• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gotimektm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2018
    KRONENWETTER
    Hello I am new to this site and relatively new to firearms in general.
    I was shooting an AR-10 the other day and suddenly the trigger locked up. Disassembled the trigger pack and found small pin parts obviously broken, lodged in the safety mechanism. It does not seem that there is anything missing. Can anyone please tell me what they are? I reassembled the trigger and now everything seems to be working fine but not comfortable with these parts not in there. View attachment 73062 15453912667725209205978378050854.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That appears to be a broken trigger pin, though it's hard to tell from the picture.
    Was this a factory build, or someones home build?

If this were part of your gun you would not have been able to reassemble it without that missing part.
    My guess is that it was a spare part, left in by mistake, and it was probably broken when the gun was fired.

I say, if it feeds and fires, shoot it and don't worry about this.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    With the slight taper of it it almost looks like a slave pin to get the trigger and disconnecter lined up for when you put the trigger pin in

How it got into the rifle is beyond me though if that's what it is

gotimektm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2018
    KRONENWETTER
    That appears to be a broken trigger pin, though it's hard to tell from the picture.
    Was this a factory build, or someones home build?

If this were part of your gun you would not have been able to reassemble it without that missing part.
    My guess is that it was a spare part, left in by mistake, and it was probably broken when the gun was fired.

I say, if it feeds and fires, shoot it and don't worry about this.

The rifle is a completely stock Sig716, with maybe 500 rounds through it. I bought it brand new, and never had it taken down this far until now. The broken pieces are about half the diameter than the trigger pins. The left over part would make sense, just hard to believe they could let that happen.
    The only other thing I now noticed after reassembling, (and maybe this always was this way, just never noticed until now), is that I'm not able to put the selector on 'safe' from 'fire' when the breach is closed. Is this normal?
    Thanks for your input!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The rifle is a completely stock Sig716, with maybe 500 rounds through it. I bought it brand new, and never had it taken down this far until now. The broken pieces are about half the diameter than the trigger pins. The left over part would make sense, just hard to believe they could let that happen.
    The only other thing I now noticed after reassembling, (and maybe this always was this way, just never noticed until now), is that I'm not able to put the selector on 'safe' from 'fire' when the breach is closed. Is this normal?
    Thanks for your input!

Not hard for me to believe.
    Not knocking Sig. Every company has it's issues sooner or later. It's the nature of the manufacturing beast. The best companies do what they can to mitigate small things like this, but they do happen.
    It is probably a simple mistake. Someone dropped a small part (roll-pin?) in where it didn't belong, and quality control missed it because it didn't cause a problem during test firing. After your 500 rounds it finally got in the way of the hammer/disconnect... and got sheared in two.

Then again, I've worked in enough manufacturing facilities to be comfortable saying it could also be a case of, "Hey George, watch this...LOL..."

I would look closely at the edges of your trigger, the hammer, and disconnect, and make sure you don't have a part that is chewed up.

Top Bottom