• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highcottonguide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    I've been considering a good bolt action rifle in .22lr and I'm looking for input on the new CZ457. Anybody have this and or other recommendations? good scope combo for the rifle?
    Mainly, will be used for plinking and squirrels.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've been considering a good bolt action rifle in .22lr and I'm looking for input on the new CZ457. Anybody have this and or other recommendations? good scope combo for the rifle?
    Mainly, will be used for plinking and squirrels.[/QUOTE

If CZ is your poison of choice, I'd look for a used 452. I don't like the switch bbl ability of the 455. Only plus I see on the 457 is that the safety runs like guns we're used to, not backwards like previous models.
    I recently bought a Tikka T1X and I'm very pleased with it so far. It's one idiosyncrasy is that there are only 10 rd magazine's available currently and they stick out a bit.

For a bit more money you can get a little classier with a Steyr Zephyr.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The Ruger American Rimfire is another good choice. It uses the same mags as the 10/22, has a good trigger and the stock is somewhat adjustable on the synthetic models.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a CZ 455 FS that I'm quite pleased with. Handy little gun, good quality. No scope though. Good luck getting those tree rats!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A big change from the 455 to the 457 is the bolt. It’s 60 degree instead of 90 degrees now, the action is about an inch shorter and it’s a lighter bolt. The 457 trigger is now adjustable for weight, creep and overtravel.

As far as I’m concerned, unless you found a screaming deal on a 455 there isn’t a good reason to buy one over a 457. If look at 452 if looking used or 457s for new if you want a CZ.

Look at the Hawke Vantage for optics.

BT has a good recommendation on the American. Nice rifles. I’ve got a Talo edition 22 and my wife has the Target version in 17. The quality on both felt equivalent to the CZ455 we had.

My abolished favorite bolt action 22 is my Browning T-bolt. It’s the lightest rifle in the safe and I love the straight pull action.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It would be hard to beat the speed of a T-bolt for fast follow ups on squirrels but they will run a bit more than a CZ. A Tikka T1x would be my next choice followed by a 452 over later CZ models.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have several CZ bolt action rimfires, in 22 LR, 17 HM2, 17 HMR, and 22 WMR. Both 452's and 455's. Don't have a 457 yet, but I probably will. Hard to beat them for value for price paid, if you place a high value on wood and steel and accuracy, as opposed to synthetic stocks, etc... Plenty of good bargains nowdays on quality 22's, but the CZ's are a step up from the bargain buys.

Any decent scope, in combination with Warne 722 rimfire rings will suit your CZ just fine.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just shot my Ruger American Rimfire Stainless 22lr for the first time last weekend and am very satisfied with it. I tried several different rounds and it did well with most. I mounted a Bushnell 2-7x AR Optic with side focus that adjusts as close as 10 yards.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I should put my Leupold Freedom VX EFR on my 455 and see what it'll do at 50 yards w match ammo.
    Only shot it at 25 w diff scope and a CCI Blazer and Minimag and it was nothing outstanding.
    But then my Match bbl'd 1022 shoots the same with that stuff.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    CZ 452 is a sweet shooter. I put a Vortex Diamondback 2-7 on mine and it’s leaps and bounds better than all the 22s I’ve shot in the past. I bought mine new a few years ago when Whittaker’s placed a special order but it looks like even they are out. I can’t comment on the other suggestions, but I’m sure they would be great as well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The biggest "complaint" with the 455 was that CZ got rid of the threaded barrel/action and went to 2 set screws and a "quick change" barrel. It's proven reliable at this point.

With the 457 keeping the same barre/receiver interface and getting a 60 degree bolt, there is no reason to get a 452 or 455. It'll be a good reliable gun if you want a CZ.

Personally, I'm going to give the Tikka a try once they're more available.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I have the 455 tacticool with factory cz rings and a Nikon prostaff rimfire. No clearance issues at all. I love the rifle, it’s my suppressor host and is tons of fun. Accurate little guy

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I handled an MTR last week. Very nice quality, very solid and the weight reflects that. I didn’t find the stock particularly comfortable, but I struggle with stocks with thick pistol grips. Carson’s in Terre Haute had 3 that were priced well.

While browsing today, I came across a 457 ProVarmint priced aggressively. A bit heavy, but it’s balanced really well. The bolt is finished noticeably better than the one that was in my 455. The action is much smoother. We will see how this one does.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I handled an MTR last week. Very nice quality, very solid and the weight reflects that. I didn’t find the stock particularly comfortable, but I struggle with stocks with thick pistol grips. Carson’s in Terre Haute had 3 that were priced well.

While browsing today, I came across a 457 ProVarmint priced aggressively. A bit heavy, but it’s balanced really well. The bolt is finished noticeably better than the one that was in my 455. The action is much smoother. We will see how this one does.

That's great. Bring it along to the FGE. I'd love to lay hands on one.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have the 455 tacticool with factory cz rings and a Nikon prostaff rimfire. No clearance issues at all. I love the rifle, it’s my suppressor host and is tons of fun. Accurate little guy

I don't have clearance issues with my 455 either, but I will say I like the 50 degree throw on my KSA better than the 90 degree on the CZ. Knowing that, I'd go for a 457 if I was in the market for another 22.

Top Bottom