• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Is it just a list of brand names from high dollar down to budget build? Or do they actually explain the difference in quality of these models over others?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Is it just a list of brand names from high dollar down to budget build? Or do they actually explain the difference in quality of these models over others?

I have the same perception! Many people become biased by hearing how great a certain firearm is after reading a glowing report from a purchaser that paid twice the price of a certain style gun. My son and I have a fairly large collection of guns in calibers from 17 HMR to 50 BMG. Some are the higher priced guns such as Kimber, Remington 700, Colts and S&W, Winchesters etc., others are "economy" firearms like Cobra, Jennings etc..

In reality most of the difference I have found is in fit and finish (and substantially more advertising money spent). Granted, I have had to do more "tuning" to some of the cheaper handguns especially in the feed ramps and polishing of the fire control groups. Once I have removed all burrs, polished some areas and straightened magazine lips, I have found almost all the cheap firearms as reliable as the expensive ones!

I will grant you that some expensive units do have better accuracy due to more expensive hammer forged, air gauged barrels, but except for competitive shooting or extreme range this is not a big deal to me. For hunting or plinking purposes ALL the AR's I have shot are more capable than I am!

In the case of AR's if the parts meet mil spec they have to be made of basically the same material and meet the dimensions of the original blueprints. Granted the "expensive" ones may have some time spent at the maker/assemblier for polishing finishing etc. but those are things I can do for free, except for my time.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Any list that leaves off sons of liberty gun works in favor of an mp15 loses credibility with me.

I'd agree. They need to add:
    SOLGW, Sionics, Larue, Knights, LMT, FN, and PSA Premium (they had the junk one listed)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They might not review ARs that don't show up on the local gun shops shelves at some point in the year either...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I will tell you companies that I don't like. The ones that lower their prices several hundred dollars after I buy one of them :(

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Mental health life pro tip: Never check prices post purchase.
    I try not to, but it was in the article... I just lost my shirt on some S&W Shields that I bought years ago and only shot one time out. I didnt realize the prices new were almost half... :faint:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So many good platforms in so many different categories.

I still think the best filter is an old one: task, condition, standard.

If I know I will be in "contact", say I am a cop, I would go higher on the food chain, Colt, Bravo, maybe LMT.

Say I am a plinker, just looking to have some fun at the range, well, that $500 Ruger looks right.

Training class junkie, well, I likely have disposable income for a LaRue or Barrett.

Just "in case", S&W Sport IIs in the grease in the back of the safe. Buy 3 of them for one Barrett.

Maybe I am in a skilled trade, T&D, machinist, even electrician or a former MM in the USN. "Building" my own does not scare me, heck, I can make one better. Cool, butnothing on the list is good for you. Just make my own list.

Let 10,000 flowers bloom.

Top Bottom