Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

AR-15 Lower parts kits?

I am thinking about building my first AR-15 from a stripped lower. Are there any particular parts kits I should look for to complete a lower? Recommendations for trigger groups?

User Info Menu

Its going to be all about how much you want to spend. You can get complete lower parts kits that come with grips and fcg groups from pretty much all the major names in the games(Anderson, Stag, Psa, and so on). Or you can get lpks that dont have a grip or fcg, so you can use a better trigger group and grip. I've used cmmg lpks without grip or fcg so i can use better parts there, as most kits come with just a cheap $5 grip and milspec fcg.
    I have become real partial to the Alg Act trigger as an upgrade that is not overly expensive, and as far as grips there's tons of options, all better than the cheap A2 that comes in most complete lpks.
    Like i said to start, its all whats in your budget.

ACC
    Expert

User Info Menu

On the budget side, I have had good luck with the CMMG LPKs

User Info Menu

A big consideration is the type if trigger you're looking for. Do you want a smooth single stage that's a step up from mil-spec? Then many manufacturers make an enhanced or polished lower parts kit (LPK) that work fine, including PSA or BCM. A good aftermarket option is the ALG trigger, which will work with any LPK. So if you don't have a specific trigger in mind, any "enhanced" parts kit will serve you well.

If you just want mil-spec, then most of the major manufacturers will be fine. Shoot the heck out of it to smooth it out.

If you want a 2-stage trigger then you're better off getting a kit without a trigger components and getting an after market or drop in trigger.
    Well the sheriff couldn't catch me now, but his little girl? Sure wish she would.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I've been ruined with good triggers in all of my rifles. It's just part of the investment for every rifle now.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Red Barn Armory is my go-to. They offer a 'custom' lpk. It lets you choose all of the components you want (pins, grip, safety selector, trigger, trigger guard, etc.). Only as expensive as you make it. With mil-spec, BCM grip, BCM trigger guard, and an ALG ACT trigger, it comes out to $130. Good deal considering the Spike's enhanced and BCM lpks are about $120.

User Info Menu

AR rifles aren't worth squat I'd be buying complete guns. I heard Palmetto is practically giving rifle kits away.
    I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    On the budget side, I have had good luck with the CMMG LPKs
    I agree with this. They are affordable, and CMMG is takes their quality seriously.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbickel View Post
    Red Barn Armory is my go-to. They offer a 'custom' lpk. It lets you choose all of the components you want (pins, grip, safety selector, trigger, trigger guard, etc.). Only as expensive as you make it. With mil-spec, BCM grip, BCM trigger guard, and an ALG ACT trigger, it comes out to $130. Good deal considering the Spike's enhanced and BCM lpks are about $120.
    Red Barn isn't good to go in my experience. I got an out of spec mag release assy. in my kit from them. Would not recommend. Replaced with BCM and learned my lesson.

I'd recommend going with one of the better known sellers (CMMG, Spikes, DD, BCM, Colt, etc...).

Personally, I won't buy another bargain bin LPK that was cobbled together by an internet website.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper 79 View Post
    AR rifles aren't worth squat I'd be buying complete guns. I heard Palmetto is practically giving rifle kits away.
    There's truth in this^^^ You can pick up a Colt 6920 for $700 when they go on sale. You can pick up a Larue UU kit that is a full rifle sans lower for $800. It used to be cheaper to build. I just can't piece stuff together for the prices some of the high quality manufacturers are selling for right now.
    Last edited by seedubs1; 02-12-2019 at 15:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by KG1 View Post
    You are the expert in all things read about on the internet.

User Info Menu

I heard somewhere, that parts is parts, so anything should do ya JAGA that expensive crap the snobs are touting?
    Last edited by Vigilant; 02-12-2019 at 16:23.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast