• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I have been tossing around the idea of consolidating hunting guns down to a pro hunter for a few years now. I like the idea behind it and if I ever get the opportunity to head out of state to hunt elk or moose I can just get a different barrel instead of a whole new rifle. For those of you that have them, is it worth it or is it more of a novelty firearm? Is there any gun shops in Northern Indiana that sell frames and barrels? Thanks in advance for any input you guys can offer.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Talking about the Encore? Definitely not a novelty item. Seriously accurate solid platform. Follow ups take an extra second but if you do your part, you should only need one.
    Not much to go wrong.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In areas where one has to do much legal just to own a gun, the switch barrel stuff makes sense.
    Outside of that.........nope.

If one likes the idea of a "kit" so be it.

I rather dislike the feel and look of the Encore.
    Was offered one for free and declined.

Sure as heck would not shoot one in a magnum for elk or some other $$$$ hunt.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The Encore platform totally makes sense if you are patient in the shots you take. The only thing they lack compared to semi autos, bolts and lever guns is a quick follow up shot, which as already stated previously, is not that much slower. I usually have a second round between the fingers of my support hand when taking a shot on game and can have a second shot off in 1.5 to 2 seconds if needed. Accuracy excellent. I have a 220 Swift AI built on a T/C factory 223 barrel that will shoot in the .3's. Some of the heavy recoil rounds will get your attention, but the Limbsaver pads and Flextech stocks make it tolerable. T/C is a sickness though, as I planned to have one receiver and swap barrels, but I have not been able to pass up adding to the collection.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If going single shot I'd rather run a Ruger #1.

Light trim Contender rifle (rynite stock).........feels OK to me.
    Encores do not.

I hate a thick wristed shotgun too, FWIW.

Last edited:

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I had one, I really wished I had kept. Accurate, versatile, and most big game hunting is a one shot deal anyway. I took many deer with mine configured as a handgun and chambered in .308.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO that is where the Encore has its possible shine.........a specialty pistol.
    My dad has a Striker in 7mm 08 and its fun.......but man it's clunky.
    Like the feel of an XP100 more...........but still so bulky, might as well go rifle nowadays (private ground).
    Encore is more trim than the others LOL

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have a ENCORE PISTOL,I have a 16 1/2 inch barrel and a shoulder stock in 308 that I use on private land, then I can also take off stock and shoot as pistol on public land for deer hunting.For yotes I use a .223 barrel and because it is under 16 1/2 inches , I use as a pistol.In heavier brush its easier to manuver.I wish T/C would make thinner pistol grips though, I have a smaller hand.

Ozo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Nashville
    Contender vs Encore

Either frame is great, depends on how large of caliber you wish to fire.
    I prefer the Contender, mostly because I have had (one+) since the 1970's
    and have acquired so many barrels/accessories for them, before the Encore came to light.

Encore may have a slight edge over barrel/caliber choice these days....in rifle cartridges,
    but the Contender has served me well in it's available configurations.

Barrels have become pricey lately, but there are still great finds if you are diligent and persevere
    in your search(s), which is also part of the fun.
    T/C barrels are fine, but if you have a favorite caliber you love to shoot, rifle or pistol, I suggest that
    you have MGM build a barrel for it [you will love it]. EAB has some good deals at times, or...…
    you can go (full monty) and have David White build you a 600+yd tack driver.
    EAB has used barrels on occasion, and ebay sells quite a few, along with many accessories.

You can buy a Choate adjustable buttstock w/pistol grip [$100 +/-] but LEGALLY the barrel has to
    be over 16" in length to use it [a muzzle brake can count in the 16" but it must be PERMANENTLY attached.]

Kurt Bellm is a wonderful source to discuss all things T/C [he is the son of Mike Bellm, who now works
    for MGM]. Kurt is pretty easy to reach by phone, on FB, etc.
    Speaking of Kurt, I strongly suggest that you get the Bellm oversize hinge pin after you make your frame choice.

Older Contender barrels can be a wonderful find sometimes, both in quality and design, and even in price. The
    only drawback to the original barrels is the locking jaw, which is usually not as smooth to break open using a newer
    Contender frame, but the new parts [locking jaws] are affordable and easy to replace, about a 10 minute job.

One of my favorite calibers for T/C is a .357maximum in an 18" bull barrel, and easily a 600yd tack driver
    with proper accessories. The Contender basically tops out about 45-70government down to a .17hmr (or .22lr),
    the Encore tops out in much larger rifle calibers.

My EDC (as is the spouse also) are rotations in .327fed revolvers, and the barrel I shoot most (these days) in T/C
    is a Custom Shop 23" .327fed [in pic w/variable scope, laser dot, bi-pod, Choate adj.]

Any T/C frame choice you make will be a good one, and will take you on an exciting journey for as many shooting
    days as you desire to participate. The Contender and/or Encore world is beyond an addiction, filled with fun.

Attachments

• DSCN6571.jpg
      DSCN6571.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 4

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A change from 1 pc to 2 pc locking bolts might solve some problems.
    But that's no guarantee.
    They still may require some fitting.
    IIRC.........they don't go in far enough the interrupter does its job. Click and no Boom.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If looking at Contender, avoid the non easy open frames.
    Easy opens have a pin in frame,above the trigger.
    The Contender is handy, but if going Super 16 they are way too muzzle light.
    Twitchy for offhand work. Solution was to add weight in forarm (#8 shot in epoxy).
    The factory stock is set up for iron sights. Scoped they suck. Solution was cheekpiece.
    This little pig did 1" groups at 100 yards benched.
    .35 rem
    hIsRCTE.jpg

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    SMITH@WESSON bought THOMPSON CENTER a few years ago, so go to a SMITH/WESSON dealer , he can order one, not much stuff up for sale used.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One need not be a S&W dealer.
    TC stuff can be ordered from multiple wholesalers.
    Used there's Gunbroker, where run of the mill non easy open blued frames are being sold at 250......plus shipping plus transfer.
    IIRC Greybeard Outdoors forum has TC classifieds.
    Also Specialty Pistol forum.

PCR really knocked the steam out of handgun hunting around here.
    Talked to one dealer at a show and he said a .35 rem Super 14 bbl was a very hard sell these days.
    Used to be what everybody wanted.

Yes, one could convert to PCR.........but bbls aren't exactly a bargain anymore, and other repeaters could be had cheaper.
    The Custom Shop is no more, and availability/offerings were kinda tough for a spell.
    I dunno if TC will ever recover.
    Was surprised to see the Contender back, but the prices...............heck even the used stuff is climbing.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Consider the T/C Dimension -- it's a VERY COOL concept and super accurate.
    It allows changing barrels AND is bolt action!!!
    It groups calibers: Group A bolt + correct barrel (204, 223); Group B bolt + correct barrel (22-250, 243, 308, 7mm-08); Group C bolt + correct barrel (270, 30-06); Group D bolt + correct barrel (7mm Rem mag, 300 Win Mag)

I used to own it and had an "A bolt" for 223, and a "B bolt" for 243
    Amazingly accurate, I am shocked that it didn't catch on more - but I can understand the appeal of having separate/dedicated guns (that seems to be the biggest argument against this platform)
    https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-action-rifles/dimension/components

Top Bottom