• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    So I’ve been looking for an M1 Carbine since a little before thanksgiving, and have driven all over the northern part of the state, 6 in nwi 5 shops near south bend, 2 near auburn, 6 in Fort Wayne, 4 in Indy, and a few more scattered throughout the state. Out of all of those I have only came across a late production run universal. I’m not opposed to a civilian model, just one that will run with surplus parts. Have all of them dried up, or am I just having bad luck finding something

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    So I’ve been looking for an M1 Carbine since a little before thanksgiving, and have driven all over the northern part of the state, 6 in nwi 5 shops near south bend, 2 near auburn, 6 in Fort Wayne, 4 in Indy, and a few more scattered throughout the state. Out of all of those I have only came across a late production run universal. I’m not opposed to a civilian model, just one that will run with surplus parts. Have all of them dried up, or am I just having bad luck finding something

Have you looked on Gunbroker ?

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    Winamac, I’ve checked gunbroker, but it’s gun broker prices, shipping etc, plus I like checking out different shops, and keeping my money in local shops.

Tenring, thank you for the lead

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Surplus carbines are gone. None (at least not of any significance) left in the channel. Any received by CMP are so far and few between they go straight to auction.

M1 Carbine - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

You can get them here if you REALLY want a surplus one. (hold onto your wallet)
    Civilian Marksmanship Program - Promoting firearms safety training!

If you just want one, you can buy new production from Inland.
    https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1945.html

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Well the last USGI carbine was made in 1945. Gun shops won’t have one unless someone trades one in. I think that becomes less common every day. Why would I take $400 in trade when I could get $800 online?
    Hit some local gun shows, they turn up all the time. Or armslist in your local area.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville

There's one on Armslist in Indianapolis. An Inland with no import marks for 800 bucks. Listed just a couple days ago.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Check the CMP forum......now that being said, all dried up? No but finding one that isn't a "hack job" or finding one that isn't WAY over priced is getting harder.........last one I saw here in Ft Wayne, wad around a year ago, $550 for a butchered up late war production....all it needed as a new stock,a new barrel and both sets of sights replaced.......

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Check the CMP forum......now that being said, all dried up? No but finding one that isn't a "hack job" or finding one that isn't WAY over priced is getting harder.........last one I saw here in Ft Wayne, wad around a year ago, $550 for a butchered up late war production....all it needed as a new stock,a new barrel and both sets of sights replaced.......

Thats a steal, actually. The ones currently on auction at the CMP are between 1250 and 1700 bucks. ouch!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    We still see them occasionally down south. My LGS has them pretty regular but, of course, you never know when they are gonna come in.

A lot of the old collectors are dying off, which is unfortunate, but their collections either end up in a shop or at auction. In my favorite shop you still stand a chance, auctions have been going rather high lately.

Just being in the right place at the right time. Good luck to you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There was a guy trying to sell one at the Shipshewana show yesterday. There have always been some at the Nappanee shows.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got my IBM carbine (I'm in IT - had to do it. :):) on Gunbroker at the high end of market price at the time a few years ago. Prices have gone up quite a bit since then for a USGI rifle.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I would check out gun shows and armslist. They pop up from time to time on Armslist. You defiantly see them for sale at Gun shows too. There are usually 1-2 at Tipton. Also, they were imported. Some so exist with import markings, which are less desirable from a collector standpoint.

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    seems hit or miss. every once in a while you see them at public auctions. But auction prices get crazy unless it is a weekday auction

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    Yeah, if they are not scams. I was looking for one since April and finally got one in November. Good luck to you but they are not easy to find anymore, especially under $1000. I went into a gun shop recently who told me they go for 350-500. Maybe for him from people who don’t know what they have. Good luck to you and keep looking. Something is bound to pop up sometime.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Carbine

Keep an eye out on classifieds here. I just sold an Inland for $700 or so, and I’ve picked them up here too. I like the M1 Carbine, but seem to divert back to Garands

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yep the old ones bring big cash and only go up in value. Everyone wants one. I wouldn't waste time looking for one. If you want one to shoot there are new repop ones out there. I want to say Kahr or auto ordnance makes them. They shoot good and look the same. I remember a police department traded a bunch in at a shop. They sat there forever and couldn't give them away. With the low price of the AR rifle right now...........stack em up

Top Bottom