• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    For all their reputation for accuracy, Savages are mass produced rifles. They aren't using a new tap for every hole, or every gun, or maybe every 100 guns. I had to chase the scope base mounting hole threads on the first Model 12 varminter I bought years ago. I'm a fan and we have a number of them because they shoot very well for the money but that is the one issue I've had with them.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Put Talley one-piece rings on it, torque to spec, and then lap the rings if needed.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Most likely 10-32 could be 10-24 but I doubt it. If that is to big try 8-32. Lowes has a screw and nut board in the screw and nail aisle just for a situation like this.

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I would take a couple of mount screws to lowes in the screw and nail aisle they have a board with inch and metric screws and nuts mounted to it. Find what nut the mount screw fits and that will tell you what tap you need. Chase the threads with the tap and you are good to go if the screw won't fit after chasing the threads with a tap the screw is no good. Take more than one screw to lowes if your luck is like mine you will take the bad one.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Mine were cross threaded from the factory. I chased the threads and called Savage to tell them how I felt and to send new screws. After a week of waiting the new screws showed up and were too short:xmad:. Cleaned up old ones with a file and heavy locktited them in.

Took it for a test fire and it spits all the rounds out onto the ground:xmad:. Should've sent the thing back for a refund.

See if I can find that tap.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You could take the barreled reciever in with you and try them out. Probably get some strange looks and maybe moms demand action will tweet about a new deadly gun.

Top Bottom