• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccityguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Columbia City
    After finding so-so reports going both ways about the Malaysian surplus 7.62 and the M1a, I figured I would try it and report for the next guy.

So the good news, I ran 40 rounds that came packed in the .50 cal ammo cans through my new Springfield M1a standard and all fired reliably and ejected with no problems. Accuracy with that rifle was about 2-3moa using iron sights at 100 yards.

Also ran some through my FAL and they cycled with no problem, same thing with the PTR91 A3S.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If you go to www.m14forum.com and look in the ammo section you will find all kinds of information.
    There are a few sticky posts on what to avoid using in the M1A. Biggest one I can think of is Indian.
    My brother had a ton of the the Indian stuff, it shot great in his FAL. About the 2nd round of it through my M1A the case split at the rim,around the primer and the rim on the other side.
    It blew the rest of the ammo out the bottom of the mag, bending the floor plate.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think I've got about 1000 rounds of the Malaysian on hand I think. I'm saving it for my Century C308. It's a brass chewer, so I don't mind using the Berdan primed stuff in it since I won't be saving the brass for reloading.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Question for you gentlemen-what are some good deals for range ammo for an M1A?
    I don’t know how much Malaysian is still out there but that is what everyone was stocking up on last year. Lake City popped up for awhile under 50 cents a few times. You just have to keep an eye open and be ready.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don’t know how much Malaysian is still out there but that is what everyone was stocking up on last year. Lake City popped up for awhile under 50 cents a few times. You just have to keep an eye open and be ready.

SGAmmo still has Korean (made by PMC - boxer primed and non-corrosive) surplus from the 1980's for 45 cents a round with ammo can. They still have the Malaysian for as low as 40 cents a round (if you buy 900 rounds).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even with shipping and insurance that came to .43 a round! Thanks DD.

You're welcome! :yesway: Honestly I don't know why I bother bookmarking other ammo sites. I almost always end up buying from SGAmmo. Reasonable (and quick) shipping, and good prices. Worth getting on their email list too.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You're welcome! :yesway: Honestly I don't know why I bother bookmarking other ammo sites. I almost always end up buying from SGAmmo. Reasonable (and quick) shipping, and good prices. Worth getting on their email list too.
    I had something come up once after ordering where I was called out of town. I contacted them to let them know. They immediately pulled my order off to the side and sent it a few days later. Great customer service is not common.
    I contacted gunmagwarehouse for a problem with my order not long ago. They said they would look into it for me. 12 hours later, I get a notice that my order had shipped. Then the next day, they got back to me and said, too late, your order has shipped. I won't order from them again.

Top Bottom