• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you wanted to build a dual purpose mostly-target-but-also-pig-and-deer-worthy AR10, what approach would you take?

What I've gleaned thus far:

1) Buy Upper/Lower/Handguard all from one company. Given the dicey world of AR10 compatibility, I think you have to take this approach. Plus, if you value accuracy, I think this is an imperative.
    2) Select match grade barrel of choice (Lilja, JP, Shilen, etc). 1:8 twist for 6.5CM, 1:10 twist for .308
    3) Caliber: .308 or 6.5CM (not finalized at this point).
    4) Side charge upper is requirement. You'll spend lots of time prone. Related: forward assist is probably desirable.
    5) Barrel will be 22" or 20" for weight and balance with a heavier profile barrel.

As much as I really, really like the Mega Maten setup, I'm very intrigued by the Gibbz receiver set and handguard integration. Aero is a great bargain, but lack of side charge sort of kills it IMO. I think you really, really want a side charger in this kind of rifle.

Finally-- am I wrong to consider that new Savage AR10? Side charge, adjustable gas, VERY reasonably priced for what it is...

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Savage has seen decent feedback since expanding into MSRs and they aren't exactly a pop-up, fly-by-night company either.

Personally I want the Gibbz setup, and for that money I suppose you might as well go AR10 route.

I like your list. I think it fairly well covers what you need. Oh, and an adjustable gas block to handle any potential AR10-esque issues.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a .308 Mega MaTen with an 18" Lilja barrel and adjustable gas, but do not have side charging. My experience is that side charging is unnecessary since you have to load single rounds in competition. I have a "mag-block" (I forget the nomenclature) that locks the bolt to the rear when fired and provides a contoured surface to load the next round, and I use that during a match. I'll look up the product if you're interested and I haven't described it well enough for you to find. It does not have a forward assist and, even though I prefer to have one, I've never missed it.

ETA: It was bugging me, so I looked it up and this is the closest thing I could find. Mine is made of aluminum an the bolt catch is adjustable, but it performs the same function.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...-25-service-rifle-legal-1-round-polymer-black

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm thinking about a 6.5 Creedmore AR10 myself. Looking at the Proof Research cf barrel in an Aero upper and lower. No idea yet if that combination is compatible.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Seeing the price of some DD large frame ARs on GoingBroker makes me think maybe a buy instead of build.

Well under $2k for DD isn’t bad at all.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I’ve seen full build JP Lrp-07 for sale around $2500. If A side charger is a must if maybe look into a used JP in the for sale forums. If you want to build I always have great luck with JP parts. Their customer service is top notch. I call with questions all the time because they make eight different versions of all their parts and they always point me in the right direction.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm thinking about a 6.5 Creedmore AR10 myself. Looking at the Proof Research cf barrel in an Aero upper and lower. No idea yet if that combination is compatible.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Seeing the price of some DD large frame ARs on GoingBroker makes me think maybe a buy instead of build.

Well under $2k for DD isn’t bad at all.

Holy crap! I just realized that for the last, maybe year, I've read "Hohn" as "Hop" and have been replying to threads thinking it was one person. I personally know Hop, have always know that was his INGO name, and have no idea how I failed to realize this. :n00b::scratch::facepalm:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Holy crap! I just realized that for the last, maybe year, I've read "Hohn" as "Hop" and have been replying to threads thinking it was one person. I personally know Hop, have always know that was his INGO name, and have no idea how I failed to realize this. :n00b::scratch::facepalm:

Been tapping into that dentist laughing gas again eh??

:alcoholic:

Top Bottom