• Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    For the fire sale price of $399.99

what!?!?! I know they kept going up but thought the $275-$300 range was settling at the top they’d ever be. Wild I tell you. I remember them for $75, and I’m young!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought mine for $119 probably 8+ years ago, some said I'd overpaid. I think 220rds of ammo was about $45, I can't recall though.

These rifles are just cool, but 400 bucks is hard to justify. There are new TC Compass, Savage, etc that I'd rather explore.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For a while I thought about having one bored out to a larger diameter to play with cast.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Yea about that... Although i did grab up a hi power at a very good price.. The say i figured it, they suck at pricing lot overpriced, some are bound to be underpriced.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    Yeah, I saw a Cossack variant in a batch at a Cabelas in Bowling Green last week. The local store had about ten 91/30s for the price you listed, but these had surface rust along the receiver base at the wood line and some of the bolts had bad corrosion as well. No way would I pay that kind of coin for any of those Mosins at that price. That being said, I know they will have ill-informed buyers that will pay their price.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve still got a 440 round tin even though I haven’t owned a Mosin in a while. I remember during the Obama ammo scare when people where selling 7.62x54r 440 tins for triple the price. I bought 4400 rounds online at original prices and then resold them all with no markup, just to stick it to the people trying to rip everyone off. Lol

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yep I'm not old and remember seeing them for as low as $45 and couldn't give them away. They are a fifty dollar shooting iron to me and that's it.

Shame I see so many people wasting money shortening barrels, recrowning, trigger work, custom stocks.......and they still shoot horrible. Be money ahead and have a better shooting rifle with a Savage every day all day.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Cabela's used section is way overpriced. Think vacation gift shop. Only reason I make the trip is for reduced recoil slugs for the old rifles. No sense beating them up at the range.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    …….and they still shoot horrible…..
    Well, maybe you never got hold of one that was good. They aren't modern rifles like a Savage, but for war time production guns, I used to have a lot of them, buying by the case and selling all the ones I didn't want, made them pay me. Having decent ammo also makes a difference, some of it wasn't very good but some of it was really good. I still have a few M/N's that I love to shoot plus a decent amount of ammo for them.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Yeah, $400 is way too much compared to what you can purchase for that. I have two 44's that I paid $89 for a few years back. They were both in very nice condition, and they both shoot pretty darn good.

But, it seems you can buy anything Cabela sells for less money somewhere else. In fact the last time I was there (probably my last time :>), I was surprised at most of their prices.

Ron

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    No way. I never even paid $100 for one and never will. Mauser Mike ended up with all of mine and if I had more he'd have them too...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother and I were both gifted 91/30's with a spam can to split between us.
    Well, not really gifted. We helped our local range with some construction projects before they opened.
    I did the work expecting it to be for free, to help a friend get the business up and running.

He asked what type of payment we would like for our help, and he had a couple of 91/30's on the shelf.
    When we asked about them in leiu of payment the shop owner jumped, saying he valued them at about $69 each.
    I purchased a couple of spam cans on my own for $70 each.

I later picked up a type 53 for a song.

$399 is just plain ridiculous.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A store's job is to make money.
    If they can sell them at 400 a pop, more power to them.

Was nearby Sat and stopped in. Prices not good.
    But they did have an item I needed, 35 bucks elsewhere (and out of stock), for 40.
    So yeah, I paid their price.

I might swing by again next yr, if I don't plan ahead LOL.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, maybe you never got hold of one that was good. They aren't modern rifles like a Savage, but for war time production guns, I used to have a lot of them, buying by the case and selling all the ones I didn't want, made them pay me. Having decent ammo also makes a difference, some of it wasn't very good but some of it was really good. I still have a few M/N's that I love to shoot plus a decent amount of ammo for them.

My observations are the same as yours! I have several purchased at $89 ~$99. My experience is that they all shoot at 2 MOA or better.

Can't say exactly how many rounds I have as I purchased several spam cans ~ some 440, some (as I recall) 880 rounds, think my last buy was $80 for 880 rounds of surplus Russian. Bought the 440 round cans for $30-$40 some time earlier!

If you watch the Alaska shows, I have saw several 91-30's still being used for substance hunting. Looks to me like they are still accurate enough to take caribou, wolves and bears etc

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had gotten rid of my two 91/30's, then the prices jumped. I was having seller's remorse and then AIM got a batch in for 99 bucks so I got another one... just because. :) Yes, you can get modern rifles that shoot much better, but that's not really the point (for me and other milsurp enthusiasts). I have that one, a Romanian M44, an M38 that I got for free from another INGO member, and a Finn M39. I haven't shot any of them in awhile. I need a Mosin day at the range sometime. They always put a smile on my face.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had gotten rid of my two 91/30's, then the prices jumped. I was having seller's remorse and then AIM got a batch in for 99 bucks so I got another one... just because. :) Yes, you can get modern rifles that shoot much better, but that's not really the point (for me and other milsurp enthusiasts). I have that one, a Romanian M44, an M38 that I got for free from another INGO member, and a Finn M39. I haven't shot any of them in awhile. I need a Mosin day at the range sometime. They always put a smile on my face.

We used to do a winter time Mosin shoot with carbines. Absolutely hilarious! Tremendous "thump" and fire ball amidst the falling snow. Get several in a row and open fire!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Those M44's are real ear busters. I never burned up much ammo with them because I always thought twice before pulling the trigger...

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    Outrageous pricing. I just bought a 91/30 with Spanish Civil War provenance for $270.00 after tax, and that's the most I've spent on one. I just bought a standard refurb with 475 rounds of ammo for $200.00 in September!

Top Bottom