• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Haven’t shot or owned an AR rifle since 1970. Was government issued.

I’m considering a TX hog hunt this year and thinking about getting an AR. Don’t know a damn thing about different makes/models. I see prices all over the board. I don’t want or need a 1,000 Camp Perry tack driver. Maybe a 300 yd gun at best. Want reliability and decent accuracy. Where is the best resource to learn about variations and fair market prices ?

Thanks in advance

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Having been where you are just a few years ago when I embarked on my own journey of AR-discovery, I wish you well on your path to enlightenment. :D

First, this forum is a great reference, especially on the anecdotal stuff, or just general insight.

Second, my own story involves 2 ARs: a very high quality LMT and a budget version built on an Anderson lower. The LMT is exceptional (now SBR'd) and should be for the price. The Anderson, though, is the one that has taken hogs and deer (in east Texas). (In fairness to the LMT, I've only used it for hunting a couple times and don't even take it any more because of other rifles I've acquired.)

Third, in my experience about 300 yds is probably further than I'd use a .223/5.56 for hunting. All of our shots have been inside 200 yds, and the majority around 100 yds. That's about the sweet spot for that round (again IMHO). Another note about that, we quickly moved up to the 75 or 77 gr bullets for hunting. I've been really impressed with them. The deer we've taken have run about 50 ft on average, then fallen. The hogs less than that.

Nowadays, I'd budget $500-600 for a solid, budget-conscious AR for hunting and truck gun usage (not counting optic). If you can get 100 clean rounds through it with a scope that'll keep a zero, then I'd think it would suffice. If you have a longer timeline, you can watch for deals and get one closer to $400.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I can offer you advise on a 1000 yard CAMP PERRY tack driver........that being said.....I can't offer you caliber advise, but for quality rock river arms is very hard to beat

I personally would look at a 308 bolt gun

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Where does a Smith and Wesson Sport II fall on the continuum? Low end, middle-of-the-road, junk?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Reasons? Don't know much about them so I'm curious.

They are a bit funky. The lowers are cheaply made, the barrels are inconsistent, the furniture is rattly... they had some major qc issues with their cheap mim lpk's. Would a first time user notice, probably not. It is no joke that my 300 dollar bca was/is a nicer gun.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Thanks for all the answers so far. Guess I should have provided the parameters I do know. I’d like to keep the gun only purchase price at $500. I’ve got enough general utility scopes I can find something to put on a gun. I have a bolt action .223, dies, and enough reloading components to last me awhile so the preferred AR caliber is .223.

I don’t think I need or want special amenities such as a collapsible stock, but again knowledgeable folks may say there are certain items that are a must have. My analogy would be to have the equivalent of a Remington 1100 shotgun as that gun relates to other shotguns. Step above a Remington 870 (pump) but below an over and under !

I have a son-in-law who has built three or four rifles. I’d ask him to help me build a gun but he lives in Houston and can’t stand at my elbow during a build. I’m just like all the other cheapskates and don’t wanna pay full retail. My preference would be to find a reasonable quality used, but not abused, gun. Two friends and I are looking at a summer hunt so I’m in no huge rush.

I’ll begin checking the want ads on this site to see what is available. Guess I could also put a WTB listing up - but without knowing anything about quality of manufacturer or various components I’m reluctant to go that way just yet even though I know no one would ever overprice a for sale gun on here ! :):

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I can offer you advise on a 1000 yard CAMP PERRY tack driver........that being said.....I can't offer you caliber advise, but for quality rock river arms is very hard to beat

I personally would look at a 308 bolt gun

I have a Kimber .308 bolt action. Just thought the AR platform might be more appropriate, especially if we got really stupid and decided to do a helicopter hunt.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    If you reload, I would give serious consideration to a 300BO. I may be biased (I am) but for hogs and deer (in IN) that would be my first go to especially since you reload. Put some extra $ in your lower, a decent trigger (you can still get a Larue MBT for $87), etc. then when you want, add a 556 upper.

Just my. :twocents: FWIW and all that.

:ingo:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I agree with gravy. 223 is not an ideal hog round, 300 is a lethal pill within 250yards and forgiving on shot placement. Adjustable stocks are generally cheaper than fixed. 500 will not guarantee a reliable ar but it will get you something that works most the time.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The classifieds lately have had some good deals on ARs, including some in that price range. I think you'll be able to find something appropriate here.

If not, I'm another of the "if I can build an AR, then literally anyone can." Also, PSA sometimes has deals on complete lowers that are solid. That's a cost-effective way of avoiding any assembly. You need to add the cost of the dealer, but it can still be a good deal.

Really, since you have some time, you should be able to get a good deal on an upper/lower at different times and stay under $500.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They are a bit funky. The lowers are cheaply made, the barrels are inconsistent, the furniture is rattly... they had some major qc issues with their cheap mim lpk's. Would a first time user notice, probably not. It is no joke that my 300 dollar bca was/is a nicer gun.

Pretty much covers it. Sloppy fittment at best. Yes they ran but I was never impressed.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The preferred rounds for hog hunting, with an AR15 platform, are 6.8spc, and 6.5grendel. That being said, 5.56 and .300blk have killed plenty, too, you just have to have a near perfect shot to do it.

If you are planning to stay with 5.56, as TLex stated earlier, 77gr bullets are the way to go. To shoot the 77's you'll need a 1 in 7, or 1 in 8 twist.
    good luck, it is a blast.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The preferred rounds for hog hunting, with an AR15 platform, are 6.8spc, and 6.5grendel. That being said, 5.56 and .300blk have killed plenty, too, you just have to have a near perfect shot to do it.

If you are planning to stay with 5.56, as TLex stated earlier, 77gr bullets are the way to go. To shoot the 77's you'll need a 1 in 7, or 1 in 8 twist.
    good luck, it is a blast.

Super sonic 300blk rolls them over pretty good even through their armor plated shoulder. 6.8 and 6.5 are better but generally going to take a little more than 500 to get a mildly reliable set up rolling.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, shot placement - for me - is a function of range. I readily admit to being an average shooter, on a good day. ;) Since I'm only using the 5.56 at ~150 yds or less (mostly less), with decent optics (at least a 3x magnification), getting the right shot has been pretty routine.

If the shots were routinely further than that, I'd use a different caliber. Or get WAY better at shooting. ;)

Top Bottom