Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59
  1. #21
    Expert goodcat's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Ruger MPR is the way to go. Good two stage trigger, good muzzle brake, Magpul stuff from factory. MOA all day with the right ammo or sub with custom loads. Cheap. Good quality, not the best, is getting cheap. I stopped building 223 when it arrived. Still build my other ARs though
    I thought Mosin Nagants came from the earth and there was a limitless supply of this raw fuel?

  2. #22
    Grandmaster KJQ6945's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    Super sonic 300blk rolls them over pretty good even through their armor plated shoulder. 6.8 and 6.5 are better but generally going to take a little more than 500 to get a mildly reliable set up rolling.
    No argument from me, but from when I was researching my trip in 2017, a lot of the places I looked at wouldn't allow .300 or 5.56. Some of the places and outfitters were very particular on equipment, and the number of hogs shot.

  3. #23
    Plinker Dybber's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I actually like M&P Sport. Iíve never had an issue and for range time and plinking it is great. I like it better than the Ruger that was too tight to take down. Is it top of the line? Absolutely not. But Iíd take it over no AR. However, I like the gun. Someday I will build my own or buy a higher end AR but for now this suits me fine. I feel the same about my Bushmaster.
    I too am planning a TX hog hunt and bought a .308 for that purpose. Most of these hog ranches say .223 is the smallest they recommend. Since Iíve hunted a lot with the .308 that is what I thought would be best.
    Clinging to my guns and religion.

  4. #24
    Grandmaster

    User Info Menu

    I picked up a brand new M&P Sport last year for $100 and never even fired it.
    I won it at an FNRA banquet and gifted it to my uncle.

    He seems to like it.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

  5. #25
    Grandmaster KJQ6945's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Per S&W, the M&P Sport II, has a 1 in 9 twist barrel. I would avoid this personally, as it won't stabilize the bigger bullets needed for shooting hogs. 1 in 8 is the minimum.


  6. #26
    Expert Ggreen's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    No argument from me, but from when I was researching my trip in 2017, a lot of the places I looked at wouldn't allow .300 or 5.56. Some of the places and outfitters were very particular on equipment, and the number of hogs shot.
    I've seen a few outfits that won't allow 300subs, and generally don't specify. 300blk supers have quite the following in north Texas south central oklahoma where ive been hunting for them. Personally I'll take my grendel next time, 223 was not effective my pigs ran a long way and recovered the next morning with the dogs after i was gone.

  7. #27
    Grandmaster DoggyDaddy's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Dybber View Post
    I actually like M&P Sport. Iíve never had an issue and for range time and plinking it is great. I like it better than the Ruger that was too tight to take down. Is it top of the line? Absolutely not. But Iíd take it over no AR. However, I like the gun. Someday I will build my own or buy a higher end AR but for now this suits me fine. I feel the same about my Bushmaster.
    I too am planning a TX hog hunt and bought a .308 for that purpose. Most of these hog ranches say .223 is the smallest they recommend. Since Iíve hunted a lot with the .308 that is what I thought would be best.
    I was wondering, "Why not 308?" myself. I've got a PA-10 that I built, and while I've only shot steel with it, it would easily shoot minute of hog at 350 yards even with surplus 7.62x51, but it would be a little over the OP's budget of $500.

  8. #28
    Grandmaster KJQ6945's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    I've seen a few outfits that won't allow 300subs, and generally don't specify. 300blk supers have quite the following in north Texas south central oklahoma where ive been hunting for them. Personally I'll take my grendel next time, 223 was not effective my pigs ran a long way and recovered the next morning with the dogs after i was gone.
    The difference between a 77gr 5.56 and a 125gr .300 super is about 50 ft/lbs. the .300 super is 1/2 that of a .308

    Neiher the 5.56 or the .300 is ideal, but they will work, given excellent shot placement. .300 offers very little over 5.56, except quiet. Quiet, it is the ballistic equal to .45 acp. It doesn't fill any niche I have.

    The 77gr is faster by 550fps, but gives up only 50 ft/lbs of energy. It's a a wash, at best.







    .308 for comparison



  9. #29
    Grandmaster KJQ6945's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I was wondering, "Why not 308?" myself. I've got a PA-10 that I built, and while I've only shot steel with it, it would easily shoot minute of hog at 350 yards even with surplus 7.62x51, but it would be a little over the OP's budget of $500.
    .308 is ideal, until you have to carry the gun. Size and weight are the only downside.

  10. #30
    Grandmaster Hoosier45's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    The difference between a 77gr 5.56 and a 125gr .300 super is about 50 ft/lbs. the .300 super is 1/2 that of a .308

    Neiher the 5.56 or the .300 is ideal, but they will work, given excellent shot placement. .300 offers very little over 5.56, except quiet. Quiet, it is the ballistic equal to .45 acp. It doesn't fill any niche I have.

    The 77gr is faster by 550fps, but gives up only 50 ft/lbs of energy. It's a a wash, at best.







    .308 for comparison


    I noticed you snuck the lapua in there. That will work on porky.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •