• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I picked up this Weatherby Mark V a while back along with about 15 other firearms and I was wondering what specific model it is and a ball park of value. It's chambered in 7mm Weatherby Mag, made in Japan (if I remember right), has a leupold 3x9 Vari-X II scope, Redfield mount, and appears to be hand engraved scope rings.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice rifle, tough call on value as 7mm Weatherby isn't very common.

Best bet is to hunt around on GB for something similar.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've tried and haven't come up with one similar in the same caliber. There seems to pretty vast differences in price.

The 7mm came off bad when introduced as the twist was too slow for heavier bullets where this cartridge can really shine. When they moved production to Japan they corrected this problem, so you get the reverse in value that usually applies to older Weatherbys where the west German guns command a premium. The 7mm loaded heavy also has a reputation for chewing on barrels. I've seen and sold one, a German model back in the 80s for just under $1K. Sorry I don't have more info, just don't see them much, and each box of ammo comes with smelling salts to wake up customers after they see the price.;)

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    The 7mm came off bad when introduced as the twist was too slow for heavier bullets where this cartridge can really shine. When they moved production to Japan they corrected this problem, so you get the reverse in value that usually applies to older Weatherbys where the west German guns command a premium. The 7mm loaded heavy also has a reputation for chewing on barrels. I've seen and sold one, a German model back in the 80s for just under $1K. Sorry I don't have more info, just don't see them much, and each box of ammo comes with smelling salts to wake up customers after they see the price.;)

I have a pretty old box of factory ammo and probably 300 pieces of brass + a couple boxes of bullets in case I want to shoot it

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a pretty old box of factory ammo and probably 300 pieces of brass + a couple boxes of bullets in case I want to shoot it

I would get some dies and have some fun with it. It's one of those cartridge that can reach out a long way and hammer game flat. As I remember they are very loud!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw a minty one recently, at a shop.............price was $800.
    The rings are just regular rings, IIRC Leupold/Redfield (somebody) offered them with "engraving".
    Performance supposedly not much diff than 7mm Rem Mag.

Factory ammo pricing usually keeps folks from buying one.

I want a .257 for yotes :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remember, on pretty stuff..............small dings and dents seems to hurt the value more.
    Like a wart on a super model kinda thing.
    The 7mm WM I looked at a month ago, I don't think there was a mark on it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Looks like a standard Mark V Deluxe. Weatherby's can be tough, this one has definitely been used. The rings aren't hand engraved I believe they were just fancier rings available from Redfield. Price on these can vary depending on region. When i'm in MI I see a lot of used Weatherby's because a lot of dealers up there were stocking dealers. I've seen many in this condition from 900-1200.00 other places where they might be more unique they might be more. Most common that I see are the 300 Wby Mag not the 7mm's. They are beautiful rifles though.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Looks like a standard Mark V Deluxe. Weatherby's can be tough, this one has definitely been used. The rings aren't hand engraved I believe they were just fancier rings available from Redfield. Price on these can vary depending on region. When i'm in MI I see a lot of used Weatherby's because a lot of dealers up there were stocking dealers. I've seen many in this condition from 900-1200.00 other places where they might be more unique they might be more. Most common that I see are the 300 Wby Mag not the 7mm's. They are beautiful rifles though.

I would very much agree with this. The 7mm Weatherby is prolly the closest to a standard caliber(7mm Remington). They are usually an easy sell if you go thru the right channels. Federal, Remington once made ammo for the 7mm. Weatherby is pretty much your only route. I would buy a few boxes of Spitzers from Weatherby and buy some dies.

dan45

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 25, 2019
    brownsburg
    sorry I cant help with the value but I would guess at least $700. I've got one in .30-.06 and they are beautiful rifles.

Top Bottom