• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Hadn't seen anybody post about the new factory caliber from Winchester released last week at SHOT.

350 Legend.

Looks like they pretty much took the wildcat .357 rimless AR/.357 rimless maximum and put it into production with a 1.7" brass.

Winchester claims "fastest straight wall cartridge" though I believe both S&W 460 and 500 are faster given the same barrel lengths (but not chambered in ARs to my knowledge).

Stuffed in 145, 150, 160, 180, and 265 subsonic.

Good numbers, too. I'm really excited about this. 150 gr "deer season" round is supposed to hit over 2200 fps from a 20" barrel I believe. I've been wanting a .357 caliber AR for years, and am happy that it's now in production rifles. Hope it catches on like it should.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01/21/shot-2019-winchester-new-350-legend/

Winchester putting it already in their low-end bolt rifle; CMMG has it in their resolute AR-style rifle:

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01/26/shot-show-2019-cmmg-resolute-350-legend/

https://winchester.com/350-Legend

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What happened to the good ol days of semi normal cartridge naming.

350 Winchester.....sounds like a round that would be around for decades

350 Legend.....sounds like a cartridge a grandfather tells his grandkid: "back in the day this was an amazing cartridge, but it became obsolete within 3 years"

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What happened to the good ol days of semi normal cartridge naming.

350 Winchester.....sounds like a round that would be around for decades

350 Legend.....sounds like a cartridge a grandfather tells his grandkid: "back in the day this was an amazing cartridge, but it became obsolete within 3 years"

They probably wanted to make a clear distinction that it was a new cartridge since 350 Winchester also sounds pretty similar to .35 Winchester and .351 Winchester to those that are unfamiliar with the older cartridges.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They probably wanted to make a clear distinction that it was a new cartridge since 350 Winchester also sounds pretty similar to .35 Winchester and .351 Winchester to those that are unfamiliar with the older cartridges.

Thought about that but there's a ton of people who don't know those cartridges so they'd never get confused with them; at the same time 380 goes by 9x17, 9mm kurz, 9mm browning court, 9mm browning courto, 9mm short, etc.

Cartridge world is full of "close but not quite" calibers or calibers that have a ton of different names but are the same depending on when they were made or who made the gun at the time.

It's just education about your purchase. That being said there's plenty of people out there bought 45 GAPs thinking they were ACPs....or 45 Colts

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thought about that but there's a ton of people who don't know those cartridges so they'd never get confused with them; at the same time 380 goes by 9x17, 9mm kurz, 9mm browning court, 9mm browning courto, 9mm short, etc.

Cartridge world is full of "close but not quite" calibers or calibers that have a ton of different names but are the same depending on when they were made or who made the gun at the time.

It's just education about your purchase. That being said there's plenty of people out there bought 45 GAPs thinking they were ACPs....or 45 Colts

Don't get me wrong, I don't think confusion with those particular cartridges is all that likely but from a marketing standpoint you want a new cartridge to have a name that stands out and there are a lot of cartridges with the Winchester name.

I've been in enough gun shops to know that more than a few people are not all that educated about their purchases though, so it pays to make things as clear as possible for some. :):

Top Bottom