• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Got a line on a fluted 16" piston barrel for my LMT MRP for 200$.
    Don't know much about this round though, seems like it has faded out as the .300 has risen to glory.
    Should I pass?
    Is the 6.8 worth having?
    Opinions please.
    Thanks,

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have 6.8 and like it but I also like the 45GAP round so I'm probably not someone to take advice from. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have 6.8 and like it but I also like the 45GAP round so I'm probably not someone to take advice from. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

I've shot Charlie's. Depends on what job you have for it, but for $200 you can't go too far wrong.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Anybody that poo-poos the 6.8 probably has neither shot one nor owns one. It's a great round especially here in IN. If you reload, there are some great recipes out there for bullet/powder combos to really take advantage of the 6.8.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, it is a better hunting cartridge than either the 6.5 Grendel or the .300 BO to ~300 yards. The BO is a better short to medium range defense round and the Grendel is a better long range paper puncher. If you want rifle primarily for hunting or you want one that does all the above reasonably well, then the 6.8 may be the answer for you.

That said, I would pass on the LMT and get an AR Performance unless you are married to the idea of having a piston setup.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    IMO, it is a better hunting cartridge than either the 6.5 Grendel or the .300 BO to ~300 yards. The BO is a better short to medium range defense round and the Grendel is a better long range paper puncher. If you want rifle primarily for hunting or you want one that does all the above reasonably well, then the 6.8 may be the answer for you.

That said, I would pass on the LMT and get an AR Performance unless you are married to the idea of having a piston setup.

My nephew and I have killed several deer with a couple of my 6.8 SPC2 rifles. The one I made for him is a lightweight CHF SS PSA barrel, and it's sub-MOA, but it's pretty picky about what it's sub-MOA with. Mine is an AR15performance nitrided 18" tapered midweight 3-R, and it's 0.6 MOA as well, but it less sensitive to particular loadings. Very, very happy with that barrel!! I run the 95gr TTSX, and it's surprisingly devastating out to 250-270yrds. I wasn't super impressed by the one I shot at 305yrds with it this year, as it opened up, but just made a 1" hole through and through on a double lung shot, without just blowing up the lungs via hydrostatic shock, like it does at closer range. The heavier and/or lead-core bullets (120gr SST, etc.) are apparently very effective out to 350-ish. The 95 TTSX hollow point opens up out to around 350 with my loadings, but like above, as the speed gets down, you lose some of that hydraulic pressure (hydrostatic) shock.

Mike

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In

The reason for the LMT barrel is that I already have an .556 piston MRP and this is a quick change barrel that just drops in there. Is there another reason that LMT should be a pass?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The reason for the LMT barrel is that I already have an .556 piston MRP and this is a quick change barrel that just drops in there. Is there another reason that LMT should be a pass?

No, I'm sure the LMT is fine my comment was based one ARP barrels being made to wring everything possible out of the 6.8.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    May I ask why the 6.8 barrel is fluted? They don't come that way from LMT. I would be more concerned who did the fluting.

Don't know who fluted it, but LMT barrels are bull barrels and really heavy.
    hadn't thought about fluting issues, maybe I'll wait on an unfluted one.

Top Bottom