• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't you just love this time of year? Pre-SHOT, I just love it.

Get your retro on with the Brownell's BRN-605:

NEW-Brownells-BRN-605-Carbine-2.jpg

(Scroll down for video)

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/12/28/new-brownells-brn-605-carbine/

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Never knew about them. Could those have been the "original" dissipator AR?
    Certainly looks like it.

What is a dissipator?:dunno:
    A dissipator is exactly what you are looking at.
    Here is Bushmaster definition:
    Definition. Bushmaster Dissipator. A “dissipator” or “dissy” is an AR-15 with a 16″ barrel but with rifle length front sight post. There's some controversy about who invented what, but they can first be seen in Vietnam era photos.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Certainly looks like it.

Definition. Bushmaster Dissipator. A “dissipator” or “dissy” is an AR-15 with a 16″ barrel but with rifle length front sight post. There's some controversy about who invented what, but they can first be seen in Vietnam era photos.

Bushmaster MOE dissy

Attachments

• 90829-MOE-Dissipator-Right.jpg
      90829-MOE-Dissipator-Right.jpg
      18.9 KB · Views: 9

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Bushhamster? Bushmaster did not invent anything.

Everything came from the people with the patent, Colt.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Certainly looks like it.

Bushhamster? Bushmaster did not invent anything.

Everything came from the people with the patent, Colt.

I see nothing in the post that suggests Bushmaster was given credit for the "invention".

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    For the the real hard core retro guys, go here. https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-15-M-16-Retro-Forum/123/

It's a religious experience for these fellows. They corrupted me with retros, then just when I thought I had defiled myself enough they got me going on SP 1 Colts. To the tune of SP 1s, SP 2s, 6920s. 6520s and Match Hbars. Now it's starting with Windham Bushmasters.

I'm apparently weak and easily influenced.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    I see nothing in the post that suggests Bushmaster was given credit for the "invention".
    Technically it'd be an 'innovation' instead of an 'invention'. As in they might have not pioneered it, but they were one of the first to market the concept of a dissy on the commercial market with success (apparently).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here's the 'M16A1' retro I picked up a little while ago from Brownells, i've been pretty impressed with it so far. I printed some A1 goup/zero targets as well to finish getting it zeroed.

2UAkkYL.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Did you find the sight tool for that antique?

If you want I can smack you in the steel pot with a range paddle and cuss you that will probably help the zero process along.

mechanically zero the weapon, the firer adjusts the up or down until the base of the front sight post is flush with the well. Then he adjusts the front sight post 11 clicks in the direction of UP. This moves the post down into the well 11 clicks. The soldier turns the rear sight windage drum until it moves all the way to the left side and locks. Then, he turns the windage drum back (right) 17 clicks so the rear sight is approximately centered.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Did you find the sight tool for that antique?

If you want I can smack you in the steel pot with a range paddle and cuss you that will probably help the zero process along.

mechanically zero the weapon, the firer adjusts the up or down until the base of the front sight post is flush with the well. Then he adjusts the front sight post 11 clicks in the direction of UP. This moves the post down into the well 11 clicks. The soldier turns the rear sight windage drum until it moves all the way to the left side and locks. Then, he turns the windage drum back (right) 17 clicks so the rear sight is approximately centered.

Luckily my front sight tool is A1 on one side and A2 on the other!

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Certainly looks like it.

Bushmaster is full of it. The 605 was Colts first attempt at a carbine version of the M16 and the military showed almost zero interest in it so it was dropped. I don't think anyone has ever found a photo of one in VN, but you will see the 607 and later XM177 series.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I remember seeing a Colt m16a1 reissue for sale. Think it's called a m16a1r. Anyway, point is, Colt is also doing the reissues.

Top Bottom