• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I picked up an Ultra Slug last month but I haven't done anything other than clean it until today. The scope is a Simmons 4x32 and the rings caused it to sit low and the eye piece was resting on the mount. I did swap out the rings today. Question is how much damage do you think was done to this scope if it was shot a lot? I'm contemplating on replacing it but I also want to hear what other scopes people are using on these heavy shotguns. Let me know.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I prefer quality scopes, that is expensive scopes. However I have an Ultra Slug Hunter that has a Simmons scope on it with a diamond shaped reticle. Don't have to search for a sight picture, it is just right when I shoulder the gun.

Scope has been on there 15 years with out issue.

Don

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I would shoot it and make sure it tracks your adjustments properly when you re-zero it. If it does and then holds that zero under recoil, you should be good.
    I have had Simmons Pro-Diamond scopes on 12 gauge slug guns and turkey guns for years and they have always been solid scopes. I had a Simmons Aetec 2.5-10x44 on my Ultra Slug that I had back in the 2000's. It was a big scope, but gathered alot of light and was great for hunting deep woods. I still have one mounted on my Knight Disc rifle and it is still going strong.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I would replace the Simmons with good glass. I’ve had good success with Nikon, Vortexx and Zeiss. 2-7 power would be good

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That extra eye relief of the Simmons slug gun scope comes at a cost...........very small field of view.
    Movers are doable at 4X.........but that thing would make it tougher.
    Just sayin.
    If you don't shoot movers..............give it a whirl and see how it does.
    Heck, it's paid for.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I had a Bushnell Banner 1-4 on one for years and never had a lick of problems with it.

Side note....the ulta-slug was damn spendy trying to out what slugs it liked best.

Remington copper solids were 1-2 MOA

Several other slug brands were minute of paper plate at fifty yards.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got 1.5" or less from a tuned 870 (two of them).
    So never bought into the need for a heavy single shot.
    Proly more comfortable than my 870's though.
    I got out of the slug gun biz when Winchester dropped their High Impact Supreme slug.
    Loved those things, even at their silly price.
    Buddy bought one of my 870s, said it runs great w the Partition Gold Winchesters.
    I dunno, just liked that long BRI style of slug and wanted to stay with that.....so when they went so did the gun.
    Maybe if I had a nice cozy shootin' house to look over a field, a big heavy single shot would get some interest.
    If so, I'd proly go with a scope of some higher mag, maybe a 3-9X.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Did the same thing when I bought my Ultra Slug Hunter, spent $100 + trying to figure out what worked.
    Finally read the directions. They recommended Lightfield Slugs. It worked. Went to tight groups out past 100 yards. Bought a crap ton of them on sale at Wally world after deer season once. Load my own now using the Slugs-r-us components and get the same accuracy.

Don

Top Bottom