The WORST Shotgun You Ever Owned? (And Why)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Mine was by far 2 Cobray shotguns I traded for.
    Between actions that just didn't work, constant jams, complete refusal to cycle, the best thing that happened was the gun ban in '94, the price went through the roof on 'Stupid' and I traded them to a dealer for a Ruger black power pistol and some pieces/parts.

To this day when someone says 'Street Sweeper' or 'Terminator' I cringe. Complete & utter pieces of junk...

GW529H200.jpeg Street Sweeper, the hardest to load, hardest to unload and most malfunctioning piece of :poop: I've ever tried to fire.

images (1).jpeg Terminator single shot steaming pile of :poop:.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I was a kid I had a Mossberg bolt action 12 ga with the adjustable choke. The bolt/receiver let powder spray back and hit me in the face when I shot it.

I guess it was a little loose.:)

13397432_1_x.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    When I was a kid I had a Mossberg bolt action 12 ga with the adjustable choke. The bolt/receiver let powder spray back and hit me in the face when I shot it.

I guess it was a little loose.:)

13397432_1_x.jpg

I had this rifle. It was spot on accurate and left a good pattern. Every company has a bad one get through though.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Well I commented, I should add to it. If ar's are included, ATI Hybrid. They cheaped out on the gas block and it wouldn't cycle.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay...let the hate start.

A Browning A5 20 gauge. I think they did everything they could to let you feel every grain of powder in the shell and don't try to take them apart and clean it unless you have nothing to do for the next week.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Benelli Legacy 12ga semi auto. Beautiful looking gun and I fell for all the marketing hype. To think I dropped $1300 on the darn thing!

I've never been kicked so hard by a gun in my life. The inertia system is terrible. Shoulder was purple after a round of trap. Ridiculous! I was shooting 8 shot!

Couldn't hit a darn thing with it either. Lost two coyotes hunting with it. Always worried about scratching it.

I quickly pedaled it for a grand and went back to a 870. Wont make that mistake again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    UTS 15. Total piece of crap. I sent it back once and it was still a piece of crap. I spent a few hours on the feed ramps and it would run after that. My son has it.

I had 1 930 Moss. of the several I have owned I bought from an Ingo member that said it ran perfectly. It would occasionally jamb for no apparent reason. Can not remember the user name of that member. Would love to have a conversation with him. Nothing Pi$$es me off than to buy a non-functioning firearm and be mislead about it. "Oh it runs just fine".....:(
    I am not saying it was anyone posting in this thread just saying.

That gun was an easy fix. I still have it.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I like old antique crap, guess my wife does too...

Ran across a no name "hardware" gun at my LGS. Late 1800's to early 1900's single shot 12ga.

First pull of the trigger let's the gun fire, second pull of the trigger opens the gun. No external hammer for decocking, I guess you either shot it or put it up cocked and loaded...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting how these new "tactical" shotguns and Mossberg are leading the way currently. I look at Mossberg like Chrysler. They both probably make good products but I'm conditioned from what they were known for when I was younger.

And I haven't gotten over that yet. Though the Ram pick-ups are starting to change my mind about FCA.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mossberg 835 Ulticrap
    Rattled like crazy.
    Shot it a fair bit, never smoothed up.
    Killed a few geese with it.
    Got a rifled bbl for it, since thick wristed shotguns suck for me wingshooting, figured make it a deer rig.
    Barrel had 3.5" chamber, when nobody was making 3.5" slugs.
    Would not shoot any sabot for diddly, even after the rough arsed bore was polished up.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Bought, as I remember an old Winchester 12GA single shot break open in the 60's. It didn't have much blueing left but didn't look bad and was tight. It was the hardest kicking firearm I have ever shot! I am not a little man ~ 6' 2' and had fired many 12 gages even then. It had a long barrel 28 - 30">? and was chocked to a very tight full choke. It actually knocked me down one time. I was determined to use it until I found I was closing my eyes as I pulled the trigger (not conducive to hitting anything!).

I was working at the steel mills at the time and a good friend laughed at me about it, He weighed about 240 and was an ex golden gloves heavy weight champion of Alabama. I said I would sell it to him for $8 so he bought the gun. About a month later I asked him if he had shot it, he said he had but it kicked him so bad he wouldn't do it again! He sold it to his brother (who also bragged he could shoot anything) for $5!
    I asked him what he had agins't his brother!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Mine was by far 2 Cobray shotguns I traded for.
    Between actions that just didn't work, constant jams, complete refusal to cycle, the best thing that happened was the gun ban in '94, the price went through the roof on 'Stupid' and I traded them to a dealer for a Ruger black power pistol and some pieces/parts.

To this day when someone says 'Street Sweeper' or 'Terminator' I cringe. Complete & utter pieces of junk...

View attachment 73975 Street Sweeper, the hardest to load, hardest to unload and most malfunctioning piece of :poop: I've ever tried to fire.

View attachment 73979 Terminator single shot steaming pile of :poop:.

I had one of those Cobray streetsweepers from about 1988-1991. Put thousands of sheap shells through it while home on leave and never had a single issue. Yes, it loaded a might slow, but I could empty all 12 rounds in a matter of seconds. Sold it to a friend I grew up with not long after I got home from the Marines.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I had a Remington model 11 (a Browning A5 clone) that was horrible. Course I somewhat suspected it when I bought it, but the gun was miss-priced and was too good to pass up. It probably was nice when new, but by the time I got it, it had been thoroughly shot out. Misfeeds, rattles, you name it...
    But it still was a good buy... I traded it for something nicer about 10 months later and got 150% of what I paid for it!
    --Rick

Top Bottom