• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    I am thinking about building my first AR-15 from a stripped lower. Are there any particular parts kits I should look for to complete a lower? Recommendations for trigger groups?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Its going to be all about how much you want to spend. You can get complete lower parts kits that come with grips and fcg groups from pretty much all the major names in the games(Anderson, Stag, Psa, and so on). Or you can get lpks that dont have a grip or fcg, so you can use a better trigger group and grip. I've used cmmg lpks without grip or fcg so i can use better parts there, as most kits come with just a cheap $5 grip and milspec fcg.
    I have become real partial to the Alg Act trigger as an upgrade that is not overly expensive, and as far as grips there's tons of options, all better than the cheap A2 that comes in most complete lpks.
    Like i said to start, its all whats in your budget.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A big consideration is the type if trigger you're looking for. Do you want a smooth single stage that's a step up from mil-spec? Then many manufacturers make an enhanced or polished lower parts kit (LPK) that work fine, including PSA or BCM. A good aftermarket option is the ALG trigger, which will work with any LPK. So if you don't have a specific trigger in mind, any "enhanced" parts kit will serve you well.

If you just want mil-spec, then most of the major manufacturers will be fine. Shoot the heck out of it to smooth it out.

If you want a 2-stage trigger then you're better off getting a kit without a trigger components and getting an after market or drop in trigger.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Red Barn Armory is my go-to. They offer a 'custom' lpk. It lets you choose all of the components you want (pins, grip, safety selector, trigger, trigger guard, etc.). Only as expensive as you make it. With mil-spec, BCM grip, BCM trigger guard, and an ALG ACT trigger, it comes out to $130. Good deal considering the Spike's enhanced and BCM lpks are about $120.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    AR rifles aren't worth squat I'd be buying complete guns. I heard Palmetto is practically giving rifle kits away.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Red Barn Armory is my go-to. They offer a 'custom' lpk. It lets you choose all of the components you want (pins, grip, safety selector, trigger, trigger guard, etc.). Only as expensive as you make it. With mil-spec, BCM grip, BCM trigger guard, and an ALG ACT trigger, it comes out to $130. Good deal considering the Spike's enhanced and BCM lpks are about $120.

Red Barn isn't good to go in my experience. I got an out of spec mag release assy. in my kit from them. Would not recommend. Replaced with BCM and learned my lesson.

I'd recommend going with one of the better known sellers (CMMG, Spikes, DD, BCM, Colt, etc...).

Personally, I won't buy another bargain bin LPK that was cobbled together by an internet website.

AR rifles aren't worth squat I'd be buying complete guns. I heard Palmetto is practically giving rifle kits away.

There's truth in this^^^ You can pick up a Colt 6920 for $700 when they go on sale. You can pick up a Larue UU kit that is a full rifle sans lower for $800. It used to be cheaper to build. I just can't piece stuff together for the prices some of the high quality manufacturers are selling for right now.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I heard somewhere, that parts is parts, so anything should do ya’ JAGA that expensive crap the snobs are touting?

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I’ve had good luck with damage industries parts, have used them on several builds. They have good deals and free shipping if you watch. And it’s an Indiana company.

The AR market is super soft right now. If you want to build that’s great. If you are doing it to save $, you can find amazing deals on factory or used guns right now. A factory gun will also retain value much better. That being said, I enjoy building and still do it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I went with the Geissele kit because it was reasonably priced and:
    1) I trust Geissele immensely. As one engineer to another, he speaks my language.
    2) I could get it without a trigger and keep my options open while I trigger shopped.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I have cheap kits from PSA in mine, but I've upgraded the triggers to the RISE armament RA-140 drop in triggers and I love them. Highly recommend any of the RISE drop ins

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    I have used several. CMMG, WOA, SOLGW and Spikes. All were quality and reasonable priced.

ALG QMS trigger, Spikes enhanced, SOLGW competition and Rise SST triggers.

Top Bottom