Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Tell me about it, ladies and gentlemen.
    It looks extraordinarily fast.
    Saw three rifles and 41 boxes of ammo at the Muncie gun show which had been sold sight unseen. Vendor said purchaser told him (over the phone) that he'd seen a coyote turned inside out at 400 yds by one.
    Possible?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The SSM cartridges have intrigued me since their inception. Inside out is an exaggeration, I'm pretty sure, but the concept of the short fat cartridges seems sound. I've seen a couple of pictures of head shot coyotes using the .243 WSSM that were very impressive. They will fit in AR 15 actions, I believe.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most every example I've seen of any caliber "super short magnum" appears cartoonish to me.
    I've always wondered about trying to force that much burned powder and gases through such a tiny neck.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I was shopping for one a few years ago but I kept seeing comments that the WSSM cases didn't feed reliably. This is all hearsay, so take it as such. As far as turning a coyote inside out, I ain't buying it. Perhaps with the proper angle in the paunch, there could be entrail pushed out, but I've had that with .50 muzzleloaders and .44 magnum rifles which are both at the other end of the spectrum in velocity.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Fifty is nifty.

Boo on coyotes. Boooo(m)!
    :) anything you can hit with that has enough cubic inches per second displacement.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    My buddy has 6 or 8 rifles in WSSM and WSM. They are all Brownings and this one that have been shot (I think 4 of them) all shoot really well. Biggest problem is consistently finding factory ammo (Winchester has went several times now for nearly a year without producing some of them) and when ammo becomes a problem the price goes high. Just two years ago some of this stuff was regularly 60+ per box. Another thing is extreme muzzle blast...we were coyote hunting one night and he shot with the 243 WSSM and the side of my face felt like I got slapped with the muzzle slightly in front of me and about 2 1/2 feet away. I dont own any of them yet, but if I was shooting 300 plus yards on a regular basis I would have one. Wife and I kill all our deer and antelope with 223's and 243 Win.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I own a .243 WSSM, a .25 WSSM, and a .358 WSSM. Both the .243(Model 70) and the .25(A-bolt) were specifically built around the WSSMs and feed perfectly. The .358 is a conversion from a .300 WSM Savage and it feeds most of the time but has a occasional hangups.

The claims of burning up barrels quickly are largely overblown in my opinion, as they usually are. If you intend to do high volume prairie dog shooting, competition shooting or mag dumps through an AR chambered in .223 WSSM then you will likely go through a few barrels(not to mention wracking up quite the $$$ in ammo). If you don't shoot an extremely high volume and keep the barrel relatively cool, your barrel will last a long time.

IMO, the WSSMs offer a lot of performance in usually short handy rifles. I wouldn't recommend taking the plunge if you rely solely on factory ammo but if you reload a WSSM is worth considering. My 3 WSSMs have been easy to reload and tend to be highly accurate. Both the Winchester and Hornady brass are high quality, normally available and last a long time.

Top Bottom