Folks with hunting experience: thoughts on scout rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm no long range pretend sniper.

At most I may do some hunting with a bolt action 308.

I know scout rifles set up in the scout rifle with forward optic configuration are loved/hated.

What are your real world experiences with them while hunting? I know the stock replies but would like to hear from folks who have tried them and loved them or tried them and found it to be less than ideal.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states

I know scout rifles set up in the scout rifle with forward optic configuration are loved/hated.

What are your real world experiences with them while hunting? I know the stock replies but would like to hear from folks who have tried them and loved them or tried them and found it to be less than ideal.
    So far from my experience, you cant go wrong with medium to high end Nikon, bushnell, never owned a viper yet but getting one soon as I have four friends that are avid hunters and swear by them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states

But, just for the record.. probably as many people would disagree with me as would agree with me

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If your pref is for low mag optic when deer hunting, why wouldn't a scout setup be good?

I'd like to try a Rem 600 w 2X Leupold up front.

Not used one afield, but buds have them and they seem OK to me.
    EER scopes on handguns me no likey.
    Slap it on something with a stock and they settle down just fine.

Last edited:

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    If your pref is for low mag optic when deer hunting, why wouldn't a scout setup be good?

I'd like to try a Rem 600 w 2X Leupold up front.

Not used one afield, but buds have them and they seem OK to me.
    EER scopes on handguns me no likey.
    Slap it on something with a stock and they settle down just fine.
    The main case I would make is, with a say 5-25x you would always have the option of reaching out further if you ever wanted to. But that's just me, I realize everyone has a different logic.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The main case I would make is, with a say 5-25x you would always have the option of reaching out further if you ever wanted to. But that's just me, I realize everyone has a different logic.

I've never seen long eye relief scout options with magnification that high. Are you familiar with scout rifles?

Op. They are ideal hunting rifles for intermediate distances. The main problem is that you have to get long eye relief optics which are rare of the shelf. Or just use the irons. I'm a big fan of them in all flavors.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think TFox is saying going with more mag in a non scout setup would allow him to reach out further.

OK..........who hunts deer at 25X?

How much mag does one need to place bullets on target?

Think some scout scopes in the 2.5-8X range.
    Didn't Burris make a 4-12X EER?

Thought the idea of a scout rifle was to run irons or scope, so the comb would be lower, and whatever optic mounted would be as low as possible.
    Kinda mandates a small objective.

T Fox mentions 5-25 X, possibly suggesting that scope would cover everything needed.
    In the woods, a 1 or 2X at the low end makes movers easy.
    Have shot movers at 1X, 2X, 4X and iron sights. I like 1X/2X way better.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Leupold makes a 1.5-5X scout scope.
    Bet that'd be a dandy.
    Price is a bit steep, even the Freedom version scout scope.
    I'd look for a fixed 2X Leupold handgun scope, used. Last one I got was 85 bucks.
    Unfortunately the 600 Remington I want will cost a fair bit more LOL.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    FWIW I'd think a 4x good to 300 yards.
    And most folks not good enough to shoot 300 yards on deer (field positions, no bipods).

Recently I was able to use a 3.5x acog at 400yards without any real difficulty or training. I'm beginning to think magnification is overrated

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Imo modern optics have made forward mounting optics obsolete. Some of the modern 1-6 or 1-8s have great eye box's that you can easily run both eyes open like a reflex up until 3x or so. This keeps a wide field of view, but still let's you dial up the magnification if needed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a Hi-Lux 2-7 on my GSR. Not quite into load development yet, but factory American Eagle hits roughly on top of each other at 100, MOA-ish at 200 with 2" drop. Drop is more significant at 350, but I have a hold, creatively using the reticle at that distance.

Accuracy at 350, with me on the trigger :rolleyes:, needs some work. I'll have to work on a few things to be able to make an ethical hunting shot at that distance, but maybe. I'm certainly comfy with hunting accuracy beyond 200, but wouldn't take that shot without shooting groups at the longer distances.

My gun is light and short, making for an easy carry. It'd be nice if the IDNR would get off their asses and let me hunt public ground with it. :xmad:

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Recently I was able to use a 3.5x acog at 400yards without any real difficulty or training. I'm beginning to think magnification is overrated
    I wouldn't say over rated as much as misunderstood. FFP vs SFP makes all the difference in the world if you shooting extended range precision. I think SFP is best suited for extended precision..

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I've never seen long eye relief scout options with magnification that high. Are you familiar with scout rifles?

Op. They are ideal hunting rifles for intermediate distances. The main problem is that you have to get long eye relief optics which are rare of the shelf. Or just use the irons. I'm a big fan of them in all flavors.
    Yes sir, I know what scout rifles are, I have a Savage 308 scout, It has a high mag Bushnell that work pretty descent:)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I think they work well if you're into them. Me personally I think they look wonky with the offset scope:n00b:. Like a lever gun with a scope:abused:. Some things just ain't right.

Like others have mentioned so many better options these days.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Imo modern optics have made forward mounting optics obsolete. Some of the modern 1-6 or 1-8s have great eye box's that you can easily run both eyes open like a reflex up until 3x or so. This keeps a wide field of view, but still let's you dial up the magnification if needed.

Funny, I shoot both eyes open on everything, always have.
    That includes varmint rifles using up to 12X.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I used a 2-7 Burris handgun scope on a "scout" setup a while back. Eye relief was just about perfect and it worked very well. Had that scope on a 10/22 and a Ruger Blackhawk .357 at various times.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom