Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Expert Beowulf's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    This was bugging me a bit. The inscription says "FMHUSKYCHARLIE" which means (fairly) clearly "From Husky Charlie," but who is "Husky Charlie?" At first I thought it maybe was a joking reference to the enemy, but the Viet Cong were known as VC, "Victor Charlie", not "Husky Charlie."

    A little more searching turned up another lessons learned report at DTIC, which has the answer:

    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

    The unit in question was Battery C, 2nd Battalion, 35th Artillery, an artillery battery in the battalion that was commanded by LTC Gendron. That unit had the tracked M109 Self-Propelled Howitzers with the 155mm cannon mounted on it. I'm guessing that "Husky" referred to Howitzer(s), and the Charlie was of course for the C in Battery C.

    At the time of this particular report LTC Gendron had moved on and another commander was in place, and they arty guys were involved in turning back the Tet Offensive.

    https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/391449.pdf
    Nice detective work!
    Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom.

  2. #22
    Master Alamo's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Nice detective work!
    Thanks. Im kinda wishing I had found the rifle.

  3. #23
    Plinker ZachJ03's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Thanks. Im kinda wishing I had found the rifle.
    Yes, thank you for the wealth of knowledge! After reading your posts, a quick google and FB search and I found his kids. I may try to reach out to them to see if they have any documention of the rifle or his career that they’d be willing to share. I don’t have any papers with the rifle as of now but I think with the evidence, it’s the real deal. I truly appreciate your input and findings.

  4. #24
    Master Alamo's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ZachJ03 View Post
    Yes, thank you for the wealth of knowledge! After reading your posts, a quick google and FB search and I found his kids. I may try to reach out to them to see if they have any documention of the rifle or his career that they’d be willing to share. I don’t have any papers with the rifle as of now but I think with the evidence, it’s the real deal. I truly appreciate your input and findings.
    Well if you get tired of the rifle, let me know, or maybe even better if you can put together some verified info on it, cites to the official lessons learned reports etc, there may be an artillery museum or some such that would be interested in it.

  5. #25
    Plinker ZachJ03's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Well if you get tired of the rifle, let me know, or maybe even better if you can put together some verified info on it, cites to the official lessons learned reports etc, there may be an artillery museum or some such that would be interested in it.
    I was actually sort of curious about the museum route. Are you familiar with how that works? Like do I still own the rifle and they will display it or do they have to purchase it?

  6. #26
    Sharpshooter MarkC's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ZachJ03 View Post
    I was actually sort of curious about the museum route. Are you familiar with how that works? Like do I still own the rifle and they will display it or do they have to purchase it?
    With museums, it depends on their policies, I've seen items on loan displayed and items donated to the museum.

    The U. S. Army Field Artillery Museum at Fort Sill, OK, might be interested in this rifle, given its apparent provenance. They have displays of some small arms.

  7. #27
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Have a Type 53 I brought back from Nam, picked it up on a sweep through a village. Was lucky to find it since most of the weapons used by then were AKs.

  8. #28
    Master Alamo's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by INGarand View Post
    Have a Type 53 I brought back from Nam, picked it up on a sweep through a village. Was lucky to find it since most of the weapons used by then were AKs.
    I don't suppose you have a picture of it in situ?

  9. #29
    Grandmaster

    User Info Menu

    I have a beat up T53 that I can't find any import marks on.
    It's been a while since I last shot it.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

  10. #30
    Grandmaster DoggyDaddy's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Well this thread inspired me to take my Mosin carbines (M44 and M38) to the range today. What a hoot! I was thinking it would be better if it were at dusk or even a dark cloudy day. No need. The covered benches gave enough shade to appreciate the huge fireballs. I have a scout scope on the M38 and the entire sight picture was filled with flame every trigger pull.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •