Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

TC Pro Hunter worth it?

I have been tossing around the idea of consolidating hunting guns down to a pro hunter for a few years now. I like the idea behind it and if I ever get the opportunity to head out of state to hunt elk or moose I can just get a different barrel instead of a whole new rifle. For those of you that have them, is it worth it or is it more of a novelty firearm? Is there any gun shops in Northern Indiana that sell frames and barrels? Thanks in advance for any input you guys can offer.

User Info Menu

Talking about the Encore? Definitely not a novelty item. Seriously accurate solid platform. Follow ups take an extra second but if you do your part, you should only need one.
    Not much to go wrong.
    Training, SOLDIER!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Talking about the Encore? Definitely not a novelty item. Seriously accurate solid platform. Follow ups take an extra second but if you do your part, you should only need one.
    Not much to go wrong.
    Do you know where to buy one locally? Id like to check one in person.

User Info Menu

In areas where one has to do much legal just to own a gun, the switch barrel stuff makes sense.
    Outside of that.........nope.

If one likes the idea of a "kit" so be it.

I rather dislike the feel and look of the Encore.
    Was offered one for free and declined.

Sure as heck would not shoot one in a magnum for elk or some other $$$$ hunt.

Expert

User Info Menu

The Encore platform totally makes sense if you are patient in the shots you take. The only thing they lack compared to semi autos, bolts and lever guns is a quick follow up shot, which as already stated previously, is not that much slower. I usually have a second round between the fingers of my support hand when taking a shot on game and can have a second shot off in 1.5 to 2 seconds if needed. Accuracy excellent. I have a 220 Swift AI built on a T/C factory 223 barrel that will shoot in the .3's. Some of the heavy recoil rounds will get your attention, but the Limbsaver pads and Flextech stocks make it tolerable. T/C is a sickness though, as I planned to have one receiver and swap barrels, but I have not been able to pass up adding to the collection.

User Info Menu

If going single shot I'd rather run a Ruger #1.

Light trim Contender rifle (rynite stock).........feels OK to me.
    Encores do not.

I hate a thick wristed shotgun too, FWIW.
    Last edited by Hookeye; 2 Weeks Ago at 18:01.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
    If going single shot I'd rather run a Ruger #1.

Light trim Contender rifle (rynite stock).........feels OK to me.
    Encores do not.

I hate a thick wristed shotgun too, FWIW.
    whats the difference between an encore and a contender?

User Info Menu

Encore is bigger/thicker, can handle higher pressure cartridges.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I had one, I really wished I had kept. Accurate, versatile, and most big game hunting is a one shot deal anyway. I took many deer with mine configured as a handgun and chambered in .308.

User Info Menu

IMHO that is where the Encore has its possible shine.........a specialty pistol.
    My dad has a Striker in 7mm 08 and its fun.......but man it's clunky.
    Like the feel of an XP100 more...........but still so bulky, might as well go rifle nowadays (private ground).
    Encore is more trim than the others LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast