Shotgun rental in northern indiana/southern michigan/western ohio?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I'm looking to purchase a few shotguns this year and focus on clay sports and hunting throughout the shooting season. Are there any ranges, shops, or clubs where I could rent some of the mid level semi autos to see what I like/dislike, ideally on a skeet/trap/sporting clays course?

I'm looking at everything from browning, beretta, benelli, franchi etc...as far as price range and while I have handled most of what I'm interested in, I would be interested in actually putting rounds through the guns before purchasing if possible.

I've done some searching with no positive results, though I've found several clubs that I will shoot/compete at within a reasonable distance. Just seem to have an issue finding a place to try the guns out before purchasing. Any help is appreciated.

Specific guns I'm interested in are the a400 series - both xcel and xplor action -, current production browning a5's, benelli's of all flavors and franchi's but I'm not limited to these

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Any particular reason why you're thinking semi-auto over pump?

I don't have much experience with skeet, trap or sporting clays but when I have shot sporting clays the rentals were plain jane Remington 870s. When I had a chance to pick up an 870 Express for under two bills that's what I did. I figured It would give me a chance to see if I wanted to get more into the sport and figure out what worked and didn't. If I don't like it, I still have a reliable 12 gauge pump that can fill a number of other roles or be sold for what I paid for it.

You may be further down the road then me and already know you plan to shoot a lot of these types of matches. But if you're not sure yet, you may want to look at something that can fill multiple roles rather than a specific trap gun.

Just my :twocents:.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I have and have owned several shotguns of different varieties over the years (pump guns and semi-autos). I'm just getting ready to get into a bit higher caliber of shotgun and know the direction I want to head in, but would like to get rounds down range through them if possible. Little things - like kick-off or not on the berettas for instance - where opinion varies from person to person, are things I would like to try first hand.

It's not a big deal if i can't, as I generally don't mind spending the cash in exchange for experience. But if the opportunity is there then I may as well use it. In reality I'll probably end up with two or three and this will just weed out the order that they are purchased in but hands on time is worth a try rather than relying on anecdotes.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been where you are. My advice is to go to the range in Spencerville with ammo in your range bag and a beat up old shotgun. Talk to people. Someone with a fine shotgun just might offer to let you use theirs for a round. If not, you can still shoot yours, and look at, and maybe handle the shotgun you seek. People come to Spencerville from all over the Midwest.

I have never seen expensive semi-auto shotguns available for rent. But I have not been to every range...….

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I will certainly have to make my way over to Spencerville soon. My grandfather shot there for years and my mother worked in the pits there as a kid but for some reason it skipped my mind completely. Thank you for the reminder.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    If you are going to shoot skeet ignore those who mentioned a pump. Too hard to be good with a pump at true skeet. 5-stand you can use a pump but at an official skeet course a pump takes you off target on the doubles. My teenage twin sons are in a two youth Clay clubs. In their opinion (and they are very good at it) they use a semi-auto inertia 12 gauge for skeet. For Trap they use an over /under. Most people who shoot Trap in a group frown on semi-autos because of the ejection hitting the person next to them. Most of the places they shoot Trap at will make you get a shell catcher on your semi-auto. Plus using an over / under on Trap allows for two different size chokes so that on doubles you can hit the long 2nd shots. So, if you have the funds get a semi-auto for the skeet and an over / under for Trap. If you can only afford one get an over / under. Mossberg Silver Reserve II is a low cost very accurate over under.

Top Bottom