• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We took it to the Range today and it will not chamber a round at all. The gears for lack of a better word on the bolt are very rough. Is there something I can check or should I just send it back to Ruger? We purchased it brand new and it's never been fired.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Does the round go in but sticks out of battery...???
    A pic...??
    Round appears to go partially in. Charging handle will lock up as well as Saftey lever. Then you really have to bump the stock to get the round out. Rso took the bolt out and said it felt very rough.

At first I thought it was me not properly seating the magazine, but we tried 3 different pmags same result, locks up every time.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Try lots of lube. Really soak it. Then see if it Chambers a round. I saw a Daniel Defense have the same issue

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I handled scores of ruger ar556's from behind the counter. They were decent except for the bcg. Machining was rough to put it nicely (since I like ruger as a whole). Some worse than others but all rough. Try a different bcg if you have another one. This has fixed a couple that were brought back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Round appears to go partially in. Charging handle will lock up as well as Saftey lever. Then you really have to bump the stock to get the round out. Rso took the bolt out and said it felt very rough.

At first I thought it was me not properly seating the magazine, but we tried 3 different pmags same result, locks up every time.

Pull the bolt.....see if a round will drop in the chamber.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Don't know if you tried a different brand of 223 round to just make sure something isn't out of spec on the rounds you were using.

It does sound like there may be a chamber issue, particularly if round won't drop in as Churchmouse has suggested.

But go ahead and give Ruger a call. They have about the best customer service in this industry, and they will make it right.

Ron

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I recently bought a Ruger MPR and had problems with it cycling rounds. The bolt seemed tight around the locking lugs. I put in a known good BCG from another AR and still
    had issues. I called Ruger and they wanted me to send it back. Ruger emailed a pre-paid shipping label and turned the gun around in 7 days. The paper they sent back with the rifle
    said they replaced the upper. They didn't specify if it was complete upper or just upper receiver. Customer service was good. Gun runs fine now. Good luck with your rifle.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I recently bought a Ruger MPR and had problems with it cycling rounds. The bolt seemed tight around the locking lugs. I put in a known good BCG from another AR and still
    had issues. I called Ruger and they wanted me to send it back. Ruger emailed a pre-paid shipping label and turned the gun around in 7 days. The paper they sent back with the rifle
    said they replaced the upper. They didn't specify if it was complete upper or just upper receiver. Customer service was good. Gun runs fine now. Good luck with your rifle.

Sorry but BCG?
    Thank you

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    Don't know if you tried a different brand of 223 round to just make sure something isn't out of spec on the rounds you were using.

It does sound like there may be a chamber issue, particularly if round won't drop in as Churchmouse has suggested.Ron

As stated above take the BCG out and try to drop a round in to make sure there’s not something going on there. Should go all the way in with no resistance.

Not to insult your intelligence but you are using the correct ammo? Surely you are? It sounds like your a little green to firearms is why I ask. I once witnessed a guy trying to load .223 rounds in a AK47, as he had no clue about guns. Luckily he was intelligent enough he realized something was wrong when loading a mag and others that knew what they were doing was around. Again, I’m not saying you don’t know what your doing but you don’t know what you don’t know.

If all seems well there call ruger and tell them whats going on before getting out the file and cleaning up burs on the bolt lugs. They have great customer service and should take care of you.

Jus my :twocents: for what it’s worth

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    As stated above take the BCG out and try to drop a round in to make sure there’s not something going on there. Should go all the way in with no resistance.

Not to insult your intelligence but you are using the correct ammo? Surely you are? It sounds like your a little green to firearms is why I ask. I once witnessed a guy trying to load .223 rounds in a AK47, as he had no clue about guns. Luckily he was intelligent enough he realized something was wrong when loading a mag and others that knew what they were doing was around. Again, I’m not saying you don’t know what your doing but you don’t know what you don’t know.

If all seems well there call ruger and tell them whats going on before getting out the file and cleaning up burs on the bolt lugs. They have great customer service and should take care of you.

Jus my :twocents: for what it’s worth

Well to be honest I am a Mini Guy love both my 14 and 30 to me I find them better suited to my tastes.

To answer your question 3 different brands of 223 were tried all brass case. I pulled the bolt carrier group out and found it to be very stiff. I grabbed the spray can of gun scrubbed hosed it down and let it air dry. Then I cycled it back and forth several times while adding drops of Hoppes gun oil. It seemed to loosen up a bit.

But still when you pull the charging handle the bolt does not travel fully forward unless you give it a slight tap with your hand.

I am guessing I have found the issue?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well to be honest I am a Mini Guy love both my 14 and 30 to me I find them better suited to my tastes.

To answer your question 3 different brands of 223 were tried all brass case. I pulled the bolt carrier group out and found it to be very stiff. I grabbed the spray can of gun scrubbed hosed it down and let it air dry. Then I cycled it back and forth several times while adding drops of Hoppes gun oil. It seemed to loosen up a bit.

But still when you pull the charging handle the bolt does not travel fully forward unless you give it a slight tap with your hand.

I am guessing I have found the issue?

Is this with no round being chambered. BCG only...????????

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    When putting a round in, are you slowly letting the charging handle/bolt go forward or are you pulling the charging handle to the rear and completely letting go of it and allowing it to “slam” back into battery?

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    :popcorn::popcorn:

Whenever I start running a new AR i bring a few mags by different manufacturers, and on the last one, I was glad to have a spare upper and bcg to diagnose issues. I also soak them LIBERALLY with gun oil, until it's seeping out the trigger pin holes and splattering our the dust cover. Once it runs good I don't keep them that wet. With a rifle manufactured completely by one company, if I had any issues whatsoever, I would call them, just like a car, kitchen appliance, etc. Good luck, keep us posted!

Top Bottom