• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive had pretty good luck with Bear Creek Arsenals barrels on a couple cheap plinking builds. One is a 20" ss spiral fluted barrel that gets me 2 moa at 100 yards with just cheap pmc bronze ammo. Other is a 10.5" barrel that ive only shot out to 50 yards with but accuracy was just as good at that range. When you catch sales you can find their barrels under $50.
    Haven't tried classic firearms so cant attest to theirs

The 20" barrel ive run well over 2k rounds thru so far with zero issues or drop in accuracy

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Pretty happy with my 18" Palmetto full rifle gas Wylde chamber

Took it out for a shake down. 200rds fired about 9 different flavors both steel and brass cases. The 1-7 shoots 75grn nice. Only issue I had was short stroking. Changed to a better gas block and that solved it.

Fax on getting good reviews. Probably out of budget if you're looking cheap.

Might want to post a want add here. Hecht Palmetto stuff is selling so cheap just grab an upper.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Used a couple of their 300BO bbls for some plinkers and no complaints.

Picked up a 18" fluted 5R Wylde from Midway a few years ago and have had great results. Not as low price as Classic though. YMMV.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Cheap??? Stick to Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, Green Mountain, and PSA Premium CHF

Larue Stealth and PredatAR barrels have been selling for super cheap as well. You get a hell of a lot for your money with them. Only downside is they seem to be frequently over gassed, which can be remedied with an adjustable gas block.

Those are the best budget options out there. Their barrels are quality. Personally, I wouldn't screw around trying unknown brands. The ones I listed are well regarded and consistently put out a good barrel.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Therea been a handful of folks try the Classic Firearms and Bear Creek barrels out for highpower competition. The general consensus is that they are hit and miss. If you get a good one, they are capable of <moa accuracy with appropriate handloads. If it's a bad one, you might see more like 1.5-2 moa. No, they aren't a Krieger, but they aren't $450 either.

I got one last year. It looks the part, no cosmetic issues to speak of. I have not mounted it up to try it out, so I can't give a first hand account of accuracy.

For a pinker, I'd say go for it. Worst case, you're out $60 for something still plenty capable of hitting a 2 moa target.

The most inexpensive option for a sure 'nuff real deal is a White Oak button barrel. $230 for a 20" post ban, .750" under the gas block. Good to go.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Bear Creek barrels

I bought TWO of these a couple of months ago==A .223 Wylde, and a .300 BlackOut...Both new in the tubes..I have not assembled them to the uppers , but I got them BOTH shipped to my door (PO) for under $85.00//

Try that with the "Big Boys"??? HA.HA.HA...Bill..

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I bought TWO of these a couple of months ago==A .223 Wylde, and a .300 BlackOut...Both new in the tubes..I have not assembled them to the uppers , but I got them BOTH shipped to my door (PO) for under $85.00//

Try that with the "Big Boys"??? HA.HA.HA...Bill..
    So, what you’re saying is, I bought two lengths of iron tubing for $85 one with a bigger hole than the other. They MIGHT work for their intended purpose, or they might not.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    So, what you’re saying is, I bought two lengths of iron tubing for $85 one with a bigger hole than the other. They MIGHT work for their intended purpose, or they might not.

You are absolutely RIGHT..

I live my life with the power of positive thinking, and I see no reason to think that these will not give me good service==There will ALWAYS be negative people/thoughts in this world..

I guess if they turn out to be trash, they will make expensive tent stakes..

If I can remember it, I will post a review of them when they are completed..Bill.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You are absolutely RIGHT..

I live my life with the power of positive thinking, and I see no reason to think that these will not give me good service==There will ALWAYS be negative people/thoughts in this world..

I guess if they turn out to be trash, they will make expensive tent stakes..

If I can remember it, I will post a review of them when they are completed..Bill.

For a plinker the Bca barrels have been good to go for me. I've built 2 ars with these barrels and zero issues. 2 moa at 100 for just a plinker with cheap ammo is good enough to punch paper in my opinion. Haters gonna hate. For a precision build or duty build, yeah i would go for a better barrel. Op wants a cheap plinking barrel and these will work for that purpose.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    For a plinker the Bca barrels have been good to go for me. I've built 2 ars with these barrels and zero issues. 2 moa at 100 for just a plinker with cheap ammo is good enough to punch paper in my opinion. Haters gonna hate. For a precision build or duty build, yeah i would go for a better barrel. Op wants a cheap plinking barrel and these will work for that purpose.

THANKS for the POSITIVE information kauf.
    I like your thinking..

Yeah, I do have a couple of bolt guns in my safe that will place one bullet behind the other..These would be built just to see how much fun I can have with them..Bill.

Top Bottom