• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Thinking of trading one of my Ar-15s for a sig 556 (the one with the fish gills). I dont know much about them other than sig discontinued them and they are heavy. Looking for any feedback from anyone who has experience with them?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I love mine. It's very heavy with the quad rail but shoots great with an Eotech 512 on it. I'm not a huge fan of the sling mounts on mine but the side folding stock is excellent.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I have never owned one but I have seen a lower or two crack or break around the trigger guard (lowers are plastic).. I occasional see them pop up for sale on forums and normally they always broke.... but with that said its as close to the 550 platform as we can get affordably and if i could find one price reasonably i would pick one up to do a poor mans 553 conversion too. But that parts are outrageously expensive for sigs.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Explain please?

My main issue with it was the sight rail. It was not remotely flat/straight due to **** poor fit and finish on the upper part of the receiver. You couldn't really mount anything to it. To attempt to rectify the situation, I replaced the hand guard and that rail with a Troy fore end (which was one piece on the Troy version). When I took the rail off, a bunch of shims fell out from underneath it. So, someone at the factory knew it wasn't right and tried to shim the rail to get it close to being straight. I messed with it for a while and found that it was far worse without the shims. The Troy rail was a lot beefier and mostly corrected the issue since it didn't conform to the shape of the receiver, although it left a gap in spots.

The front of the bolt was also hitting a piece of metal sticking into the receiver as it closed, causing a small burr on the bolt (I thought it was something I fixed, but I was thinking of a different rifle). This was an issue with some early 556s and was later corrected by Sig.

I did not care for the cheap furniture, which was fine since I had to replace the fore end anyway to help with the rail issue. I ended up replacing the butt stock also.

After dumping a bunch of money into mine to get it right, the rifle just irritated me and I got rid of it.

I will say that I do not remember it ever malfunctioning.

The nail in the Sig coffin for me was when Sig started promoting a free cheap chinese red dot with a purchase of a 556 (not too long before they were discontinued). To me it just looked like they were trying to get rid of crap rifles by giving away crappier red dots with them. That's the kind of stuff you see from places like CDNN, not Sig. After that I just wrote Sig off all together.

Last edited:

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have had a P556 SWAT (converted to a SBR) for a while, and have never had an issue. It has also been through a 1-day tactical rifle class, although nothing too crazy. My only complaints are weight (it's a heavy little spud), and I can't put an AAC QD mount on because it gets in the way of removing the gas piston/tube. I would like to swap out the quad rail hand guard, but my understanding is that the factory would have to do that.

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I just picked this up in a trade

a2t0ux.jpg

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Well i stand corrected on the lowers they are aluminum but i do see why iv seen a few break at the trigger guard tangs. Its quite thinner on the one side than the other. Anyways i just found 556 pistol at a good price from a Guy in Ohio that was willing to drive over to my local FFL. So now the long process of researching and locating parts has begun to try and convert this back to a Sig 552 SBR clone. I thank you Stack23 for re-sparking my interest in building one of these!

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Well i stand corrected on the lowers they are aluminum but i do see why iv seen a few break at the trigger guard tangs. Its quite thinner on the one side than the other. Anyways i just found 556 pistol at a good price from a Guy in Ohio that was willing to drive over to my local FFL. So now the long process of researching and locating parts has begun to try and convert this back to a Sig 552 SBR clone. I thank you Stack23 for re-sparking my interest in building one of these!

Hey anytime man lol. I can't wait to get this thing to the range and see what it can do. Post a pic of the pistol when you get it! I'd like to see it

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Well here is a picture of what i picked up... Appears to be a early release fishgill much like your rifle. MFI Diopter sights should be my first upgrade if i can figure out which ones to order.

ZbhcUaQ.jpg

kFfNgAt.jpg

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Nice! Looks new?
    The guy i picked it up from bought it new wanted to SBR her and never shot it, its got a few scuffs from storage but otherwise in beautiful shape. Came with a romeo red dot as well. They look a little cheap but im sure i can find a use for it. I plan on just running diopter's for some reason i cant get enough of those sights.

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Put around 300 rounds of cheap steel tula ammo through the sig with zero issues. I think shes a keeper

24mxi8g.jpg

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Very nice im E-filing mine today never used it before so this will be interesting. But so far i found a 551a1 aluminum lower with sig brace (US made) but at least it takes swiss mags, and some swiss 550 handguards they will be cut down and drilled to look like 553 handguards once i locate a handguard retainer. Still on the hunt for a 4 prong US made version of the 552 flash hider (the thread pitch is different) and some diopter sights but i need to let the fund gun build up a little more before i order those. So hopefully ill be able to find a reasonably affordable stock once the form 1 comes back about $350 for a swiss stock (i wonder if take off US made ones are available) it will help with the 922R.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom