• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    New for SHOT, Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and PRC.

(Scroll down for video)

1-1.jpg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/04/ruger-hawkeye-long-range-target-6-5-prc/

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got to handle one of these in 6.5C and I was pretty impressed, that pistol grip is very ergonomic and the trigger was great, it'll catch you by surprise. The one I looked at was priced at 1019.00 and definitely seemed worth it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That reminds me a lot of the Bergara HMR. Although I own and enjoy several Ruger rifles I think I would probably opt for the HMR if they were to chamber it in the 6.5 PRC, if not this Ruger looks like a nice option.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I REALLY wish this had a barrel nut instead of the current barrel attachment method. Why couldn't they use the RPR barrel attachment method? That 6.5 PRC will need a new barrel about every other season (or more) for a competitive shooter, it sure would be nice to order up a barrel and screw it on at home.

(Barrel life pessimism based on 6.5x284 and similar hot rods).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That reminds me a lot of the Bergara HMR. Although I own and enjoy several Ruger rifles I think I would probably opt for the HMR if they were to chamber it in the 6.5 PRC, if not this Ruger looks like a nice option.

Now that you mention it that does look like the Bergara, maybe that's what I couldn't put my finger on about that rifle.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I REALLY wish this had a barrel nut instead of the current barrel attachment method. Why couldn't they use the RPR barrel attachment method? That 6.5 PRC will need a new barrel about every other season (or more) for a competitive shooter, it sure would be nice to order up a barrel and screw it on at home.

(Barrel life pessimism based on 6.5x284 and similar hot rods).

Is it really even meant to be for any kind of serious competition shooting though? I'm not at all a competitive shooter so I could certainly be wrong on my interpretation but this seems like this Ruger is at most an entry level setup for competition and primarily geared to hunters that want a semi chassis rifle or the casual long range shooter. Either way, Ruger's past tendencies to go all in with new cartridges would suggest that this model will not be the only one Ruger releases chambered in 6.5 PRC. I would expect them to also release an RPR and a standard Hawkeye in 6.5 PRC at a minimum and probably an FTW as well.

Speaking of the HMR, I saw this morning that Bergara is chambering them in .450 Bushmaster now. While I can see the appeal of this type of rifle being chambered in a long range capable caliber, WTH would be the appeal of a having a .450 on a semi-chassis?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Is it really even meant to be for any kind of serious competition shooting though? I'm not at all a competitive shooter so I could certainly be wrong on my interpretation but this seems like this Ruger is at most an entry level setup for competition and primarily geared to hunters that want a semi chassis rifle or the casual long range shooter. Either way, Ruger's past tendencies to go all in with new cartridges would suggest that this model will not be the only one Ruger releases chambered in 6.5 PRC. I would expect them to also release an RPR and a standard Hawkeye in 6.5 PRC at a minimum and probably an FTW as well.

Speaking of the HMR, I saw this morning that Bergara is chambering them in .450 Bushmaster now. While I can see the appeal of this type of rifle being chambered in a long range capable caliber, WTH would be the appeal of a having a .450 on a semi-chassis?

Yeah, it would definitely be entry level or for the casual shooter i'm sure. The one I looked at was priced at 1020.00, serious shooters may spend that much or more on just a stock.

Top Bottom