• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, you swap barrels and cylinders to switch calibers? Like swapping an upper and barrel on an AR?

I remember reading about some multi-barrel hunting guns that give you the same flexibility without swapping parts in the field. Drillings, Veirlings, etc... Add in some shell adapters, and they are pretty flexible. All single, shot, though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    More like the ultimate gimmick gun. IMHO this is nothing more than a way to try and make money off suckers who won't ever bother to actually try and use their equipment in the field. Let me try and break this down.

What's the most likely scenario in which one might need to use a "survival rifle?" One where you're away from home, unable to access your full stockpile of supplies (i.e. the safe full of different caliber guns and the ammo to run them). So we're talking about a Bug Out scenario or more likely, a hunting or camping trip. Basically one where you must carry your gear with you.

OK, so they claim the gun is lightweight. That's great. Now add in the weight of 3 additional cylinder barrels and 9 additional CB tube inserts. The weight starts adding up pretty quickly.

Then we need to factor in the ammo. Let's assume we're using the super awesome Survival 6 for a Bug Out situation. Personally if I'm bugging out, I want a minimum of 200 rounds of ammo with me. Anybody want to take a guess at how much 200 rounds of .308 weighs? Or 7.62 x 39? Or 5.56? Or even 9 mm? We're talking multiple pounds of extra weight per caliber. Ain't nobody going to be humping all that ammo with them for very long. The only way to haul all of that stuff around would be in a vehicle. And if you have the luxury of a vehicle, you can simply bring multiple guns.

Now let's consider capacity. The Survivor 6 is limited to six rounds. Six! Imagine the potential scenarios one might need to address in a true survival or WOROL situation. It's not just hunting rabbits. Defense against others is a big consideration. How many people are willing to stake their own life, let alone the lives of their family against a gang of unfriendlies with just six rounds? I know I wouldn't.

This is a range toy at best. It's nothing but a gimmick, plain and simple. And it costs close to $2,000. :n00b:

You want "the ultimate survival gun?" Get yourself a 10/22 Takedown with a couple of BX-25 mags or a Marlin Papoose and be done with it. You can get the weight of either gun to under 5 lbs pretty easily. You can also carry hundreds of rounds of ammo and not give yourself a hernia.

[video=youtube_share;ZdSaw9ooL-I]http://youtu.be/ZdSaw9ooL-I[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Agree with the video. Either the Marlin or 10/22 take-down as a bug-out or get-home rifle. Really depends on the situation.

I think an AR or AK pistol certainly has a place as a get home gun too, because they can be carried in a discreet case like a tennis raquet bag or backpack or even concealed under a jacket with the right sling.

Plus a get home scenario is generally short term and wouldn't require as much ammo. You probably wouldn't be hunting with it, only using it for self protection.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've had a CMMG 22LR AR conversion kit collecting dust for some time. Never shot it.

I'm gonna start perusing shooting it. If I can find an ammo solution for decent accuracy and reliability, I'd like to work it into my rifle bag.

I've always heard the accuracy of these kits was poor, due to .223 vs .224. Been watching some vids where some folks are getting accuracy though...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've had a CMMG 22LR AR conversion kit collecting dust for some time. Never shot it.

I'm gonna start perusing shooting it. If I can find an ammo solution for decent accuracy and reliability, I'd like to work it into my rifle bag.

I've always heard the accuracy of these kits was poor, due to .223 vs .224. Been watching some vids where some folks are getting accuracy though...

I have one that I bought second hand. I've had lots of issues with it so far. I don't trust it at all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have one that I bought second hand. I've had lots of issues with it so far. I don't trust it at all.

I got mine the same way. I trust mine enough to have never tried it. :n00b: I'm gonna try it in a rifle or two though to see if there is a decent ammo/gun combo that could work.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've already sanded and polished the feed ramp and bore just to get it to accept rounds somewhat consistently and polished the rails to try and get it to cycle better. I still haven't managed to get it to cycle and fire more than about 5 rounds in a row.

To be fair, I've only tried it in my AR pistol and not a rifle yet. I'm wondering if a longer dwell time with a longer barrel might help it cycle better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oh, I'm not at all comfortable with .22LR as my only weapon.

IF I can make the conversion kit work, I'll certainly add an extra pound of parts and .22LR ammo to my .556 rifle bag. I'll likely cut out some of the heavy-assed 5.56 ammo also.

I always have 50 rounds of 9mm and the stuff to shoot it on my belt.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you need something that shoots "everything," A break action single shot 12ga and a set of those caliber conversion inserts would work, be lighter and more compact, and a lot less expensive. I think Ralston's market is "rich guys who like gimmicks."

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    As a life long soldier "survival" has always meant "fighting for survival" so I always want to gravitate towards a handgun in no less than 9mm, or a rifle in no less than 5.56, but strictly "survival" as in just living off the land with... I have to go with a .22LR because the ability to carry the maximum amount of ammo, is king, and weight is a killer when you're talking living out of a pack. I don't have my "ultimate survival gun" yet. I do have a stainless 10/22. It will be replaced with a 12/22 charger takedown that has the copper custom pistol brace, and a suppressor by sometime this spring. Same capability, yet I will be able to store it more easily, and it will be even more quiet.

If anyone had ever watched a nutnfancy video, I'll tell you I agree with one of his bug out principals big time. Don't. It's my absolute last resort of last resorts, but if I do, I'll want the light weapon, and light ammo, so I can carry more of it. I'll still wish I had a fighting gun, but being on the move means you have less to defend, so you just avoid every thing, and every one you can.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I think an AR or AK pistol certainly has a place as a get home gun too, because they can be carried in a discreet case like a tennis raquet bag or backpack or even concealed under a jacket with the right sling.

Plus a get home scenario is generally short term and wouldn't require as much ammo. You probably wouldn't be hunting with it, only using it for self protection.

I agree that the distance from home is a big factor in deciding which weapon goes in the Get Home Bag. When we travel out of state, I usually have an AR pistol in a softball bat bag and a .22 pistol.

In state, it is just my GHB and a CCW pistol.

When I drive to Alaska, it will be a .22 rifle and 12 gauge shotgun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom