• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So here am on vacation with the family in Arizona and I’m asked if I want to drive the women into town. I tried not to answer hoping that would be an answer but they kept on. Not wanting to be a jerk I agreed. We get to town and I immediately break away and head for the cigar shop. Picked up a few stogies and started walking back to the vehicle and looked over to my right.....

A gun shop. I figure the women folk are at least an hour out so I wander toward the store. I get to the front and there are old firearms parts in a dusty display and I figure this is just the type of place where I might find some hard to find gun that I never see at home.

I wander through looking at the older rifles just to see what was in there. Then I looked up at the rifles hanging on the wall and there it was. Covered in dust, looking like no one has touched it in a year... a Remington 40X 22lr in excellent shape with Olympic sights. “Ugh...I should have never come in here”. As I’m admiring it from afar one of the guys working the store comes over and says “can I show you anything?” He sees what I’m looking st then looks back at me and asks again with a little smirk on his face. He then turns back, grabs it and hands it to me. He walked off and return a moment later with a bore light for me to use.

The price is good and after five more minutes of looking it over the worker comes back and tells me he’s sure the owner has some wiggle room on it. I text two friends of mine who appreciate these rifles and neither are helping me to resist. I tell the worker I can’t buy it since I’m a long way from home. He asks if my home state has a waiting period so I tell him no. He then proceeds to tell me that they can in fact sell it to me. I check with the airlines hoping they won’t allow me to bring it home, another fail. I text the wife in hopes she’ll suggest that I don’t buy it and instead she tells me she would enjoy shooting it.

I managed to leave the store without it but I don’t think I’m gonna sleep tonight. My last hope is that I can’t find a locking hard case to take it with me on the plane. I don’t want to ship it for fear of it disappearing or getting damaged.

Ugh....

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    They don't make them anymore like that for whatever you paid. You owe us pics and I'll volunteer a weekend on my range in Brown County if you'd like to come down and show it off. I have a couple of friends with the sporters of that model. Look THOSE prices up.

Great find and a stellar job of humble bragging!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Over the years I've had many more regrets about not buying guns than I have regrets about buying guns.

Talos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Oh the dangers of entering a gun store! Sounds like a good vacation. I love Arizona gun stores. South west gun culture + dry, no rust, climate. Seeing how the Remington will hold its value and the wife is OK with the purchase Isay go for it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    LOL. I saw the thread title and immediately thought "oh my, what did he get himself into THIS TIME".

My friend, go back tomorrow and buy it. :yesway:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    8x7lgy.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Do you remember that chick in High School that liked you but you didn't ask her out and you've been kicking yourself over it every day since? :xmad:

You don't want to do that again, do you?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ask the shop how much they'll charge to ship it.

Then call ZX or someone up your way and arrange a transfer. The transfer fee and shipping cost will probably be more than made up by not fussing with sourcing a suitable case for airline travel - then hoping the folks at the airline know what they're doing...

Top Bottom