see what PSA puts on sale this week, and maybe next.

The way prices have been going, you should be able to build an entry level .223/5.56 AR for around $400 total.
    It won't have any bells and whistles, but it will hit the target you're aiming at if you do your part.

I think it's a good idea to build your own.
    You get an entirely different understanding of your firearm and how it functions, if you construct it yourself.

Good luck, and what a great step-dad!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    All hashed out a million times. Check out AR15.com.

The market is saturated with complet rifles. I just took an 800 dollar loss on a nice one and have one left I would like to sell. Its a buyers market. Hit your local pawn shops and keep your eye on the classy adds here and armslist. You can get a lot more for your hard earned dollar than a cheap PSA kit build right now. Buy one done and head for the range.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I "built" my first AR using a PSA upper and lower. For the price it's hard to go wrong with them.

Note- if you order soon don't expect it by Christmas. They're swamped with orders, like usual, and it usually takes them upwards of a few weeks to ship you your items. Small price to pay for such an affordable rifle imo. Now's the time to buy too, their prices right now are irresistible.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Just my .02...I would stay away from an 80% lower for your first AR.

If there is a problem, you won't know if your buddy got it right or if there is another cause.

The milled out interior will be bare aluminum unless you send it out for anodizing or another coating. I don't like bare aluminum.

If your buddy does the milling he will be breaking the law as he is not manufacturing it for his own use.

Seems like potential headaches that you don't need.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    giphy.gif

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Stay away from Daytona tactical. There are countless threads and discussions on them disappointing customers.

Go with a factory built lower, if you personally want to do an 80 later go for it. Your buddy cannot do it for you.

Keymod or mlok really doesn't matter. Accessories are available for both and both have quality manufacturers and cheap manufacturers. It's not like they really get used that much on a casual rifle anyway.

I'd look at primary and see what deals they have. They are much faster than psa.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Thanks for the responses. I will look at ar15.com. My buddy wasn't going do the 80% for me. He just said he had the tools and jigs and could walk through me through it. I figured that doing an 80% would be a little much for a first time.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Just buy a factory built Ruger, Bushmaster, DPMS (yada, yada, yada). Shoot it. Learn about it. Anything you don't like, add aftermarket parts and accessories (triggers, stocks, grips, rails, etc). Then, once you've learned what you do or do not like, sell it to someone you don't know and build what you like from scratch.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Building an AR is fun and educational. However, I bought my first one, glad I did. You'll figure out how it all works and shoots. :twocents:

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    On all of my ar’s I have waited until palmetto has had blems. 90 % of the time it’s hard to even tell what the blemish is. I bought an upper and lower for my dads birthday back in August for $350 shipped. Just a basic gun but he loves it.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    For your first gun build, you can go with a factory built lower. I have purchased a few Anderson lowers from Rural King for $50+tax. M-lok is what USSOCOM has selected. I think M-Lok looks better. Now I like a rifle with a F marked front sight base, but I am old fashioned and like using metallic sights on a rifle. Barrel steels should be 4150 or 416R. 4150 should be nitrided or chrome lined. Many say 1:7 twist rate is the best, but if you plan to never shoot anything heavier than 62gr., then 1:9 would suffice. 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde are best, allows you to safely shoot any ammo. I have many carbines, but my advice, If i could only own/build one, it would be a M16 clone. 20" barrel, for those of us who still aim with iron sights. Minimal recoil, and you can equip it with a carbine stock if you want.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Gander MTN (or whatever they are called now) had an ad for Anderson stripped lowers for $39. Not fancy, but functional.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I ended up ordering a complete kit from PSA plus and extra lower. If I didn't have someone who was going to help with the build, I would have just bought a complete rifle or complete upper and lower. It should be fun and a learning experience. This will give me a chance to get to know the AR platform in person, rather than watching videos. I am sure I will enjoy it all, especially getting it to the range with my stepson. I got an extra lower just in case things don't work right with the first one, but with intentions of building a second in the future!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I ended up ordering a complete kit from PSA plus and extra lower. If I didn't have someone who was going to help with the build, I would have just bought a complete rifle or complete upper and lower. It should be fun and a learning experience. This will give me a chance to get to know the AR platform in person, rather than watching videos. I am sure I will enjoy it all, especially getting it to the range with my stepson. I got an extra lower just in case things don't work right with the first one, but with intentions of building a second in the future!!

Bravo!
    The first AR15 I built was completely on my own. No help, aside from a pictorial posted on AR15.com.
    I read through the post once, then dove in head-first.
    It took me all of about 45 minutes to assemble my lower receiver and it functions as it should.

My first upper assembly took slightly longer, but no more than 1 hour.
    It's fun, and easy, and you'll learn a lot about the function.

Good luck.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I am continuing to spoil myself. I used my Midway birthday pricing and bought a Lee Classic Turret kit, along with Lee 223 dies, and a few other things. Overall, with my birthday special pricing, I saved over $50 and I got the free shipping on everything. I think I need to quit spending before I go broke!!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    This afternoon my buddy came over and helped helped us build my AR. It was pretty easy as the upper came assembled. My buddy was really impressed with this kit. My stepson was really interested. After we finished, I was asking him if he wanted to go try it out. Before I could finish, he stopped me and said YES! I am hoping this gets him hooked and more interested in shooting. Surprisingly, he said he wanted to go with me to the Lebanon Gun Show tomorrow!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    This afternoon my buddy came over and helped helped us build my AR. It was pretty easy as the upper came assembled. My buddy was really impressed with this kit. My stepson was really interested. After we finished, I was asking him if he wanted to go try it out. Before I could finish, he stopped me and said YES! I am hoping this gets him hooked and more interested in shooting. Surprisingly, he said he wanted to go with me to the Lebanon Gun Show tomorrow!
    That's awesome! Glad you enjoyed it. Nice to see a young person take interest in shooting.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Glad everything turned out good for you.
    Great AR class upcoming in February being held in Bedford thats being instructed by a INGO member.
    I am amazed at the number of AR owners that have never really shot the AR.

Top Bottom