• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silvaj2131

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Inherited a savage anschutz 54 Sporter and have little knowledge about the gun. Anyone on here own one and could give me a better background on them? I have researched some things about them and it seems like I get mixed results and most of them don't have the sights that I have. Unfortunately I have not been able to shoot this rifle yet. Although it has been inspected and it is in great conditioning, I do not know if its worth shooting this gun or preserving it?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    First, it's a shooter, not a collector. They are pretty, but there were a ton made. Some of them are quite accurate rifles, being "Savage" in name only (thankfully, for THAT era).

Talking points:

1) Until you are educated on how, and have a good 1-piece rimfire rod and a bore guide for that action, do NOT clean it's bore with anything but a NEW pull-through intended for .22 rimfire. Damage to rimfire barrels is irrevocable, and almost all of it is due to poor cleaning methods.

I'd rather you didn't clean the bore at ALL rather than mishandle it.

2) Keep it. It's a wonderful little rifle, the modern equivalent of which would cost you well north of a $1,000 bill. Or 2.

If you do not keep it, look me up.

3) Do NOT mess with the trigger unless you have prior history working on Annie triggers. Like the barrels, there's little an average dude can do here except damage.

4) Grab two boxes of Eley Target/Club, SK Rifle Match, or Wolf Match Extra next time you see some in a store. Eley Match in the black boxes if you really want a show!

Lay some of those into a target at 50 yards, and see how big your smile gets.

We want pictures...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh. And I'd be happy to take a look over it for you sometime, check mounts, torques, etc. and show you bolt takedown, etc.

If you find you need new rings for a scope, Kelbly's in Ohio makes the best there are. Call them.

Possum Hollow is who you need to call for a rod guide. He's in Ft.Wayne...CALL him and explain what you have.

The 54's barrel is not on-center, and as such, the rod guide is a real PITA to get right, but he will set you up.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I agree with everything natdscott says......those are wonderfull rifles and have a fantastic trigger on them.....if your near ft Wayne, I will look it over for ya if you want.......and if you hate it, let me know I am all ways willing to add one more to the collection

Pictures......we need pictures!

silvaj2131

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info!

Sounds like it is a fortunate thing that I have not shot this gun yet nor have I cleaned it. Would you suggest just having a dedicated pull through for this rifle?

jdub8301

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2016
    Bloomington
    54 Sporters definitely have a following. There are several variations. A few that would mean higher value for you included:
    long tang trigger guard
    banded barrel for rear sight
    bossed barrel for front sight
    23.5 inch barrel
    And as always, nice wood.
    They are great shooting rifles. Go have some fun and give us pictures.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No knock on Natdscott, but I prefer the Talley rings if you plan to scope it. Just bought some Kelbly rings and , MAN are they ugly. They look real durable though. "Best there is", I believe is a subjective judgement.
    Mine is quite accurate. Enjoy it. They are made to be used. Ejection can be spotty so watch as you retract the bolt to make sure the empty clears out.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No knock on Natdscott, but I prefer the Talley rings if you plan to scope it. Just bought some Kelbly rings and , MAN are they ugly. They look real durable though.

They are certainly that. I wish they'd make some out of steel, and maybe a narrow 2-screw, or even a 1-screw, just for rimfire. Also, polished and blued. But Kelbly are so tightly fit to an Anschutz rail (when you CALL and tell them what you need), that I had to grease the rail on the rifle to get them installed; I bet 5 in/lbs would have held them.

Talley makes GREAT rings.

I have had two sets of their bolt-on one piece rings, and they are awesome.

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Can use Burris Zee rings.

With these

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/ANSCHUTZ-11mm-to-WEAVER-SCOPE-RAIL-ADAPTERS-p72157680

428720527.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Sorry for the delay.

Hookeye's idea is fine. And I LOVE J&P's existence in the marketplace, and love their products.

That being said, due to the designed lubricity of Delrin, a good number of rings do not apply enough force to the rail adapters to prevent them from moving under recoil.

The use of the exact same ​setup as Hookeye showed above (except it was a Bushnell Elite Tactical) was the way I figured out that Anschutz cuts their rails as the LAST operation before bluing: I had a scope move nearly 10mm forward in the rail over many many rounds of shooting, and it held zero.

Neat story I know, but it still pointed out the issue with the product.

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    J&P explicitly states that the adapters are only to be used w Burris Zee rings.

Was going to go that route on my Anschutz 184, but used reg Burris Aluminum .22 rings on the factory slots and at 30 in lbs to the clamp, they held fine.
    Did the same on my CZ455. Maybe some offset doing that, but scopes got no marks and zeroed fine.
    For a hunting rig I thought it good enough.

If I score a 141M I'll go J&P and Burris

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I explicitly used Burris Zee rings. :)

It still moved, despite my best torque wrench.

What did you torque them to?
    Anschutz and CZ grooved receivers. w alloy Burris .22 rings, hold OK at 30 in lbs.
    Only done two.
    Prev Anschutz was w steel rings and no torque wrench, so dunno what that was.
    No slide though.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What did you torque them to?
    Anschutz and CZ grooved receivers. w alloy Burris .22 rings, hold OK at 30 in lbs.
    Only done two.
    Prev Anschutz was w steel rings and no torque wrench, so dunno what that was.
    No slide though.

Ha! You ask too much of my potatobrain. I would guess I torqued it down to whatever they said I needed to to avoid crushing the plastic.

Either way, 18 oz worth of scope was free to move under ~150 rounds worth of Eley Target or Club or whatever British ammo I was shooting that day...

-Nate

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom