• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    Is there any value in the current year of putting together an AR-15 from a GI M16A1 parts kit and/or a semiauto FN FAL on a metric pattern kit? I don't have building experience in either, but a family friend does and has offered to help in either case. Is there any advantage in building one or the other, either cost-wise or as a first experience?

If it's a fool's errand, I'm more than happy to just continue to squander money on C&R rifles, but it's something I kinda want to do.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Define value? I personally like the cool retro look of the M16A1 and FN FAL's are great guns.

If you can put either together for less than what they sell for normally, then there's your value. Looks like you can get a new DSA SA58 FAL for about a grand, maybe $900 if you look around. You can likewise get one of the Century or someother home brewed M16A1 clones for about $900 (maybe less) and a Colt "reissue" for around $2k.

I will say you can get some pretty nice, pre-marked 80% M16A1 lowers that are pretty darn exact clone of the original military ones. You just have to finish them and put your info somewhere relatively unobtrusive (the inside lip of the magwell is good spot for that) and then get it anodized. Then build it out with your M16A1 parts kit (other than the lower internals, of course). If you got the kit for a good price, you could be way less into that clone than even the cheapest Century ones.

My FAL is an STG-58 parts kit build, on an Enterprise receiver, that I put together with my Dad a bit more than 20 years ago. I love that rifle and I wouldn't think of selling it. At the time, the parts kits were dirt cheap and the receivers weren't much either, so money wise, we were maybe $400 into it, maybe less. Granted, the Enterprise receivers turned out to be iffy (we seemed to have lucked out) and we should have gone with a DSA for about the same price. But, whatever, the gun shoots and it hasn't blown up in my face yet.

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If you already have a M16a1 parts kit and bought it right (sub $300 or $400 with original barrel) it makes sense to build it. If you have to buy one now (https://whatacountry.com/colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx without a barrel $730) then no. Look for a less than pristine SP 1 Colt (around $1200 for a late six digit serial number ). For a pretty close retro lower it's hard to beat one of the PWAs. Good luck and be warned retros are addictive.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Although pricier in the end, I'd do the FAL kit build. There are still excellent receivers to be had (Imbel) and decent parts kits available. Check out FALfiles.com for a wealth of information and stuff for sale. My only issue with going the M16a1 route would be that factory made "clones" such as a Colt SP1 are very common, and even the older ones aren't terribly expensive. Factory made FN FAL variants, however, are outrageously expensive.

Just my 2 cents. And BTW, I have an FAL clone -Imbel receiver on an Austrian military STG58 kit, and it is awesome.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Define value? I personally like the cool retro look of the M16A1 and FN FAL's are great guns.

If you can put either together for less than what they sell for normally, then there's your value. Looks like you can get a new DSA SA58 FAL for about a grand, maybe $900 if you look around. You can likewise get one of the Century or someother home brewed M16A1 clones for about $900 (maybe less) and a Colt "reissue" for around $2k.

I will say you can get some pretty nice, pre-marked 80% M16A1 lowers that are pretty darn exact clone of the original military ones. You just have to finish them and put your info somewhere relatively unobtrusive (the inside lip of the magwell is good spot for that) and then get it anodized. Then build it out with your M16A1 parts kit (other than the lower internals, of course). If you got the kit for a good price, you could be way less into that clone than even the cheapest Century ones.

My FAL is an STG-58 parts kit build, on an Enterprise receiver, that I put together with my Dad a bit more than 20 years ago. I love that rifle and I wouldn't think of selling it. At the time, the parts kits were dirt cheap and the receivers weren't much either, so money wise, we were maybe $400 into it, maybe less. Granted, the Enterprise receivers turned out to be iffy (we seemed to have lucked out) and we should have gone with a DSA for about the same price. But, whatever, the gun shoots and it hasn't blown up in my face yet.
    I have your FALs sister. STG 58 on an Enterprise receiver. Runs like a champ. Cool as all get out. But, wowsers, with bipod and all, it needs Jenny Craig.

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    If you already have a M16a1 parts kit and bought it right (sub $300 or $400 with original barrel) it makes sense to build it. If you have to buy one now (https://whatacountry.com/colt-m16a1-parts-kit.aspx without a barrel $730) then no. Look for a less than pristine SP 1 Colt (around $1200 for a late six digit serial number ). For a pretty close retro lower it's hard to beat one of the PWAs. Good luck and be warned retros are addictive.
    I do not have an A1 kit; it was the price of the WhatACountry kits that partially inspired this post - I can get a nice Imbel FAL kit, or a beat up South African for less than that. Really wish I had "bought one right", but hindsight is 20/20.

What really stings is that I saw a nice early SP1 sell for $850.00 at an auction last New Year's.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I do not have an A1 kit; it was the price of the WhatACountry kits that partially inspired this post - I can get a nice Imbel FAL kit, or a beat up South African for less than that. Really wish I had "bought one right", but hindsight is 20/20.

What really stings is that I saw a nice early SP1 sell for $850.00 at an auction last New Year's.

You may find a decent FAL kit for under $700 but, you still have to buy a receiver, Imbels are running another $650 - $700.

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I built two in the golden age of building during the mid 90's. I bought two STG 58 "hand select" parts "kits" for 135 dollars each. They would have been 125 each but the hand select was an additional 10 dollars. I don't remember from where I ordered them on SG News but they had thoughtfully turned the barrels down an inch to protect me from the evil threaded ends. I ended up finding two Steyr barrels in a bucket of barrels at the 1500 about a year later. These had been unmolested and cost me as much apiece as all of the parts. If I remember correctly, the Imbel gear receivers I bought were 162 dollars each. I remember *****ing about it because Bulgarian milled AK receivers we were buying at the time were only 60 bucks. Bill Clinton took this all away. Build an FAL if you can. You won't be sorry.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    DS arms has decent Israeli light barrel kits right now and they are going to do a run of Israeli marked receivers as well. Pretty nice kits and really decent price. I stocked up.

1zxp4qh.jpg

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    praff, what's up with the meat cleavers? (note to self; don't taunt the Israelis).

Lol....a friend of mine was over and I was using the belt grinder to re-profile and sharpen a few of his knives. He loves that style as a kitchen knife.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Lol....a friend of mine was over and I was using the belt grinder to re-profile and sharpen a few of his knives. He loves that style as a kitchen knife.
    Thanks, you saved me a ton of time on Google. Was thinking it was a kick-butt and take names bayonet.

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    Thanks for the help, guys. Probably going to build a FAL in a little while. If anyone has a South African R1 kit they want to get rid of, well, I know a guy.

Top Bottom