• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I am in need of the collective INGO wisdom here.

I am seeking out first hand recommendations for a semi auto 20ga. shotgun for home defense. It is for my daughter (her request for a shotgun) and she currently has my Mossberg 9200 at her house, but it’s a little too much.

Some of the things we are looking for are-

1) RELIABLE
    2) Youth sized or capable of being adaptable to a small framed woman.
    3) RELIABLE
    4) Light weight and easy to maneuver with
    5) RELIABLE
    6) Affordable

I know I emphasize the RELIABLE part pretty hard, but this is non-negotiable for us. She needs to count on this to protect her and my grandchildren should the unthinkable happen.

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    Remington 11-87
    Tristar viper g2
    Weatherby sa-08
    Cz 720 g2
    Cz 820 sa
    Mossberg sa 20
    To name a few

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The only semi-auto shotguns I have experience with are the Weatherby SA08 and the Saiga.
    Both run like champs.
    I would not hesitate with the Mossberg either. I've had enough experience with the rest of their offerings that I would be comfortable with the choice.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I didn't trust the quality from guns mentioned above. Went with a Benelli Nova 20ga and a Nordic extension. Stuck a sling and a shell holder on it. It does it all from killing squirrels to security detail. My second choice is always Rem 870. They make a seven shot synthetic 20ga.

I did run a Browning Gold hunter semi in 20 ga. Probably the softest shotty I've ever fired next to an FN SLP. Guy would not sell and I haven't been able to locate another. Quality was there but that also comes with a big price tag.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    The only semi-auto shotguns I have experience with are the Weatherby SA08 and the Saiga.
    Both run like champs.
    I would not hesitate with the Mossberg either. I've had enough experience with the rest of their offerings that I would be comfortable with the choice.

I agree about the Mossberg brand. They are they only shotguns that I currently own.

Try either the Remington 1100....or a 870 youth in 20 ga. I know you wanted an auto, but the 870 is a tank and reliable.

Not opposed to a pump if she can tolerate the extra recoil. I figured we would start looking at a gas operated semi auto first since they are generally softer shooting.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    My wife is under 5 foot and small. She handled the 20 gauge Mossberg 500 well, and for me it's an awesome gun. Only operational shotgun at the moment, mostly because it fits the role well for what little I need.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Is it the physical size of the gun or the recoil of a 12 gauge that is the issue? Both can be easily resolved. If the gun is too big it can be fixed by swapping on a youth stock. The recoil can be reduced by using "managed recoil" ammo. We have a Mossberg 500 Persuader loaded with 2 3/4" Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck. It's not marketed as reduced or managed recoil but it's a lot lighter than 3" magnum loads and I'm sure it will do the job.

PS. Our Mossberg is NOT the pistol grip version. Full stock.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I had her put several "reduced recoil" 12ga rounds from 3 different guns.

The first is a Mossberg 500 "Thunder Ranch" with an 18.5" barrel and 13.5" LOP stock. This was the lightest and easiest for her to handle, but the recoil is still pretty strong even with the reduced recoil 00 buckshot.

The second was a Mossberg 500 Persuader with a 20" barrel and 12.5" Magpul stock. This was lighter with the recoil but front heavy for her when fully loaded.

The third was a Mossberg 9200 semi-auto with an 18.5: barrel and 14" LOP walnut stock. There is a night and day difference, in the felt recoil, between the pumps and the auto. The problem is the forearm and stock are wider and bulker than the furniture on the pumps. It makes it less stable in her smaller hands.

Finding reduced recoil 12ga ammo is easy. Not so much with the 20ga. Using standard 20ga buckshot in a lighter pump gun, isn't much different than shooting reduced recoil out of a heavier 12ga. Following that line of thought, a 20ga semi would be a lighter, more controllable platform with an effective round that produces less recoil.

Not committed to any platform or gauge right now. If she finds a 10ga double barrel that she likes, then go for it. But we have to start somewhere and the 20ga auto is that starting point. I don't want to take her to a gunshop or show and have her find something that she really likes but turns out to be a turd that could fail her when she needs it most. Hence I am here for feedback by those that have 20ga autos. If this platform doesn't work out, we will move on to something else.

As a side note, she has handled and really likes the Beretta CX4 carbine, but is concerned about putting holes in the neighbors house accidently. Haven't ruled it out yet.

I appreciate all of the great feedback here and value the informed opinions from everyone. Thanks!!

Top Bottom